• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oz Schoolboys is only A pathway not the ONLY pathway
Many boys who were not selected will go on to wear the Green and Gold
as will some who were selected. Some will even go to league
Good luck to all of them Its their lives, their dreams and their choices
Channeling Mr Jarse?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be no U20 State competition for 2018? If that's the case what does that mean for Australian U20 selections.
There is a discussion in the 2017 U20 thread. Probably need to start a 2018 thread.

But my understanding is as per IS there will be selection camp/camps where all the state U20 squads will attend and various combinations will be trialled - I assume there will be some trial matches played at camp.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
There is a discussion in the 2017 U20 thread. Probably need to start a 2018 thread.

But my understanding is as per IS there will be selection camp/camps where all the state U20 squads will attend and various combinations will be trialled - I assume there will be some trial matches played at camp.

HB, I understood they would be casting the net a little wider than just the lads in this years state U19 squads /academies such as the Brumbies, Reds or Gen Blue etc? or have I understood incorrectly?

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
does anyone know who brett wellington(scots) is, who made the Barbarians line up against the classic wallabies ? Did he play any form of schoolboys as I've never heard his name before... Seems like a big jump from schoolboys to this, good luck to him.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
HB, I understood they would be casting the net a little wider than just the lads in this years state U19 squads /academies such as the Brumbies, Reds or Gen Blue etc? or have I understood incorrectly?
I don't know too much. I think it was Cron who coined the phrase about casting a wide net. (so as to uncover hidden talent and not just rely on traditional pathways).

I am not too sure even if Cron is coaching U20 again next year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't know too much. I think it was Cron who coined the phrase about casting a wide net. (so as to uncover hidden talent and not just rely on traditional pathways).

I am not too sure even if Cron is coaching U20 again next year.

he's not - he's at the Tahs. It. was rumoured to be Thorn but he is now at the Reds

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
does anyone know who brett wellington(scots) is, who made the Barbarians line up against the classic wallabies ? Did he play any form of schoolboys as I've never heard his name before. Seems like a big jump from schoolboys to this, good luck to him.

Hi Rugby Bloke Yep this one was a bolter! (if its the same kid) Brett Wellington was in year 11 at Scots College this year. In 2016 represented NSW U16. In 2017 selected in NSW AAGPS 2nds. Was not selected for NSW Schools (may have been injured?) A strong hard running centre/loose forward, someone rates him for future honours! Well done to the lad. I hope he did well

Gabriel AOTC

Frank Row (1)
PUT IT IN THE BANK: Southern Districts Colts are three weeks into the Pre-Christmas program with solid numbers putting in some great efforts between the Gym and the Pitch - The training has been well organised and is focused on developing skills, knowledge and strength while bonding as a playing group.

Head Strength & Conditioning Guru KLINTON HOARE has returned from Rugby League World Cup duties and is working intensely with the Colts group to ensure all players have every opportunity to adopt a professional standard fitness program.

GET TO TRAINING: Tuesday and Thursday from 6.15pm at Forshaw Rugby Park - Colts and Grade together - Come and put some sweat in the bank for 2018...

SOUTH COLTS REPS: Congratulations to the Colts who have been selected for NSW Gen Blue and Australia U20's camp at the AIS in Canberra:

* NSW Gen Blue: Bayley Kunzle, Cooper Harris, Jordan Morris, Nathan Lawson, Ryan Longville and James Wayland
* Australian U20's: Bayley Kuenzie, Cooper Harris, Jordan Morris and Sama Malolo.
* Welcome back to Sama Malolo from playing in Perth with the Force development and Perth Spirit NRC.

TRAINING GEAR: The new Colts training kit has arrived and will be handed out over the coming training sessions.

Making it possible is a big contribution from the Sponsors - THANKS!

* Ashcroft Packaging: http://www.ashcroftpackaging.com.au
* O’Connor Electrical
* Strictly Plumbing
* Fifes Stockfeed

2018 COLTS TRIALS: The rubber hits the road - time to find out just how good we really are...

* Sat 3rd March v Bowral @ Bowral COLTS ONLY - Bus Trip
* Sat 10 March v Gordon @ Redmond, Brighton-le-Sands
* Sat 17 March v Illawarriors @ Campbelltown Showground
* Sat 24 March v West Harbour @ Redmond, Brighton-le-Sands

UK DEVELOPMENT TOUR: A once in a lifetime Rugby experience - December 2018 vs Northampton Saints, Bristol and Bath Academies and the Driffield RFC Seniors

UOW SCHOLARSHIPS: University of Wollongong have eight Scholarships available for School Leavers who join Souths Colts - get in touch ASAP, these won't last!

COACHES & MANAGERS: We are still looking for talented Coaches and Managers to join the Colts Club in 2018 - Get involved with a great team at Souths Colts

REBELS MUSTER: Southern Districts has several Colts and Grade players joining the club from NSW Country, Interstate and Overseas in 2018 and need a hand from the Rebels community with the following:

* Accommodation - A spare room that the guest players can lodge in over the season - They will be working and can pay board - All professional athletes and well behaved

* Furniture - An old Fridge, Washing Machine, Couch, BBQ, Bed, TV or Microwave for the Souths Rugby Academy can go a long way to make the players comfortable

* Jobs - All the lads can work when they are not training or playing so if your business needs a very capable hand then get in touch

* Clobber - With limited luggage some snappy hand me down threads for the Disco on Saturday Night or Church on Sunday is greatly appreciated.

CONTACT - From information or enquiries on any of the above contact - Keith Holmes: keith@keithholmes.com.au

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Congratulations to 2017 Aust Schoolboy, Tom Woodcock, who was joint dux of Knox Grammar with an ATAR of 99.9 - no mean feat with timing of the Schoolboys' campaign butting up against the HSC exams. Just goes to show that playing high level sport can be balanced with an academic focus. Anyone know of other strong results amongst the playing squad?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congratulations to 2017 Aust Schoolboy, Tom Woodcock, who was joint dux of Knox Grammar with an ATAR of 99.9 - no mean feat with timing of the Schoolboys' campaign butting up against the HSC exams. Just goes to show that playing high level sport can be balanced with an academic focus. Anyone know of other strong results amongst the playing squad?
Knox had a very strong result. 19th in the State, I believe. Way in front of any other school that gets mentioned on this site.

See Kings had big improvement as well.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Yes, there have been plenty sceptical about Knox's growth and ever larger year sizes, but their HSC results have improved every year for the past five years. With over 300 students per year and being non selective, you would intuitively expect results to have deteriorated. They are clearly doing something right.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Excellent result. Any boy who can combine high level sport and high academic achievement should be lauded.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good to see some Aust schoolboys from last year(2017) , progressing into Super Rugby environment.
1. Will Harrison signed 3 yr development contract with Waratahs recently
2. Jordan Petaia debuted last night in the #13 for the REDS white team.
3. Big lock Trevor Hosea is named on the REBELS bench for tonights trial game against BRUMBIES.

ALL the best lads.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
12s usually need some sort of pass other than one out of the back of the hand and to run straight

I assume you guest, he is a very good player, clearly you haven't seen him play much.
I see you are an Easts follower, he is playing for the Easts 1st colts this year, perhaps go and watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.