• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)

Moeroa has still got a reasonable amount of toe for his size... ... ...

Most definitely; that's why I only stated 'a yard of pace'. But sometimes that yard is the difference between leaving your opposing player in your dust or being caught!

I would also suggest that those niggling injuries he has been carrying would not be helping his speed!

S

Sydneybra

He is still very fast, when he makes a break his pace is surprising

Bill McLean (32)
Tepai Moeroa and Taane Milne have both been named in a NSW 17's development team to play an England Academy team at the NSWIS on the 25th of July.

I noted the same in NSW Junior Rep thread, however the team has been revised from when I first seen it last week and surprise, surprise Milne and Moeroa are no longer there!

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...le=nsw-blues-under-17-development-squad-named

I'm guessing Milne has made his election (as I earlier stated) to stay with rugby, at least until after the Fiji and NZ tour (which he is a strong chance to make) ;)

Moeroa, I'll hazard a guess and suggest that he is injured. Can anyone confirm?

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
I noted the same in NSW Junior Rep thread, however the team has been revised from when I first seen it last week and surprise, surprise Milne and Moeroa are no longer there!

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...le=nsw-blues-under-17-development-squad-named

I'm guessing Milne has made his election (as I earlier stated) to stay with rugby, at least until after the Fiji and NZ tour (which he is a strong chance to make) ;)

Moeroa, I'll hazard a guess and suggest that he is injured. Can anyone confirm?

Is it possible their school advised them to withdraw from this game given the opening round of the GPS is this weekend? Yes/No

Bill McLean (32)
Is it possible their school advised them to withdraw from this game given the opening round of the GPS is this weekend? Yes/No

I have been told that Milne is letting his injuries heal! Injuries which he apparently carried into the Australian championship and Australian A game (I know I seen some knee strapping). Given that it is a much coveted NSWRL team, I can only assume that Milne is taking his rugby more seriously (i.e. he wants to be at peak fitness and readiness should he make the Oz touring team). Good on him!

G

G-78-XV-V

With the expanded touring squad to be announced on the 14th (23 to 28, I believe) and assuming that it will be 3 forwards and 2 backs .....are there any suggested inclusions after the performances from the current comp games?

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Brisbane:

Backs: - Sam Greene (10/15) Aus 'A'
- Jack Tuttle (12) Aus 'A'
Forwards: - Postale (2) Aus 'A'
- Tarr/Sikimeti (1/3) - Someone previously mentioned some odd selections with props with regards to positioning so these two have been outstanding for their respective teams in the GPS competition.

Sam Greene and Jack Tuttle have also held their respective backlines together, with Greene propelling his side into genuine contention with his personal heroics.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
What about Brad Wilkin? He only missed out on the chance to trial for the Tongan game due to injury and I believe he is nearly back to full fitness.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They'll probably take another two backs and three forwards.

I rate Greene, and with McIntyre and Horwitz, the 10 spot is well covered. With so many guys able to play fullback the versatility of Greene and McIntyre doesn't really signify.

I assume that they will not take a 3rd scrummie but fly someone in if there is an injury.

Who will be the other back?

Tuttle didn't play like we know he can at the Oz Schools Championships. He would have to be chosen on school form, not tournament or Oz A form. But they don't really need a 12 because Horwitz can cover Stewart there.

What the tour group needs is not another centre, but another winger, as 13. Robinson had to start on the wing against Tonga, and with no great distinction. 16 y.o. H. Jones will surely be elevated to the 2nd wing test spot during the tour; but the squad needs a 3rd winger more than it needs Tuttle.

I won't mind so much if he is included and the squad is out of balance though, as he has huge potential, but I would probably prefer to leave Robinson at home and take Tuttle and a winger.

But there are more important matters in the forwards and I think there should be changes in the original 23. let alone add-ons for the 28. Their shortcomings are in the props and the locks.

1. Pleash has done enough in general play but at only 92 kgs there could be a scrummaging problem against the Kiwis. I would like to see T. Robertson (Oz A) 106kgs added to the team. He is a strong scrummager at LHP and is the fastest forward in his school team and embarrasses some of the backs. He also played well enough for NSW IIs at THP to play the position for Oz A.

I didn't think a lot of the other 3 props (i.e. apart from Pleash) in the Oz 23 but at least they have a bit of size. I wouldn't mind any of them being replaced but I think that Robertson should be the sure add-on.

The 2nd additional forward should be a lock. Staniforth missed the national championships because of injury but if he is fit I would take him. I suggest also at least one of the other locks in the Oz 23: Phillip (93kgs) and Cornelson (90 kgs) be replaced because although they have big engines you have to consider how these stringbeans will cope with the Kiwis. Schwager also missed the tournament but has played 3 games on his comeback. He is not as tall as the other guys but he can play 6 or 8 also, is about 107 kgs and is as hard as nails.

The third additional foward? 6 and 8 are covered by Fakaosilea and Schwager, if he is picked; so what you need is a fellow who can cover Gunn at 7 and it would be nice if he could be the 3rd string hooker as well.

You're right - the 3rd additional forward should be Manu. Why this fellow missed out on selection in either Oz team last month beggars belief. He is primarily a hooker but he made a good fist a playing 7 in the Final for Qld I. This versatility is ideal for a touring team,

But who knows who is injured, or will be by August 14th?

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
They'll probably take another two backs and 3 forwards.

1. Pleash has done enough in general play but at only 92 kgs there could be a scrummaging problem against the Kiwis. I would like to see T. Robertson (Oz A) 106kgs added to the team. He is a strong scrummager at LHP and is the fastest forward in his school team and embarrasses some of the backs. He also played well enough for NSW IIs at THP to play the position for Oz A.

I didn't think a lot of the other 3 props (apart from Pleash) in the Oz 23 but at least they have a bit of size. I wouldn't mind any of them being replaced but I think that Robertson should be the sure add-on.

&

But who knows who is injured, or will be by August 14th?

Lee, who else could replace Nadruku, Orr and Kavapalu? I believe they're 3 players who represented themselves skill wise, supremely, during the Tongan game. My bets on Robinson to fill next position, with little or no changes to Australian forward pack who dominated the Tongan pack, even when reserves came on.

P.s Haven't heard of any injuries.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
All the forwards looked good at St. Marys. The props played OK against Tonga, especially Orr, but I judged them more on their tougher games in the Oz Championships when scrums weren't being run backwards. Some of them were like pot plants also.

But I didn't like the way Nadruku (I think) tried to sidestep somebody. The one thing that left an impression on me from that game, after you take out the nice tries, mostly by the backs, was that, apart from Rorke, there weren't power running forwards who ran over people. You need that most years against NZ Schools.

And show me a young forward who doesn't run over people and I will be fairly certain that he is one likely to be run over himself. We couldn't judge that at St. Marys because they weren't tested.

No I don't have any alternatives and just mentioned that I wouldn't have minded their being replaced. I didn't think a lot of Sikimeti this year either, but I must admit I am not a great selector.

You mean Robertson? You'd think he would tour: he ticks the power running and power tackling boxes - can scrummage too.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
LG,
Didn't M.Schwagger come off injured last saturday at B/Hill ?? He was certainly making an impact up till then - although the TSC loosies seemd to be chasing anything that moved to mow them down. But it looked like he had a shin/ankle injury, as he was being assisted from the field. I understand that he has had a poor run with injuries - which you wouldn't wish on anyone - but, if true, would you gamble with this against the Kiwi's ??
Cheers
Th Hound

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IS,

It could be as simple that LG is one of their facebook mates.

The kids tell all (and some!) on there. Sometimes best for the old'uns not to facestalk. Too much information.

Unfortunately many of the young do not realise that their facebook mutterings can, and will, come back to haunt them when thay are old and wise like us.

Lucky it wasn't around in our youth. ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
LG,
Didn't M.Schwagger come off injured last saturday at B/Hill ?? He was certainly making an impact up till then - although the TSC loosies seemd to be chasing anything that moved to mow them down. But it looked like he had a shin/ankle injury, as he was being assisted from the field. I understand that he has had a poor run with injuries - which you wouldn't wish on anyone - but, if true, would you gamble with this against the Kiwi's ??
Cheers
Th Hound

Point taken Hound.

Edit - he was indeed injured seriously and is probably going to miss the rest of the season.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Orr has been out injured for a couple of weeks - broken hand, apparently. I don't know the prognosis.

Bill McLean (32)
Orr has been out injured for a couple of weeks - broken hand, apparently. I don't know the prognosis.

That would be absolutely deflating for someone to miss an Australian schoolboy tour because of injury!

My philosophy is that once you have made an Australian rep side (or are likely to be chosen in an Australian rep side) then all else ceases until that coveted jersey hangs on your wall (i.e. no school and club games).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's a damn shame for the young bloke, but most boys would be willing to risk injury, and therefore run the risk of missing a tour, so they can play with their mates for their school.

You can't wrap the lads in cotton wool - the same in life as it is in rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's a damn shame for the young bloke, but most boys would be willing to risk injury, and therefore run the risk of missing a tour, so they can play with their mates for their school.

ask Rod Kafer....a broken hand would heal by the time of the tour would it not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill McLean (32)

Entirely agree with your view that you cannot wrap them up in cotton wool, however these teams are once in a life time opportunities for most lads.

I personally have seen the devastation (twice) that has affected a boy that was selected in an Australian schoolboys team; sustained an injury prior to actually representing Australia in any games; missed the tour and/or the chance to represent Australia. Both were league incidents but the same analogy would apply.

In one of those cases the boy was and U/17 and was able to back up the next year, and such was his talent he was selected again. The other was an U/18 and his opportunity was gone!

Ironically Lee your words were the same used by the first Lad's father when his son was re-selected a year later, where he stated to a group us words to the effect; "I'm wrapping my boy up in cotton wool this time. I'm not going to revisit another tragedy like last year again."

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Ironically Lee your words were the same used by the first Lad's father when his son was re-selected a year later, where he stated to a group us words to the effect; "I'm wrapping my boy up in cotton wool this time. I'm not going to revisit another tragedy like last year again."

Yep - its oh so easy to be dispassionate about someone else's kid, just a little bit harder when it is one of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.