• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is bad news for young Walker. I would have had him with a real chance of Schoolboy Selection. That being said, many of my absolute certainties from previous years have also failed to gain the tick of approval from the ASRU selectors as well.

His form before the injury in the Vic game would have done him no favours, and reputation is only good when there is a "champion" in the selection group. Unfortunately this year the majority of the Selectors are QLD based, and as such they will have to rely on what they see in front of them this week.

I'd see the NSW I management calling up Jack Hayson from Riverview as a replacement for Walker. All will be revealed at 10:30 when NSW I take on CS.

@Sideline Eye, your boy is playing the house down. Hopefully Team Rehab Selectors only make one call to NSW I this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is great ..was hoping to read about the games in Div II.
Will just have to wait and see if any reports come through.

Sorry Mexican - it's a case of not enough writers to cover everything. We are even light on having writers to cover all the Div I games but we fake it pretty well.

We are all Sydney rugby tragics so it's a big ask to have folks turn up to Div II matches involving boys from out of town.

We asked in the forum for writers to contribute but nobody from out of town coming to Sydney following their team in the Champs, put their hands up.

Nor did any Sydney folk for Div II matches.

It's a pity because the Lloydies are always a great team to watch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are there any Gaggerlanders with snouts in the Combined States camp?

It appeared that #11 may have been Lucas Price from Knox Grammar, instead of the advertised Hugo Doessel from Churchie, and #8 may have been "The Attack of the Vowels" Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui rather than Koim Wingti.

Can anyone confirm?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I will be at the Riverview today, and unless someone beats me to it, I will post the scores of yesterdays Div II fixtures.

The organisers put all the results on a whiteboard in the canteen.

Someone else will need to this for the Thursday Div II games.

Will Scully

Frank Row (1)
Round Robin: LMRDT 51 (N Barker 2 B Luta 2 B Turnbull 2 N Tamwoy M Doolan D Grant tries B Lee 2 M Doolan con) bt VIC II (2) 24 (J Leiataua T Uluilelata A Smylie tries A Smylie 3 con pen goal),

SA 31 (K Joppich 3 Z Burgess T Butler tries J Astle 2 M Masefield cons) bt NT 17 (R Calkin M Motonicocoka tries R Calkin 2 cons J Lim pen goal)

All results so far -
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sorry Mexican - it's a case of not enough writers to cover everything. We are even light on having writers to cover all the Div I games but we fake it pretty well.

We are all Sydney rugby tragics so it's a big ask to have folks turn up to Div II matches involving boys from out of town.

We asked in the forum for writers to contribute but nobody from out of town coming to Sydney following their team in the Champs, put their hands up.

Nor did any Sydney folk for Div II matches.

It's a pity because the Lloydies are always a great team to watch.

Can confirm that Wingti was ruled out

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Round Robin: LMRDT 51 (N Barker 2 B Luta 2 B Turnbull 2 N Tamwoy M Doolan D Grant tries B Lee 2 M Doolan con) bt VIC II (2) 24 (J Leiataua T Uluilelata A Smylie tries A Smylie 3 con pen goal),

SA 31 (K Joppich 3 Z Burgess T Butler tries J Astle 2 M Masefield cons) bt NT 17 (R Calkin M Motonicocoka tries R Calkin 2 cons J Lim pen goal)

All results so far -
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/

D Grant being Dylan Grant from Joeys ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Qld II 19 : 3t (14. Afamasaga. 23. Coventry, 15. Robertson) 2 con (22. McNulty)
Vic I 17 : 3t (19. O'Meagher, 13. Tulmalealiifano,12. Tuipulotu) 1 con (10. Gray)
Ht: 19-0 to Qld II

NSW II 33: 5t (14. Wright, 7. Moore, 3. Sedgman, 10. Renton (2)), 4 con (10. Renton)
WA 7: (10. Jooste, 1t 1 con)
Ht: WA 7 NSW II 5

Qld I 32 : 5t (11. Fittock, 14. Edwards, 7. Moroney, 15. Setu (2)), 2 Con (22. Dorrough, 10. Horan), 1 PG (22. Dorrough)
ACT 15: 2t (15. Fulivai, 14. Ross,) 1 Con (10. Jackson-Hope), 1 PG (22. Tyson)
Ht: Qld I 20-3

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are there any Gaggerlanders with snouts in the Combined States camp?

It appeared that #11 may have been Lucas Price from Knox Grammar, instead of the advertised Hugo Doessel from Churchie, and #8 may have been "The Attack of the Vowels" Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui rather than Koim Wingti.

Can anyone confirm?
HJ
Yes you are correct re 8 and 11 and reserve half gone
Home injured also (Oxley) and CHS half in as replacement
Harry not sure of last name
Also noticed NSW 2 lost 5/8 named Day due to concussion

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
After a playing well for ACT today, hooker Timote SiutaTai (Suita) was taken off the field on a stretcher. I heard he was later taken away in an ambulance. Not sure about the nature of the injury or if there are any confirmed broken bones, etc, but if he's out of the tournament it is a great shame for him. A really good kid and great footy player.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

Plus Sam Renton played flyhalf today for NSW II in place of Day and had a blinder.

For most of the second half, NSW II had 4 fullbacks in their backline (either their "preferred" position or alternate).
#14 T. Wright, #10 Renton, #22 McDonnell, #23. J.Wright.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's Harry Rowe - but that was for the Combined States team. He was in jersey # 24 today.

Also in CS Jack Nettleton replaced 17 Samuel Keane.

Jack Hayson replaced John Walker in NSW I

Plus Sam Renton played flyhalf today for NSW II in place of Day and had a blinder.

Nettleton was always in combined states according to team announcements right here on G. & G
and asru website. me thinks mid print in program

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Photos from NSW2 v WA
NSW2-WA-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-1.JPG
NSW2-WA-2-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-3-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-4-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-5-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-6-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-7-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-8-small.JPG
NSW2-WA-9-small.JPG

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Day Three Random thoughts:
Second Div I game day is often a day for coaches to give the bench a run on start. This can disrupt team cohesion and combinations. Today was no exception and this can explain why so many games were games of two halves.

Disappointing to see Long time Riverview Rugby Tragic, Matty Shields dressed in QLD attire during the Q1 game but relieved he changed to true blue for the NSW games.:)

No wind today but many lineouts were rusty with lots of throws missing the target, or the target not executing to the calls.

Great photos from @Delphy

NSW I. Initially unbalanced and struggled to contain aggressive CS team. #20 (Summerhayes) looked good at lineout time and as No8. Initial backline lacked cohesion. Goal kicking still a worry when #9 (Goddard) on the bench. #19 (Vatuvei) should be a starting second row. #8 (Crichton) looked good as BSF. 8 (Crichton), 20 (Summerhayes), 7 (Anderson) the best back row combo. Will beat Q2 but need to be on top of their game to beat Q1.

CS. Better jumpers today with the numbers staying put. Gave N1 the scare they needed but ran out of steam when the N1 bench was emptied. #12 (Yeomans) classy and would not be out of place in the state team. #8 (Lealaiauloto-Tui) will be impressive with some more technical rugby skills on board and better fitness– the loig is strong in him. #2 (Wilkinson) run straight, not across. Would like to see more of #20 (Feauai-Sautia.)

Q1. Owned the lineout. #5 (Hewat), #8 (Fox) linebenders. #12 (Pritchard) scary attack. Cruising with some signs of overconfidence. Could be more accurate in breakdowns. #15 (Setu) and #11 (Fittock) create their own gaps. Should beat N2 to make final with their #1 team.

ACT. Didn’t give up but struggled to cope with the increased pace and pressure of the game. Lost structure and were unable to sustain possession for extended periods to build pressure. #10 (Jackson-Hope), #15 (Fulivai) standout. Injury to #2 (Tai) sounded painful from 50 metres away. Hope not too serious. Lineout was awful.

NSW 2. Backline worked better when #10 (Renton - late callup) was flyhalf. #7 (Moore), #8 (Lough), #20 (Woodhill) got through a mountain of work (dirtiest jumpers in the team by a mile) and carried the team. #14 (Wright) to run straight and forget the fancy stuff, blistering pace is blistering pace, dancing slows pace down. Wonderful 2nd half but can’t afford to play only one half against Q1. Fitness looked good but not sure there is room to step up and maintain the intensity for 60 minutes. Only a very slim chance of beating Q1.

WA. Ran out of puff. #10 (Jooste) is talented and will be major threat next year. Too much lateral running made it easy for the defence to maintain their line. Relied on individual brilliance rather than team work. #15 (Cudd) fearless. Need to speed up breakdown work and arrival of troops to reduce turnovers and penalties. Improve discipline and concentration.
Ball transition was a little too slow.

Q2. Good lineout work and set piece. Were they overconfident? Hope #14 (Afamasaga) is OK. Run out of puff. Big gap between Q1 and Q2 when #6 (Scott-Young), #7 (Van Den Berg), #1 (Asiata) , #3 (McColl) on bench. They can play better than today and will lift for N1 game, but will not win.

Vic. Big and physical. Need to learn to play from the outset not just 2nd half. Too many passes pushed. Impressive pace from #12 (Tuipolotu) and #13 (Tuimaleliifano). They will trouble CS if they can improve accuracy in breakdown, and get the lineout set piece working.

Day 4 Predictions
ACT to beat WA
Vic to beat CS
QLD I to beat NSW II
NSW I to beat Qld II

Status
Not open for further replies.