• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Winner

Bob McCowan (2)
I saw some of his games, rarely saw him though as he was always at the bottom of the ruck getting in and doing the hard work. Unlike his #7 counterparts who seemed to be in full view most often. Maybe he needs to stand out of the ruck a bit more to get noticed, but then that defeats the role of the #7

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I saw some of his games, rarely saw him though as he was always at the bottom of the ruck getting in and doing the hard work. Unlike his #7 counterparts who seemed to be in full view most often. Maybe he needs to stand out of the ruck a bit more to get noticed, but then that defeats the role of the #7
My point precisely - its an dangerous epidemic. I describe all these forwards standing at 10 and 12 as giving the backline constipation.
If they were meant to be backs the big guy would have given them handbags and hairdryers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting the relatively rational debate about the non-inclusion of one boy (who, based on what I saw of him in the lead-up NSW games, I had marked as a near certain selection) compared to that of another lad who apparently seems to warrant special consideration because there is a danger he will stay on the dark side.

One lad seems to be playing the highest level he can in Rugby (Under 20 Colts), while the other is playing the highest level he can in Fivekick (Under 20 <insert car manufacturer> Cup.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interesting the relatively rational debate about the non-inclusion of one boy (who, based on what I saw of him in the lead-up NSW games, I had marked as a near certain selection) compared to that of another lad who apparently seems to warrant special consideration because there is a danger he will stay on the dark side.

One lad seems to be playing the highest level he can in Rugby (Under 20 Colts), while the other is playing the highest level he can in Fivekick (Under 20 <insert car manufacturer> Cup.
one's a forward and the other's a back - explains everything:D

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
one's a forward and the other's a back - explains everything:D

The debate about the non selection of several players is interesting. I would think the NRL lad spoken about may get selection in Australian school boys for RL. He will be a loss and looking at the playing depth in Australian Rugby compared to the playing depth of RL the type of losses Rugby can afford.

Harry Stone

Frank Row (1)
Seen this kid play in Colts past year, he averages 3 turnovers per game (steals and penaltys). He conceded 5 turnovers in yesterday's game. The refereeing in schoolboy rugby obviously not favouring this particular skill set of his why a number of penaltys went against him.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Apparently he backed up yesterday and helped his first Grade Colts side win against Warringah, Rat Park. As bruised and battered as he was after a week of school boy rugby physically (and probably emotionally not making selection) great attitude to get back out there on the park.

My opinion of the kid just jumped up another coupla-notches, although not happy with the result, good on him.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I hope this helps in answering the question.

Section 19 of the Minors (Contract and Property) Act 1970 (NSW) states:

Where a minor participates in a civil act and his or her participation is for his or her benefit at the time of his or her participation, the civil act is presumptively binding on the minor.

Provided that the minor had the necessary degree of understanding about the contract and the contract was not unfair or exploitative.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Just wondering if you didn't see the games, is it possible that there were some better rugby players at the championships who are really committed to the game. I saw some talented wingers this week.
It was very hard for wingers across the competition. The mix of centres and lack of them passing the ball in space in front of the wingers was annoying to watch. NSW II had many opportunities in the final game v NSW I to move it to the player in space and failed to do it, one winger had a scrum half marking him 10 metres out for 10 minutes and they still would not pass him the ball? Gave away penalties instead???
Too many centres were off loading in contact or getting isolated then the backhand flick offload. The outside centre for NSWII for one planted his outside foot first all week, ran side ways across his support players, a good player but hard for wingers to express themselves off that platform. For the U17 NRL boy, life as a winger can be a bitch some days its golden we score the tries, others its a place you only catch a cold -

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Too many centres were off loading in contact or getting isolated then the backhand flick offload.

Spot on.
Its a habit many get from playing or watching league I suspect.
Their first instinct is to try and beat the man (or men) with footwork and when that doesn't work there's a hail mary pass with a note saying "do your best".
There was very little indication of team play. OK so they may not have been together for long but one pairing who were particularly bad in this regard play together at school.
IMHO - this is the major difference between loig and union and introducing the loig style is hampering us at all levels - sheesh even Deans seems to think the game is about one on one match-ups.
Rugby is still a team game.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
A big big thank you to Lee Grant and George Smith for your blog reviews and photos for each day's games. To yourselves and others who provided the forum updates and posts, your contributions and insights provide great "vision" for those who cannot attend and provide the stories behind the players that most of us would not know otherwise. Loved it!!!

Bill McLean (32)
Provided that the minor had the necessary degree of understanding about the contract and the contract was not unfair or exploitative.

What you say, 'goes without saying' ... ... ... pardon the pun LOL ... ... ... after all the section does clearly state, 'presumptively binding' (i.e. a rebuttable presumption)!

Lomu

Bob McCowan (2)
A big big thank you to Lee Grant and George Smith for your blog reviews and photos for each day's games. To yourselves and others who provided the forum updates and posts, your contributions and insights provide great "vision" for those who cannot attend and provide the stories behind the players that most of us would not know otherwise. Loved it!!!
You beat me to it DS! Such great and informative reviews, not to mention the photos. You do a great job, and we all appreciate it.

Bill McLean (32)
Spot on.
Its a habit many get from playing or watching league I suspect.
Their first instinct is to try and beat the man (or men) with footwork and when that doesn't work there's a hail mary pass with a note saying "do your best".
There was very little indication of team play. OK so they may not have been together for long but one pairing who were particularly bad in this regard play together at school.
IMHO - this is the major difference between loig and union and introducing the loig style is hampering us at all levels - sheesh even Deans seems to think the game is about one on one match-ups.
Rugby is still a team game.

A big 'Alleluia' and 'Amen' to Brother IS!

After viewing a U/20's <insert car company> cup game (thank you HJ for this line) over the weekend I was dismayed at the skill level in attack and the inability of all concerned being unable to string several passes together. Admittedly the same group couldn't collectively string a coherent sentence together if they tried, but they're words not passes!

Anyway, attending this game with me was my cousin from the UK who had brought out a Lion's touring group and wanted to catch an U/20's game. He is also involved in a Sussex County age group team. His take on the match was as follows; firstly the physicality was amazing (and it is); however, the Sussex U/16's had better ball skills!

I had to agree wholeheartedly as I too had viewed U/16 SJRU rep games in recent times that would embarrass U/20's players! My cousin was only able to count 6 occasions when the ball was passed through more than two sets of hands for the entire game!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A big 'Alleluia' and 'Amen' to Brother IS!

After viewing a U/20's <insert car company> cup game (thank you HJ for this line) over the weekend I was dismayed at the skill level in attack and the inability of all concerned being unable to string several passes together. Admittedly the same group couldn't collectively string a coherent sentence together if they tried, but they're words not passes!

Anyway, attending this game with me was my cousin from the UK who had brought out a Lion's touring group and wanted to catch an U/20's game. He is also involved in a Sussex County age group team. His take on the match was as follows; firstly the physicality was amazing (and it is); however, the Sussex U/16's had better ball skills!

I had to agree wholeheartedly as I too had viewed U/16 SJRU rep games in recent times that would embarrass U/20's players! My cousin was only able to count 6 occasions when the ball was passed through more than two sets of hands for the entire game!

For all the hype surrounding the U/20's <insert car company> cup is it really better than Colts rugby - for producing rugby players I mean!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
What you say, 'goes without saying' . . . pardon the pun LOL . . . after all the section does clearly state, 'presumptively binding' (i.e. a rebuttable presumption)!
Presumptive is one of those beautiful legal axioms - amazingly it has great application in the area of selections as in presumptively entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.