• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Perhaps before Lussick went to his present school he played RL as does his oldder brother. Taylor has probably decided that union will not have a place for him and he is taking the best option he has available. The other two may see that RL has a clear pathway than does RU. Keep your options open.

Though I agree with Rugby Winners comments.

With the greatest of respect I did 'except' Taylor in my post!

Secondly, (and as many members of this forum will attest) I am well aware of Lussick's history (especially as it concerns his junior rep career with Manly's HMC and SGB teams) however the lad has an 'Australia A' jersey to collect in the near future so why would he risk injury playing in the ASSRL when he has the likes of Jackson Hastings and Soni Luke abead of him in the selection stakes?

On a final note I believe 'Rugby Winner' was agreeing with my original comment of 'madness'.

Bill McLean (32)
Re: Charlie Taylor

Saw one game of his at the ASRU Champs and like LG, I too agree that the lad was worthy of an 'Aus A' spot at the very least.

Now he is at the ASSRL Champs but Unfortunately he is playing in one of the weaker teams at the ASSRL which will detract from selection in the Australian RL Schools team.

Unlike Milne and Moeroa (who are also in Taylor's NSWCIS team), young Charles did not make the the NSWRL U/18's, and given that the ASSRL Championship is virtually littered with 18 year olds currently playing in the NYC I don't think selectors will have him at the top of their tree!

Alas stranger things have happened, but irrespective of what happens Charlie Taylor still has a much coveted 'NSW I' jersey in his cupboard for life. There are a lot of lads out there who would gladly give their left testy for such a prize!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A lot of boys from Qld and NSW play both games - or have.

If they want to play professionally, like both games equally and perform in them with equal proficiency, they would realise that they have a better chance to play pro league because there are three times as many pro teams in that code and many more than that, semi-pro.

And why not get a few K that they can't get in union? They can always come back to union if they don't make it in league in U/20s, or or even if they do make it.

It's harder the other way around.

Money isn't everything.
They play union in other countries states.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Having a look at the ASSRL site noted Charlie Taylor was the most valuable player for CIS. Dare say he made the Australia League School boys team, that has not been published yet.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't know Mr Cronan but was looking up some old ASRU Newsletters this morning and found out that he has been involved for yonks as manager of Oz Schools and no doubt as a selector in that time.

That makes him qualified in my eyes — and I hope that nobody calls into question the selection credentials of Pat Langtry.

Don't go there.
Brian/Lee
I'm aware of Cronan as Oz Schools Manager and his roles at IGS/NC. All the other things about good man etc were never questioned. My question was - what has he coached? It wasn't meant to be smart or inflammatory merely a seeking of a fact. I don't recall him ever having a team of note. From what I know of Langtry, he had a number of successful Eddies sides in Canberra a while back and a long time in the Aust Schools system so he isn't in the frame here. I don't know if he he did any ACT sides but would have to assume he did to get the Australian roles he got. Did he win any National Championships? ACT were strong in the mid- late 90's - were they his teams??

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Having a look at the ASSRL site noted Charlie Taylor was the most valuable player for CIS. Dare say he made the Australia League School boys team, that has not been published yet.
Unfortunately Charlie missed selection in the OZ team. Was very unlucky

Bill McLean (32)

It was always going to be a hard ask for young Charlie given those he was competing against (i.e. established league rep players).

Admittedly I said the same for Lussick but he made it and therefore he is the only one (of the four) who will go on to become a dual schoolboy international in 2013 (dates permitting of course)!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Unlucky?
No.He should focus on the positives.
He is still in the run on side for Oz A.
There are plenty who would be over the moon with that result.

Bill McLean (32)
I'm in NZ next week so I will avidly try to dig up some info (during my free time) on the likely team the Oz boys could be facing. Regardless, it will inevitably be a strong team, and hell bent on avenging the losses from 2011-12.

Personally I believe that this is perhaps the one of the best teams I have seen the Oz Schools assemble in the last few years, however I was of the same view with regard to the Ardie Savea led NZ Schools team of 2011!

Predictions are what you make until reality interferes :)

Bill McLean (32)
Unlucky?
No.He should focus on the positives.
He is still in the run on side for Oz A.
There are plenty who would be over the moon with that result.

ILTW,

It is my understanding that Taylor did not make any of Oz teams, unless he has received a late call up into Oz A's.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Doh!
Ignore me, my medication has kicked in.(long lunch!)
I had always assumed he would get in,had a momentary lapse.
I heard he was impressive this week,from a few sources.
A few dual code reps as well I heard?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I see Milne & Tepai missed as well.
Makes me think they'll be looking for a spot in union when they finish the <insert name of Chinese car maker> cup ( thanks @hughjarse) in a couple of years. They will need to learn how to position a man for a pass as their first not their last instinct. Not something taught in mungoball.
They would be much better served by sticking with union even if it doesn't pay.
Is Lussick the first to be picked for schools in both codes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One can hardly blame the <insert name of Overseas designed, Chinese manufactured car brand> Twins for their propensity to take the ball into contact, ignoring their outside players until the spectacular 1% offload in the tackle is on.

Our national and Soup teams have been doing this for years (not the look for the offload stuff). So much for role models.

I am struggling to think of the last Centre that the Wobs had who was a genuine draw and pass player who did not crab across field and steal the space of their outside men.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
To be fair to the Newington centres, Milne and Moeroa, they were brought up in the league game where one on one contests have more currency than in union.

They don't have the two extra two backrowers in league and the gaps between defenders are wider; it is harder to plug a hole when breached, so you get a premium if you make a break.

Moreover, although you want to keep the ball moving in league and not die with the ball (and use up a valuable "play the ball") there is less danger of losing possession because there is no contest for the ball, unless it is a one-on-one strip. The consequences of failing to beat your man, and/or isolating yourself in league are less harsh.

So, when these two fellows play union for their school they bring the league style into their play and because their opponents don't have their cumulative history of training in both codes, nor their level of physical development, to deal with them, they are GPS stars.

And in the Oz Champs, just concluded, they found themselves playing in one of the best NSW Schools backlines of the last decade, whose players backed them up like drovers' dogs. No wonder the SBW passes were in vogue (and not from just these two, by the way.)

I'd like to get Taane Milne back in rugby union when he is available to come back. I think we could make a good centre out of him. He actually did some good union stuff during the week .

I'm not saying he is SBW but he could turn his playing style around as SBW did in his second season in France. Milne's return to union (though not from France) could surprise a few people I reckon.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
To be fair to the Newington centres, Milne and Moeroa, they were brought up in the league game where one on one contests have more currency than in union.

They don't have the two extra two backrowers in league and the gaps between defenders are wider; it is harder to plug a hole when breached, so you get a premium if you make a break.

Moreover, although you want to keep the ball moving in league and not die with the ball (and use up a valuable "play the ball") there is less danger of losing possession because there is no contest for the ball, unless it is a one-on-one strip. The consequences of failing to beat your man, and/or isolating yourself in league are less harsh.

So, when these two fellows play union for their school they bring the league style into their play and because their opponents don't have their cumulative history of training in both codes, nor their level of physical development, to deal with them, they are GPS stars.

And in the Oz Champs, just concluded, they found themselves playing in one of the best NSW Schools backlines of the last decade, whose players backed them up like drovers' dogs. No wonder the SBW passes were in vogue (and not from just these two, by the way.)

I'd like to get Taane Milne back in rugby union when he is available to come back. I think we could make a good centre out of him. He actually did some good union stuff during the week .

I'm not saying he is SBW but he could turn his playing style around as SBW did in his second season in France. Milne's return to union (though not from France) could surprise a few people I reckon.
Interesting Lee, Having watched the videos a few times I rate 12 Moeroa higher than13 Milne who only passed the ball a few times in the whole carnival. Both are superb athletes but wouldn't be surprised if Milne played on the wing for schoolboys

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This gem from the NZ Herald article on Sir Richie GOAT.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10897466

"Mustchin says his father, Bryan, the club's former development officer, enticed McCaw to the Christchurch club as a colts player. McCaw, from Hakataramea Valley in the South Canterbury-North Otago border region, was headed to Lincoln University on a rugby scholarship. Bryan Mustchin attended the 1998 national schoolboy final at Lancaster Park to scout Rotorua Boys High captain Craig Newby, who was rumoured to be Christchurch-bound.
Instead, he spied McCaw for their opponents Otago Boys High, and while the national school selectors overlooked the future legend, Bryan Mustchin had spotted his man, and contact was made. "
So we now have confirmation that both Nobody* and the GOAT* were not wanted by National Schoolboy Selectors. No shame in being overlooked by the National Schoolboy selectors and not making Aust Schoolboys or Aust A. It could even be said this is a badge of honour.

*Nobody's Perfect - John Eales
GOAT Greatest Of All Times - Richie McCaw.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting Lee, Having watched the videos a few times I rate 12 Moeroa higher than13 Milne who only passed the ball a few times in the whole carnival. Both are superb athletes but wouldn't be surprised if Milne played on the wing for schoolboys

I think they will keep the two league guys together though we all know that Milne has played wing for Newington and NSW Schools.

Disagree on the rating: of the two I would like to keep Milne in the union code, but that is neither here nor there. I would have agreed last year as Milne had some awful games in the matches i saw, but this year he has been better.

If Milne doesn't play 13 then the youngster Henry Hutchison will have to. That's a big call.

Let's see down the track who they pick.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

LG,

Both boys were actually brought up in Union (in addition to league - like a lot of other dual coders).

Milne for Coogee in the SJRU's MSZ competition, and Moeroa for Rooty Hill in the MWZ (as those comps were organised and known back the ).

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Disagree on the rating: of the two I would like to keep Milne in the union code, but that is neither here nor there.
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

I would have to agree with LG on this point! Moeroa has been developed as a forward by Parramatta which IMO has corrupted his game as a 'back' in Union.

Milne on the other hand has always been in the backs. The irony however is the fact that when Moeroa first made the Parra HMC team (a year young as an U/15) he was played at full back! Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.