• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would counsel any parent tempted to speak directly to any coach, assistant, trainer or anyone else about he rough deal their son is getting not to do so.
You should speak to your son's school coach and get him to act as he go between and information gatherer. If you can't get him speak to convenor of your son's school association. Either will get you a pipeline to a disinterested person who can ask some anonymous questions and get a feel for the position.
This will take any heat out of the issue and be less likely to result in any subliminal or other backlash against the boy.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
SLV,

Have you heard from Donaldson himself that he is confused? It appears you are projecting your passion for him may be your a parent or a very close friend of the family.
I did not "miss the point". These are kids. The same saying goes for all of them. "If they are good enough, they will emerge from the pack and be noticed.
Many players changed positions at this early stages of their rugby careers, and young Donaldson will find the right fit regardless.
Some examples:
  • Scott Sio was told to move positions if he wanted to go further. From memory he was an 8 then to now front row and not doing too bad
  • David Pocock was an inside centre...now one of the best in the business and can play a number of key positions
The point is, players(with a broad skills set) are encouraged to diversify. Curtyley Beale, Mat To'omua, and recently K Hunt. . .because of those reasons coaches and rugby strategist need when fine tuning a specific game plan. Its why at times players are playing "out of position", sometimes it works sometimes no. . .but hes the coach and we are not.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
SLV,

Have you heard from Donaldson himself that he is confused? It appears you are projecting your passion for him may be your a parent or a very close friend of the family.
I did not "miss the point". These are kids. The same saying goes for all of them. "If they are good enough, they will emerge from the pack and be noticed.
Many players changed positions at this early stages of their rugby careers, and young Donaldson will find the right fit regardless.
Some examples:
  • Scott Sio was told to move positions if he wanted to go further. From memory he was an 8 then to now front row and not doing too bad
  • David Pocock was an inside centre.now one of the best in the business and can play a number of key positions
The point is, players(with a broad skills set) are encouraged to diversify. Curtyley Beale, Mat To'omua, and recently K Hunt.because of those reasons coaches and rugby strategist need when fine tuning a specific game plan. Its why at times players are playing "out of position", sometimes it works sometimes no.but hes the coach and we are not.

SOLE334,

I can answer that question about Donaldson.
I have heard it from all concerned.

Anyway as everyone has correctly said, let''s see what happens today and sat.

I am assuming the coaches etc are good guys, never thought any different, so I would expect a change in direction today and sat.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would have thought that if you are good enough to be selected at 10 for NSW I, you must be an incredibly talented player. And to extend that you really should have the ability to play anywhere in the back line.

At the very least at this level you expect 10,12 and 15 to be interchangeable.

I think it is a beat up. It should be an honour to be on the paddock, where ever they put you.

I think Wilkinson was playing 10 for Joeys but got selected at 12 for NSW and AUS.

I already mentioned Rasch played out of his selected position and made Barbarians.

S

sidelineview

Being versatile as a 10 to play 15 or vice versa isnt uncommon and is a feather in the cap of the player.
But this is a bit different. He was selected as a 10 so its reasonable to ask the question why?
He gets an answer, accepts it and gets on with it.
Hopefully it has been sorted.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would have thought that if you are good enough to be selected at 10 for NSW I, you must be an incredibly talented player. And to extend that you really should have the ability to play anywhere in the back line.

I think it is a beat up. It should be an honour to be on the paddock, where ever they put you.

I think Wilkinson was playing 10 for Joeys but got selected at 12 for NSW and AUS.

I already mentioned Rasch played out of his selected position and made Barbarians.
I would have thought if you were good enough to be selected at 10 for NSW1, then that's where you should be playing the majority of the tournament.

Nightstalker

Bob McCowan (2)
Seems another 10 is everyones favourite for selection in the Australian team no matter how poorly he directs his team down the field
This might be a way to get this young man in and appease all "stakeholders"

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
You are inferring that that coaches/administrators put winning games ahead of higher selections?

I've coached rep teams previously, my attitude with the kids was that the aim was to get as many kids as possible into the next level.
And to do that, we needed to win well, with each team member to play their role, and not to overdo it to impress the selectors.
Any coach that has winning their number one priority is only there to advance themselves. Which I think is disgraceful.

No I am not, please stop creating straw men and respect my opinions the way I'm respecting yours.

As a former rep coach, you'd understand the aim is not player selection, it's player development and creating meaningful learning experiences. If your goal is selection for the few that stand a chance at higher honours you'd be doing a massive diservice to the majority of the squad. With a focus on development for the entire group, opportunities higher up sort themselves.

If a guy plays a different position to his jersey number for the sake of the many, then perhaps there's lessons there (which I've unpacked in previous posts).
You've missed the point.
The player himself needs to know where he stands. Uncertainty isnt fair on him.
I hope an adequate explanation has been given and its been sorted.
If he's to play fullback or mostly fullback then so be it. It mightn't be right but if thats what they've decided its locked in.

Lachlan White and Saxon the manager are good blokes but it may be go above their heads.

The situation is already fuelled but it should be sorted out. Hopefully before todays game.
Its reasonable.

The expert opinion was already given by the selectors.

I mostly agree with this, good communication is key. If the coach/management failed to communicate well, their mistake. If the player did not take on the communication, their mistake.

I have seen both cases play out in these environments.

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)
Surprising news that NSW 1 second rower Nick Frost is about to sign a deal with the Crusaders and will be lost from Australian rugby. The alarming thing is that Frost's old man works for the ARU and he is concerned that Australian rugby is not in a position to develop Nick hence the move to NZ. With Frost eligible to represent England expect him to end up in the UK after the stint with the Crusaders

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surprising news that NSW 1 second rower Nick Frost is about to sign a deal with the Crusaders and will be lost from Australian rugby. The alarming thing is that Frost's old man works for the ARU and he is concerned that Australian rugby is not in a position to develop Nick hence the move to NZ. With Frost eligible to represent England expect him to end up in the UK after the stint with the Crusaders

If this is the case it'd more likely be a contract with Canterbury for barely enough money to live (if any). The NZ NPC teams hand these out like they're going out of fashion and most of them end up holding hit shields.

Remember Will Skelton's little brother Cameron? He's been over there for a while now and has only got 1 cap off the bench for Counties.

Unfortunately, a lot of young or 2nd tier Aussie talent take these contracts. Not a lot of them come good but some do.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Are you for real?

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)

HB - Rasch played 6 all year at school so was no major change for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.