• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
@Monty Python is usually not far off the facts. He believes that that there was some form of hearing planned.

I'd imagine that the results of that hearing/judiciary will become public knowledge in due course. I wouldn't sweat on it. It matters little, as long as a fair hearing was held.

2 match suspension. Normal penalty is a long time on the sideline, but as he's a schoolboy, only 2 matches. I don't know much more than that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sio Tomkinson the number 12 for NZ won the bronze boot (best player of either side).

Connor Moroney the Australian 7 won best Australian player.

Each team gets a Bronze Boot chosen by the opposing
coaching staff.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How many and who of todays Oz schools side will be seen in super 15 or above?

Ironically the injured three left behind (Mafi, Hutchison and Crichton) would have been the most likely and it would depend how big Crichton got, to play his natural position of no.8.

On the other hand a fellow who can play in the centres and also 8 or 6, and kick goals, would give value in a squad.

Of the guys who played yesterday and are not back at school next year (as Goddard and McGregor are - and shouldn't be discussed) I would say Fifita and Fittock - not that you would notice Joey today because he only had one run.

Come to think of it: if Horwtiz can get a contract, O'Shea probably can too.

PS the blog on the game is up:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nz-schools-stop-aussie-schools-comeback/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You would want to think that a few more than 5 or 6 of the 25 players (not counting Jac Mac or Goddard who return to school next year) selected as the best Schoolboy talent in the country would be capable of eventually making it in to the big show (Super Rugby not Wallaby).

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
This from the Schools Website had me wondering which game I watched earlier today:
The Australian scrum did well in the early engages against New Zealand Schools despite the noticeable size advantage to the New Zealanders.
I can not recall watching a scrum get shunted as comprehensively as the Darkness did to us in the first scrum in a very very long time. If we did well as was reported, I'm somewhat flabbergasted as to what a poor performance would look like.

Haven't been able to watch the game again yet, but didn't we get the short arm penalty for that early shove in the first scrum? I think we were trying to play by the rules too much. After the first couple, I thought we just held our own. Only lost one tight head I think due to a ricochet from a second rower, and that silly hand penalty. As said earlier, given the weight difference, would have thought they did okay . . .

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Just watching the replay now. Rieko Ioane (The number 13 for NZ) has impressed me so far as well. He is making those good set plays NZ has done gel. Haven't seen the secound half yet.

I think there would be less mistakes if it was a dry game. It really did rain hard earlier on. Apart from the scrums I don't think the Australian forwards have done too badly so far.

Apparently nobody could feel their hands for the first 15 minutes or so - the sleet, hail, rain and wind during the end of warm up and to the end of the anthems froze them solid. Perhaps the NZ side was more accustomed to the conditions, which could explain some of the slow start?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I watched the replay with a current first grade prop. His comments : - "We were bitched". He lives and breathes the dark arts and as a current practitioner he is well placed to make an valid and objective assessment.

Not a lot of hooking in the modern scrum, particularly from the non-feeding team. "Tightheads" should be more accurately referred to as "Scrum turnovers", and are usually the result of a flaw in the technique of the whole scrum, like a ricochet, or a kick through from a second rowers foot or the like. Not indicative of a bad show by the Hooker.

Weight difference - Meh. When the 135kg fatty came on for The Darkness, their performance actually deteriorated. Size isn't everything. Many on this site have bemoaned the lack of some decently sized piggies with some mongrel in them, however I doubt that selecting a big Australian Bullock like Jack Bowditch, solely to get some weight into the forward pack, would have made much of a difference.

The Darkness based their game plan around set pieces, and appeared to have focused on that at training.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently nobody could feel their hands for the first 15 minutes or so - the sleet, hail, rain and wind during the end of warm up and to the end of the anthems froze them solid. Perhaps the NZ side was more accustomed to the conditions, which could explain some of the slow start?

The NZ side suffered a fairly bad case of the fumbles as well in the first half. I think the conditions had a similar impact on the Black team with both teams having slow starts while dealing with the cold conditions and a wet ball.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fox is a converted prop. Played there in the Under 16's for Qld Red so the dark arts would not be unfamiliar territory for him.

Bill McLean (32)
You would have to think that Mrs Fulivai will now proudly frame and hang her son's Australian Schools jersey right next to that of his dad's (one of the few which Albert earned in 1985-86).

For mine that would be a nice touch; so long as we don't see young Jordan hang a Raiders jersey on the same wall!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Now the tour is over. The speculation over how many, and which ones, will be lost to the dark side commences.

There are some very plausible whispers circulating. Seeking verification before publication.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Have you made the assumption that the scouts from the dark side know what they are doing any better than the selectors and other clipboards on our side?

Status
Not open for further replies.