• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
As some of my good friends in here know I am somewhat partial when it comes to the land of the 'Emerald Isle' and I was quietly hoping the Irish lads would do well, however being a dual citizen means that I also want to see our boys go well too!

As a consequence I hope the ARU are paying some attention to how well the game is being developed in the home nations, which is presently being experienced by our lads (and take heart, they will be better and stronger for the experience). Nevertheless as LG has also stated in many occasions, our lads are up against semi-professional academy players (in addition to boys, perhaps 'men' in some cases, that probably have 12 months or so on them in physical development).

I hope the next time we meet such teams in the near future it is on a more level playing field (pardon the pun) where the team facing the English U/18's (or Irish U/18's etc.) is an Australian U/18 team (schoolboy or otherwise) which is inclusive of lads that have the same/similar opportunities that those in the northern hemisphere are now receiving.

Its no coincidence that England won the Junior World Cup (or that Wales faced them in the final) this year, or that Ireland handed our lads their backsides at the same event!

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
What a great idea an U18 team not schoolboys dominated by GPS boys. Let's cast the net wider. One of the great things about the junior gold cup is that the trials showcased boys especially from western sydney who would otherwise slip through the cracks or lost to league. It will be good to see how the jgc develops and hopefully becomes a more inclusive and fruitful pathway

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match Report from ARU Web Site:
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/ArticleID/10672.aspx

Leinster Under 18s steal victory from Australian Schoolboys

The famous Donnybrook Stadium in Dublin was the venue for the clash with Leinster Under18s. Conditions were dry and cool and the pitch in first class order. A large parochial crowd of Dublin locals had turned up to the match with expectations high for a good performance against the Macquarie Bank Australian Schools team.

The match started with great intensity from both teams and with the pressure mistakes were evident from both teams. Leinster enjoyed early field position and were rewarded with the first penalty in kicking range. Fly half, Sean Kerins kicked accurately to hand Leinster a lead by three much to the delight of the crowd.

Australia responded quickly settling into patterns of play that had Leinster under pressure. A terrific carry by hard working flanker Douglas MacMillan enabled quick front-foot ball to be released down the short side to Mitchell Third.

Third then threw a long pass to flying winger, Adrian Henley who outflanked his opposite number before passing back inside to Third who scored just left of the uprights. Third converted his own try and Australia lead 7 – 3.

The Australian Boys were making good ground once again from the restart through controlled phases of possession and the Leinster defense was once again under pressure.

Hard running Australian lock, Ned Hanigan, ran a beautiful unders line to slice through the Leinster forwards and race 40 metres downfield untouched to score out wide. Mitchell Third added the extras and Australia deservedly lead 14 -3 as half time was signaled.

Australia made some changes at the break as barnstorming open side flanker, Douglas MacMillan had succumbed to an ankle injury and was replaced. Tepai Moeroa and Ned Hanigan were rested for the second half and also replaced.

From the kick off, Leinster enjoyed a long period of possession on the back of uncharacteristic Australian errors. The Australian players were also on the back foot as infringements at the breakdown on several occasions cost the team penalties and the chance for Leinster to get back into the match.

Sean Kerins kicked a penalty goal to narrow the gap by 8 points. Not long after he scored a try himself after beating a rushed attempted tackle near the line failed and he touched down near the uprights. Once again he raised the flags and the pro Leinster crowd was very evident in the support of their team as the two teams were now separated by only 1 point.

From the kick off, the Australians continued to upset the referee and once again, Leinster gained good field position and Australian hooker Timote Tai was yellow carded for repeated infringements.

Leinster were now rolling with great confidence. They controlled the ball very well in the forwards and were rewarded with a try to lock, James Ryan. Sean Kerins kicked the conversion and Leinster had regained the lead 20 -14.

The Australian Boys lifted from the restart and finally achieved field good field position in the second half. With Australia close to scoring a try, Leinster infringed at the breakdown and a penalty was awarded to the visiting side.

Captain James Tuttle ordered the kick to be taken and replacement fly half, Andrew Deegan kicked the goal to reduce Leinster’s lead by 3 points.

With Timote Tai returning to the field for Australia, Leinster applied great pressure on the Australian defense and looked certain to score on a couple of occasions but they were thwarted by good scrambling Australian defense.

Australia returned fire but it was Leinster who had the final say in the outcome of the match with a well- deserved try to their hard working number 8, Nick Timoney.

Kerins added the extras and Leinster had remarkably scored 24 second half points to steal the match form Australia.

Final score:
Leinster Under 18s, 27 (Tries: Sean Kerins, James Ryan, Nick Timoney, Penalty Goals: Sean Kerins (2), Conversions: Sean Kerins (3)) defeated

Macquarie Bank Australian Schools, 17 (Tries: Mitchell Third, Ned Hanigan, Penalty Goals: Andrew Deegan, Conversions: Mitchell Third (2))

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match Schedule
22 Nov v Wales A - Neath RFC - Australia 15 Wales A 18
27 Nov v Wales - Neath RFC - Australia 12 Wales 26
1 Dec v Ospreys - Bridgend - Australia 31 - Ospreys 7
4 Dec v England - Harrow School, Australia 3 - England 23
8 Dec v Scotland - Edinburgh, Australia 29 - Scotland 5
11 Dec v Leinster Schools - Donnybrook, Australia 17 - Leinster 27
14 Dec v Ireland - Belfast, 14:30
17 Dec v Munster Schools - Limerick, 17:00

P 6, W 2, L 4, PF 107 (13T, 9C, 8 Pen), PA 106 (13T, 10C, 7 Pen)

Point Scorers
Milne 1 T (5 pts)
McCalman 1 T (5 pts)
Deegan 3 Con, 6 Pen (24 pts)
Fakaosilea 1 T (5 pts)
Third 2 T, 6 Con, 2 Pen (28 pts)
Anderson 1 T (5 pts)
Guttenbeil 1 T (5 pts)
Hutchison 1 T (5 pts)
Moeroa 3 T (15 pts)
Kellaway 1 T (5 pts)
Hanigan 1 T (5 pts)

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
MACQUARIE BANK AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY TEAM to play IRELAND UNDER 18s
at Ravenhill, Belfast, SATURDAY 14th DECEMBER 2013

1 Matthew Sandell St. Joseph’s College, NSW
2 Connal McInerney Erindale College, ACT
3 Vunipola Fifita Newington College, NSW
4 Joshua Anderson Oakhill College, NSW
5 Ned Hanigan St. Joseph’s College, NSW
6 Lolo Faka’osilea St. Patrick’s College, QLD
7 Jack McCalman © The King’s School, NSW
8 Maclean Jones St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
9 James Tuttle St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
10 Andrew Deegan St. Joseph’s College, NSW
11 Taane Milne Newington College
12 Tepai Moeroa Newington College, NSW
13 Henry Hutchison St. Ignatius’ College, NSW
14 Harry Jones Barker College, NSW
15 Andrew Kellaway The Scot’s College, NSW
16 Fereti Sa’aga Thornbury HS, VIC
17 Alex Mafi St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
18 Matt Gibbon St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
19 Lachlan Cannell Newington College, NSW
20 Rohboni Warren Vosayaco Endeavour Sports HS, NSW
21 Mitchell Short The Scot’s College, NSW
22 Keith Morgan St. Edmund’s College, ACT
23 Adrian Henley Trinity Anglican School, Cairns, QLD

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
IRELAND UNDER-19 Squad (v Australia Schools, Ravenhill, Saturday, December 14 (kick-off 2.30pm):

Josh Bingham (Methodist College/Ulster)
Frank Bradshaw Ryan (Shannon RFC/Munster)
Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
Jack Cullen (Bruff RFC/Munster)
Billy Dardis (UCD/Leinster)
Lorcan Dow (Queen's University/Ulster)
Ciaran Gaffney (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
James Gallagher (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
Oisin Heffernan (Cistercian College Roscrea/Leinster)
Michael Lagan (Methodist College/Ulster)
Jeremy Loughman (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Conor McKee (Methodist College/Ulster)
Sean McNulty (UCD/Munster)
Rory Moloney (Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
Josh Murphy (UCD/Leinster)
David O'Connor (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Piers O'Conor (Worthing RFC/Exile)
Mike O'Donnell (Crescent College/Munster)
Jack Owens (Campbell College/Ulster)
Gary Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)
Alex Thompson (Methodist College/Ulster)
Stephen Weir (Methodist College/Ulster)
Conor Young (Instonians RFC/Ulster)
Ross Todd (Sullivan Upper School/Ulster)
Conor Kyne (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I expect the likes of Kellaway, Moeroa and Sandell to end up high up on the list of capped schoolboys. While I don't think they will get to 11 caps, potentially with 4 last year and 6 this year they could be on 10 if they played all. I know Sandell missed the home tests, did the other 2 play all last year? Also Hutchinson is now well placed to have a real crack at 11 caps given his 5 this year.

Cormac

Frank Row (1)
Ireland Under 19?

Crikey.

They're U-19 for 2014, so technically U-18 right now.

Unlike the Leinster team on Wednesday this Ireland side has a couple of players currently in professional academies. In the Irish set-up players can't join one of the provincial academies until they've left school.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
`Hello Cormac - good to have you on board in our forum. (Cormac is well-known on rugby boards especially his Heineken Cup stuff - if it's the same Cormac.)

Don't be a a stranger.

That was a good win then from the Leinster schoolboy lads because our non-test team had beaten the Ospreys Under 18 Academy team and I expected them to beat a regional schoolboy team.

OK - understand now: it is Under 19 for the 2013-14 season—whereas England called their team Under 18 but will play in elite junior comps in the new year as U/19s.

So the Ireland team have only a couple of players connected with a pro club; unlike England all of whose players (going by the detailed info on the 2011 visiting England U18 team to Oz, at least) would have been with an Academy full-time since they left school, about May, and had been with them part-time whilst still at school.

Typically what would the other 20 odd Ireland players have been doing since they left school about 6 months ago?

The reason I ask is because I was impressed by how the Ireland U/20 team played against the young Aussies in France in the 2013 IRB JWC.

Their players didn't look any better than ours as individuals but, geez, they played as a team a lot better than our Browns' cows and it suggested that they had been well-coached at a junior elite level for years.

Cormac

Frank Row (1)
Hi Lee

To be eligible for the "Ireland U-19" the players need to be born on or after 01.01.1995. We moved over to the calendar year for eligibility a few years back. Creates a bit of an anomaly as all the interprovincial championships take place at the start of the season in September/October but are named for the next calendar year, i.e. all the players who featured in the interprovincial U-20 champs in September are eligible for next June's JWC in New Zealand.

Can only really speak for Leinster but the system is as follows. Only the very best prospects go straight into the Leinster Academy and they will train with the senior squad. Leinster took seven in for 2013/14 and two were straight from school. The other prospects go into the sub-academy which is usually a chance to give players a glimpse of what a pro rugby career entails and allows them to build up the kind of fitness and bulk they'll need. The other five players added to the full Academy this season were in last season's sub-Academy.

For today's team, a third are still in school. Billy Dardis at full-back is in the Leinster Academy and captain Rory Maloney (flanker) is with Connacht. The others will be in provincial sub-academies and playing U-20 rugby with their clubs/universities. Don't think any are playing first-team rugby for their clubs although plenty of those selected for the JWC will be. Club rugby is semi-pro.

As for the Leinster side this is a pretty damn fine side, especially considering they lost half their players to the Ireland team. One notable player is Joe Schmidt's eldest son Tim. They blitzed the other provinces last season and most of that team progressed to U-20 level this season. They also picked up some big wins in France in pre-season and two of the bigger schools (Blackrock and St. Michael's) picked up individual wins against well known New Zealand and South African sides. Standard of coaching at schools level has increased quite dramatically in the last decade in Leinster, especially, and having former Wales grand-slam (2005) coach Mike Ruddock involved with the JWC has helped bring them on leaps and bounds.

Outside looking in

Frank Row (1)
We'll I'm very surprised at all who have commented on this forum. I thought it was rugby union the topic of conversation. All I'm reading about is players contracted to that other game. This is union. Unfortunately it's schoolboys an anybody can play. To me in the test games it looks like NSW V WALES ENGLAND. Come on the games they have won (as some people say) are not the A team then why are they winning. Maybe the coaches need to realise there is talent in Queensland an use it where it is necessary. Yes I am from Queensland an very proud of it. The stats I've got do not match up to the players they put on in the tests. Fair go

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On the spot reports from snout on the spot, @cdeeegan

It was a cold, wet, windy day in Belfast.
Oz schools win 14-8. Great victory in very tough conditions.
Try to Tuttle and 3 penalty kicks to Deegan in heavy winds and rain.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match Schedule
22 Nov v Wales A - Neath RFC - Australia 15 Wales A 18
27 Nov v Wales - Neath RFC - Australia 12 Wales 26
1 Dec v Ospreys - Bridgend - Australia 31 - Ospreys 7
4 Dec v England - Harrow School, Australia 3 - England 23
8 Dec v Scotland - Edinburgh, Australia 29 - Scotland 5
11 Dec v Leinster Schools - Donnybrook, Australia 17 - Leinster 27
14 Dec v Ireland - Belfast, Australia 14 - Ireland 8
17 Dec v Munster Schools - Limerick, 17:00

P 7, W 3, L 4, PF 121 (14T, 9C, 11 Pen), PA 114 (14T, 10C, 8 Pen)

Point Scorers
Milne 1 T (5 pts)
McCalman 1 T (5 pts)
Deegan 3 Con, 9 Pen (33 pts)
Fakaosilea 1 T (5 pts)
Third 2 T, 6 Con, 2 Pen (28 pts)
Anderson 1 T (5 pts)
Guttenbeil 1 T (5 pts)
Hutchison 1 T (5 pts)
Moeroa 3 T (15 pts)
Kellaway 1 T (5 pts)
Hanigan 1 T (5 pts)
Tuttle 1 T (5 pts)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I expect the likes of Kellaway, Moeroa and Sandell to end up high up on the list of capped schoolboys. While I don't think they will get to 11 caps, potentially with 4 last year and 6 this year they could be on 10 if they played all. I know Sandell missed the home tests, did the other 2 play all last year? Also Hutchinson is now well placed to have a real crack at 11 caps given his 5 this year.

There is a bit of debate about the Test Cap Count on page 1 of this thread.

Memory working here: (someone will correct me pretty quickly if wrong)
Kellaway missed the Wales Game due to injury. Sandell missed the 2014 inbound tests due to Injury.

Moeroa has not missed many in 2014/2013, neither has Fakaosilea who both should end up on a similar Test Cap count at the end of this year.

While technically U16, Hutchison is in Yr 12 in 2014 so unlike Roach and F-Sautia who played 3 seasons in Schoolboys, he will only do 2 years in Schoolboys (unless he does Pathways and repeats Yr 12).

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
eremeva2.jpg

Just saw this on instagram this morning, Fakaosilea thinks the record is his

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
While technically U16, Hutchison is in Yr 12 in 2014 so unlike Roach and F-Sautia who played 3 seasons in Schoolboys, he will only do 2 years in Schoolboys (unless he does Pathways and repeats Yr 12).

Roach and CFS played only two years of Oz Schools footie. CFS would have made the team in 2011, his last year of school (only two "test" matches were played that year) except for hamstring issues.

The lads who make the schools records typically make a European tour so they can have six in one year—two at home and four away. Had South Africa showed up this year, as planned, it would have been been seven.

If a lad is in the Schools team for three years, they can get those six (as in 2013) plus four in a Pacific tour year (as in 2012) plus a couple in the third year (as in 2011 or 2014).

There may come a time when the right scheduling produces 4 + 6 + 4 = 14, but to stay healthy for three years for every possible test is a big ask of the young body of a schoolboy star.

PS - My mail is that HH will not be doing pathways; so it is likely he will end up playing 5 + 2 = 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.