• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Assuming that many of the boys who were the incumbent returning from last year would be bitterly disappointed with Aust Schools rugby tour of Europe 2017 been cancelled due to ARU pulling the pin on their support of schoollboys rugby tour.

UK TOURS–UPDATE ON POSTPONEMENT AND THE FUTURE

by ASRU on May 15, 2017 in News

UK TOUR POSTPONED IN 2017

–TO BE HELD IN 2018– THEN EVERY TWO YEARS–

Because of funding cuts by the ARU the Australian Schoolboys Rugby Team’s planned tour to the UK this year has been postponed to 2018.

These tours have been held every four years since 1973 and have been the source of many representative rugby players, including more Wallabies for these tours than from non-tour years.

The good news is that the postponed UK tour from this year will occur in 2018.These tours occur from late November until just before Christmas. Typically they have been for 8 or 9 games in recent years.

Prior to that they were up to 16 games over two and a half months—from late November until late January.

The very good news is that the ARU has agreed that they , as from next year, will occur every two years—thus doubling the number of players who benefit from them. These tours will be slightly shorter—with each one visiting just two of the Home Countries.

There will be five games—two as “mid week” preparatory games , followed by a Test in the first country—most likely Ireland next year. These will be followed by one “mid week” game and then a Test in the second country—for 2018 most probably Scotland.

Then Wales and England would be visited in two years after that in 2020.

The Home Unions are very welcoming of these tours and give excellent support there for them , although not financially.

Br Bob Wallace

President

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Assuming that many of the boys who were the incumbent returning from last year would be bitterly disappointed with Aust Schools rugby tour of Europe 2017 been cancelled due to ARU pulling the pin on their support of schoollboys rugby tour.

UK TOURS–UPDATE ON POSTPONEMENT AND THE FUTURE

by ASRU on May 15, 2017 in News

UK TOUR POSTPONED IN 2017

–TO BE HELD IN 2018– THEN EVERY TWO YEARS–

Because of funding cuts by the ARU the Australian Schoolboys Rugby Team’s planned tour to the UK this year has been postponed to 2018.

These tours have been held every four years since 1973 and have been the source of many representative rugby players, including more Wallabies for these tours than from non-tour years.

The good news is that the postponed UK tour from this year will occur in 2018.These tours occur from late November until just before Christmas. Typically they have been for 8 or 9 games in recent years.

Prior to that they were up to 16 games over two and a half months—from late November until late January.

The very good news is that the ARU has agreed that they , as from next year, will occur every two years—thus doubling the number of players who benefit from them. These tours will be slightly shorter—with each one visiting just two of the Home Countries.

There will be five games—two as “mid week” preparatory games , followed by a Test in the first country—most likely Ireland next year. These will be followed by one “mid week” game and then a Test in the second country—for 2018 most probably Scotland.

Then Wales and England would be visited in two years after that in 2020.

The Home Unions are very welcoming of these tours and give excellent support there for them , although not financially.

Br Bob Wallace

President

Yes, I should imagine they would be extremely disappointed with the postponement!
I'm unsure what this means though? Will the boys selected for Aus school boys this year still be going on tour to the UK & Ireland as planned but due to the cuts not until Nov-Dec of next year will they tour? or is it the case, they miss out on the tour completely? and only the boys selected next year will get that opportunity? Bob Wallace hasn't really made it clear either way,
Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
I had a look at who played Australian Schoolboys and Australian Barbarians in 2016 and remain eligible for Australian Schoolboys selection in 2017. It made for interesting reading.

Assuming their incumbency as a good start then a draft Australian schoolboys team could look something like this.

#1 Bo Abra Aust Barbarians St Stanislaus NSW
#2 Lachlan Lonergan Aust SB Trinity Christian ACT
#4 Harry Wilson Aust SB/ Aust Barbarians St Josephs Gregory Terr QLD
and
Lachlan Osborne Aust Barbarians Canberra Grammar ACT
#5 Nick Frost Aust Barbarians Knox NSW
#6 Charles Rorke Aust Barbarians Riverview NSW
#9 Joshua Vuta Aust SB/ Aust Barbarians Somerset College QLD
#12 Will Harrison (inj?) Aust Barbarians Marcellin College Randwick NSW
#13 Tristan Stanghon Aust Barbarians Anglican Church Grammar QLD
#14 Jordan Peteia Aust Barbarians Brisbane State High QLD

I was quite surprised how many are returning. Will be tough to knock them off I would imagine.

Returning from Combined States 2016

Luke Edwards (Prop) Shore NSW
John Yates (Lock) St Josephs College NSW
Dylan Dowling (Half Back) St Josephs College NSW

Returning from NSW II

Darcy Breen (Prop) Scots NSW

Does anyone have any details on players returning from NSW I, QLD I and II, Combined States, ACT or any other State?

Incumbency ? Means nothing if your opposite playing better in the present time. Who cares what a player did 12 months ago, it is what you doing now.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes, I should imagine they would be extremely disappointed with the postponement!
I'm unsure what this means though? Will the boys selected for Aus school boys this year still be going on tour to the UK & Ireland as planned but due to the cuts not until Nov-Dec of next year will they tour? or is it the case, they miss out on the tour completely? and only the boys selected next year will get that opportunity? Bob Wallace hasn't really made it clear either way,
Your thoughts?

B_A , It appears if you earned selection in the 2017 Aust schoolboys team, you wont be considered for 2018 tour if they are no longer at school. They will instead play the cross-tasman tests against New Zealand and Fiji. I believe with a 'trial game' against the Aust Schoolboys Barbarian happening before then.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
B_A , It appears if you earned selection in the 2017 Aust schoolboys team, you wont be considered for 2018 tour if they are no longer at school. They will instead play the cross-tasman tests against New Zealand and Fiji. I believe with a 'trial game' against the Aust Schoolboys Barbarian happening before then.

Thank you Sole334

After reading Armchair Selectors post above re: Schoolboys who remain eligible for Australian schools selection 2017, we would find most, if not all of those players mentioned will be in their final year of school, therefore not eligible to tour next year.
It does seem extremely unfair and I must say more than disappointing that the ARU have withdrawn funds without any real consideration to how this effects this years selected Australian schoolboys opportunities and representatives pathway, basically the opportunity to represent their country has been taken away from them. See quote below

"These tours have been held every four years since 1973 and have been the source of many representative rugby players, including more Wallabies for these tours than from non-tour years.

I would like to know if the ARU had of at least approached their sponsors one of them being BMW -grassroots to the world stage' to make good their support. see insert from the ARU announcement Feb 10 2016

AUSTRALIAN GRASSROOTS RUGBY RECEIVES FUNDING BOOST
By Rugby News | Feb 10 2016

Australian grassroots rugby has received a significant funding boost with BMW signing on as the naming rights sponsor for the ARU’s Pathway to Gold program.
The Pathway to Gold Program is the national Talent Pathways model that is designed to strengthen Australian Rugby across every format of the game for both men and women.
The deal is the first of its kind in Australian rugby and will see BMW become the naming rights sponsor of the Junior Gold Cup, Australian Schoolboys and Australian U20’s side.
The announcement is particularly important for the Junior Gold Cup, the ARU’s national U15’s and U17’s competition.
“This is the first time in our sport that we’ve formed a partnership that encompasses our entire Pathways program and we are privileged to have the support of one of the world’s great international brands behind the young men and women who will one day represent the Wallabies and our Sevens teams,” ARU CEO Bill Pulver said today.
“As the driving force behind the Wallabies of today, it only makes sense that we extend our support to encompass the Wallabies of tomorrow,” BMW’s Stuart Jaffray added.

Or indeed any of their partners - Land Rover being one of them, sponsors of the wallabies, and asked for their support to help fund the ASRU - tour for this year. If not then why not? Had they tried other avenues such as approaching the big boys" AMP, Westpac bank, commonwealth bank etc or thought to set up some sort of fund raising for the tour?

Or was it more the case of we can't afford to fund this year so as a consolation we will fund every 2 years so tough luck for the 2017 Aus School boys in effect a
"oh well Boys , congratulations on making the highest honours a Rugby Union schoolboy could ever achieve" however, you will be staying in your home country and play the cross Tasman tests against the TOURING TEAMS' Newzealand & Fiji as a consolation......
AS THERE WILL BE NO REPRESENTATIVE TOURING FOR YOU!

Sorry everyone for my ranting! but if we all just lay down and not speak up for these boys, or at least see if there's a way we could all work together and achieve giving to them what the schoolboys rightly deserved before them received and the schoolboys who come after them will receive? Or will we just become a part of this very flippant equation, sit back, say nothing and let them down too!
Thoughts?

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
B_A,

It does appear that way my friend. Im not even sure if these boys are aware the end of year tour is off.
Arguements for and against will debate this controversial issue. It is a huge thing to cancel a tour that happens every 4 yrs for nearly 50 years. The timing is terrible.
However,
If we can separate any sense of entitlement and focus purely on their rugby development, then may be the option is not as bad. We just need to look at NZ rugby to realise we have a great opportunity to compete against one of the best. Maybe even do a short tour to NZ and play some top notch games with the tier one schoolboys rugby. Im sure an itinerary can and should have been in the contingency plans from years past.
The prestige of playing for your country is an honour but I dont think it should deter much from rugby development.
This years team will feel short changed but if the SBRU are saying every 2 years then its a good thing and lots of $$$ spent...which is ironic..lol

Rugby politics aside, I think there will be a few missing from Armchairs list due to end of season injuries. Its an exciting time none the less with new breed of who will cement their place being there before or who will surprise us. . . A David Pocock, a Izzy, or a Will Genia may emerge. . .
Let the games begin and may the best team players emerge.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Incumbency ? Means nothing if your opposite playing better in the present time. Who cares what a player did 12 months ago, it is what you doing now.

TD, in theory you are correct but the boys on that list have previously been selected at this level and therefore anyone hoping to "knock them off" needs to be not only as good but demonstrably better. A tough ask at the pointy end.

Love it or hate it, on past form, an incumbent may be able to get away with a quiet trial, the challenger doesn't have that luxury!

BubbaSim0

Frank Row (1)
All I want to say is... everybody has counted out Vic schoolboys, of making any Aussie teams. I must remind you that they beat Queensland A last year by 26 points, people took notice..they just missed out making the final. I am sure they will impress yet again.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
All I want to say is. everybody has counted out Vic schoolboys, of making any Aussie teams. I must remind you that they beat Queensland A last year by 26 points, people took notice..they just missed out making the final. I am sure they will impress yet again.
Very fair point.

In the end I believe NSW II were on equal points in the pool with Vic. NSW II only went ahead because they beat Vic, but that's history.

A very beautiful piece of history, if I may say so.

Bubba, you must be close to the Vic side. Please nominate your 2 or 3 boys that will be pushing for selection in the Australian sides.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

BubbaSim0

Frank Row (1)
1.Oli Barden
3.Alex Sa'aga
7.Kenneth Leota
14.Haloti Fonua
15. Sione Tui (can play 10 and 12&13) Very classy.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
1.Oli Barden
3.Alex Sa'aga
7.Kenneth Leota
14.Haloti Fonua

Great to see Vic Schools playing its part in strengthening the player base for Australian Rugby. As stated they beat QLD 1 last year 42-16. The year before they beat ACT 35-15. With wins like this and the capacity to produce between 2-5 Australian Schoolboys, the ARU should be pouring the Money into VIC schools.

I noticed Haileybury College and Geelong Grammar.are now playing in the top division. Bringing a total of ten schools in the top division. Additionally, the VIC junior club structure is growing with the adding of a 13s age group. I believe a 15s age group is to be included in the future.12,14s & 16s already exist. The U/18s club teams should be developed to have two teams 1st and 2nd grade. This would create a club structure the same as the VIC schools.

One target area/region the ARU/VRU should be working hard to expand the Game is the Geelong area. With intention of including a Geelong Club side in their senior Club level. Bring to ten the total of senior Clubs.

Although beaten 45-26 by ACT Schools this year in a game prior to the National school Championships,such a warm up match will be beneficial to the team.

BubbaSim0

Frank Row (1)
Some of our Vic boys who have come through the Gold program are at other franchises around Australia and throughout NZ. JP Sauni was in the baby All Blacks that won the World Championship in Georgia. He is also in the Auckland Blues Academy. We also have three boys Hurricanes Academy. 2 in ACT, 1 in Force, and 3 in Queensland...so Victoria is producing some good Rugby players.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
1.Oli Barden
3.Alex Sa'aga
7.Kenneth Leota
14.Haloti Fonua
Must be some good props around this year.

Would have to think, 1 boy in CAS a certainty to get a gold jersey and 1 in GPS up there too. Not sure what is coming down from QLD

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Im letting the cat out of the bag. . .Qld are holding their trials atm. TBH. . . gps1 appear to be sailing solo so far ahead of other teams.

I can see at least 5 making Australian school-boys this year:
  1. Lock Harry Wilson (Aust schoolboys last year)classy and gifted with skills and rugby smarts
  2. Lock Trevor Hosea is all class like Wilson.
  3. Winger T H-F (16yr old with finesse & speed and unprecedented rugby sense for a youngster)
  4. Winger/Centre Jordan Petala(Aust schoolboys Barbarians last year), still a bit rusty(recovering from injury) but looks classy.
  5. 5/8 Parata classy...good passer or 7. Small(Nudgee college) classy
Others who will have a good look in from gps 1 team:
  • Prop Moses Alo-Emile (Qld 1 last year)
  • Ngamanu (Very skillful and slick #8)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Badger, is the cas lad a lock?
IMO Frost is a certainty for schoolboys Lock, and I am also certain he will have his arm around incumbent Harry Wilson from QLD. They will take 2 other locks for the squad.

But what I was referring to, was our friend from Vic has nominated a 1 and a 3 to push for higher honours.

Given the hype about Wright, I was assuming he was pushing for Schoolboy selection as a prop and I would think Breen from Scots will make NSW for a a second year and would also be pushing for Schoolboy selection.

So if Vic have 2 props at this level then selectors have a nice problem.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Vic schoolboys rugby have indeed come a long way from being in the 2nd tier to making the main tier for national selections.
Some of the surnames mentioned by B-S-0 are synonymous with good rugby families.
  • Saaga in particular is definitely front row (brother is in Rebels . .I think). Dad former Manu Samoa player.
  • Another kid from Vic I remembered from earlier days is Faamausili.
The more exposure and consistent results from Nationals will only push their case forward.
Aust schoolboys:
Locks will be :
  • Trevor Hosea & Nick Frost. Harry WIlson will start at 8(he's that good) and cover lock. Great lineout option as well with 3 tall timbers.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Looks like things will be very competitive for Aust SB and Baa Baas in the tight 5.

I imagine that a lot will depend on what style of game they intend to play as to whether they go with a mobile pack or a large dominant pack.

I seriously rate Wright but I also saw the GPS V CAS game on Tuesday and notwithstanding the final result, the GPS scrum was dominant. If you ascribe that work to the Front Row, then I would rate Edwards and Breen responsible. Note that Bell was selected in front of Edwards but was out injured. So Edwards has made the most of his opportunity! Maybe he will be on the radar for Combined States? Deserved in my opinion.

Then you have Bo Abra who by all accounts is playing very well in ISA and was in Baa Baas last year.

The Aust SB Hooker from last year Lachlan Lonergan is back again so you would have to assume he is favourite for #2.

Wilson, Osborne and Frost all played Aust SB or Baa Baas and are all back this year.

There are a lot of people in CAS land cheering Frost on, but like the front row, it depends on what the selectors are looking for. He's great in the lineout (and so are others) but he comes back to the pack with his defence work, his scrum work and his work at the ruck.

At the "pointy end" of selection, a lot will come down to who wants it more and is prepared to put in.

Lots of nice headaches ahead!

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Im letting the cat out of the bag.Qld are holding their trials atm. TBH. gps1 appear to be sailing solo so far ahead of other teams.

I can see at least 5 making Australian school-boys this year:
  1. Lock Harry Wilson (Aust schoolboys last year)classy and gifted with skills and rugby smarts
  2. Lock Trevor Hosea is all class like Wilson.
  3. Winger T H-F (16yr old with finesse & speed and unprecedented rugby sense for a youngster)
  4. Winger/Centre Jordan Petala(Aust schoolboys Barbarians last year), still a bit rusty(recovering from injury) but looks classy.
  5. 5/8 Parata classy.good passer or 7. Small(Nudgee college) classy
Others who will have a good look in from gps 1 team:

• Prop Moses Alo-Emile (Qld 1 last year)
  • Ngamanu (Very skillful and slick #8)

Hosea is 203cm/114 kgs and already signed by Rebels

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree with Armchair that whilst Wright is a powerhouse around the park, his scrummaging looks a bit limited, and could well be found out against the Blacks. Suspect we will know more following the week at Riverview as he appears likely to get a run in one of the NSW teams or at least CS.

I also agree re Frost not being the tightest lock around. But in addition to being arguably the best lineout practitioner in NSW schools, he reads the game well, is very agile and has good speed for a Lock. I think he has scored at least 1 and often 2 tries in every game Knox played this season, many from outside the opposition 22. Provided that Wilson is the hard working diesel engine every team needs in the 2nd row, then I think Frost is the right option for Schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.