• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian U/20s 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, he turns 20 this year; so he is eligible. He was training with the Force yesterday and looking sharp in the drills, alternating with Ripia and Stannard as 1st receiver. There are no reports about contact work though.

Are you holidaying or hiding in Perth Lee?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
the ginger 9 from the Aus schoolboys would have to be a shout, he looked fantastic against the kiwis

W

What2040

There are usually a few players who were at school the year before who are in the U/20 team the following year. There were a lot of prospective Super players still at school in 2009, one of the best vintages in recent times, and 6 of them were in the 2010 U/20 side. The 2011 U/20 side had only 2 players who were at school in 2010 and that is closer to the norm.

CFS is a definite candidate to be in the U/20 side the year after leaving school, even though he never got to play for Oz Schools last year because of injury (nor, I believe, for Qld Schools). If he can stay healthy as a senior player he is going to be something special.

I have never seen UJS play, but he must be quite a player too going by the hype about him in the schools forum before he was injured early in the 2011 season. To be given an EPS spot by the Reds a year after leaving school, on not a lot of evidence, shows a lot of faith in him from those who put his name forward.

Has anybody on the forum seen him play? What kind of a player is he?

Lee,
saw UJ as a 15 old playing Under 16 for TSS - played 10 and was special - large lad in comparison to other backs then - could step, was fast, tackle, kick (both goal and general) and seemed durable and a "tough" kid. By far the best prospect from that school in years. Seemed to have all the qualities to become a Super 15 player but unsure of that magical trait of dedication. Hope he is mentored properly at the Reds as he is away from family (in South Australia, I think). IMO if any kid can make it UJ can. Time will tell.

T

tranquility

Lee,
saw UJ as a 15 old playing Under 16 for TSS - played 10 and was special - large lad in comparison to other backs then - could step, was fast, tackle, kick (both goal and general) and seemed durable and a "tough" kid. By far the best prospect from that school in years. Seemed to have all the qualities to become a Super 15 player but unsure of that magical trait of dedication. Hope he is mentored properly at the Reds as he is away from family (in South Australia, I think). IMO if any kid can make it UJ can. Time will tell.

That statement alone has me very excited.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
UJ? CFS? pardon my ignorance but I didn't think we went to initials before any noticeable achievement. MJ = Legend. That's why he can be talked about this way. Finally who is UJ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
UJ? CFS? pardon my ignorance but I didn't think we went to initials before any noticeable achievement. MJ = Legend. That's why he can be talked about this way. Finally who is UJ?

Folks on the schools forum always called him UJ so that must be Seutenis' nickname; hence UJS.

Chris Feauai-Sautia was "Chris Sautia" playing Schools rugby in 2009 but he changed his name adding his mother's surname to honour her; thus he is treated like anybody else with a double barrelled surname and is CFS.

As p.Tah mentioned: it's easier to spell and believe me, if he stays healthy we will be typing out CFS a lot in the future, and glad that we use the abbreviation. I hope we are typing out UJS a lot too.

PS - I may have seen UJS play after all because his name is on the South Australia team list for the 2009 Oz U/16 tournament. The games between the lesser teams are played on a no.2 ground at Riverview but I may have wandered over there between the end of one game on the main ground and the start of another, but have no notes on my programme to that effect.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
PS - I may have seen UJS play after all because his name is on the South Australia team list for the 2009 Oz U/16 tournament. The games between the lesser teams are played on a no.2 ground at Riverview but I may have wandered over there between the end of one game on the main ground and the start of another, but have no notes on my programme to that effect.

As one does. Our man has just redefined the phrase, "rugby tragic".

T

tranquility

Yeah he is. He would also be very short odds to make the side.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Who are the standouts from the 2011 Brisbane & Sydney Colts and Grade teams that are in this age group?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
A couple of the Current OZ 7's guys would be a chance for the 20's side and the experience they're getting on the Sevens circuit will be a bit of a plus. Thinking of Crook, Foley and the young fellow who was OZ schools last year in the forwards, McMahon I think.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
given the consensus (not a word one sees here very much) that Nucifora did last year's team no favours - the most important question is or may be who is the coach?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
given the consensus (not a word one sees here very much) that Nucifora did last year's team no favours - the most important question is or may be who is the coach?

I assume the U20 will be run by the same mob running the national academy. Nucifora can only work with what he is given, however last year was very disappointing, the year before that the team went alright before being trashed in the final.

The U20 job is a pretty decent dress rehearsal for the national team job as coaches are forced to work with what they are given rather than at province level where they can bring in new players and mould a team over an extended period. Results must always be looked at in context of the players available and the team performances over the length of the competition. I'd rather see our U20's (and wallaby team) playing good rugby, rather than just winning games, because when you play good rugby winning takes care of itself.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Who are the standouts from the 2011 Brisbane & Sydney Colts and Grade teams that are in this age group?
This is a key question that is asked from year to year but not answered well, especially as regards Colts. The reason is, probably, that people are not in the environment long enough to have a continued interest in Colts because they may be players or relatives - and time moves on. Now and then we get a lot of information about Colts at one club because a forum member is connected to it, but that's about it.

Grade is better for assessing the form of young players but often an up and comer is not playing in 1st Grade; so you don't see him on TV. In that case the same situation as is the case with Colts, applies. The irony is that you may get to see a young player on TV who looks promising in a lesser club but is not as good as another playing 2nd Grade at a top club - or could even be notably inferior to a player in Sydney Uni Colts.

What we do get is a bit of whingeing about too many ex-Oz Schoolboys or NTS/Gold individuals being chosen for Oz U/20s without mention of who should be selected instead from lads who might not have made their mark as Schools players, but have emerged after their school days.

I hope that between the start of the season and the time of selection, that some folks provide some input on the matter. Names would be good.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope dont mind me informing about the SA U20s on the same thread?

SA U20s were busy with camps and had two mathes against Varsity up Champs Ikeys and Maties

SARugby
SA U20 camp concludes in Stellenbosch

January 28, 2012
The South African Under-20s' successful training camp in Stellenbosch concluded with a tough friendly match against Maties yesterday.
Although Maties won the game by 31-21, SA U20 coach Dawie Theron still proclaimed the camp a success.
Theron and his assistants, Nazeem Adams and Brendan Venter, had two weeks to work with a squad of 31 players, during which time they managed to put in a lot of playing structure with an eye on the Junior World Championship in June.
"The camp was very valuable in terms of our preparation for the Junior World Champs. We've really progressed and I have to applaud the players for the hard work they put in in mostly very hot conditions," said Theron.
"The players now fully understand how we want to play and can further fine-tune our plans when we host Argentina in April.
"Hopefully most members of the squad will get game time in the Vodacom Cup and Varsity Cup, which will improve their match fitness and confidence even more."
Speaking about the friendly against Maties, Theron said it was very good match preparation for his team against one of the best club sides in the country.
The match was split up in three chukkas of 30 minutes each. Maties took an early 14-0 lead and although the SA U20s fought back well, they could never catch up on the score board.
"Our two training games were never about the result though. I thought our set piece play was good against Maties, and we're making great progress in implementing our defensive structures, said Theron.
"Maties came at us hard and I was very happy with the character showed by my players against a team that consisted of players that had played at Absa Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup level."
Shaun Adendorff, Pat Howard and JJ de Klerk scored tries for the SA U20s, while Tony Jantjies converted all three

Teams that played in the matches
vs Ikeys:
15 Marais Schmidt, 14 JJ de Klerk, 13 William Small-Smith, 12 Patrick Howard, 11 Travis Ismael, 10 Tony Jantjies, 9 Kevin Luiters, 8 Fabian Booysen, 7 Wiaan Liebenberg, 6 Khaya Majola, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Paul Willemse, 3 Nicolaas van Dyk, 2 Mark Pretorius, 1 Allan Dell.
Replacements (from): Gideon Muller, Marzuq Maarman, Jason Thomas, Franco Marais, Mihlali Mpafi, Ettiene Oosthuizen, Jacques du Plessis, Cobus Nel, Shaun Adendorff, Poerie van Rooyen, KK Hlungwane, Errol Jaggers, Mathys Smit, Jan Serfontein, Ruwellyn Isbell.
vs Maties:
The SA Under-20 team (to play the Maties): 15 Marais Schmidt, 14 JJ de Klerk, 13 William Small-Smith, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Travis Ismaiel, 10 Tony Jantjies, 9 Kevin Luiters, 8 Fabian Booysen, 7 Wiaan Liebenberg, 6 Khaya Majola, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Paul Willemse, 3 Nicolaas van Dyk, 2 Mark Pretorius, 1 Allan Dell.
Replacements: Gideon Muller, Marzuq Maarman, Jason Thomas, Franco Marais, Mihlali Mpafi, Ettiene Oosthuizen, Jacques du Plessis, Cobus Nel, Shaun Adendorff, Poerie van Rooyen, KK Hlungwane, Errol Jaggers, Mathys Smit, Patrick Howard, Ruwellyn Isbell.

Dawie Theron sure have a huge responability this year with the tournament at home.

SARugby
England bar South Africa’s way once more

December 12, 2011
South Africa’s hopes of claiming the IRB Junior World Championship may once again depend on their performance against England, following the announcement of the draw by the International Rugby Board on Monday.
Dawie Theron’s young stars have again been pooled with England, having suffered defeat to them at the same stage in this year’s tournament. South Africa also lost to England in the semifinals in both the inaugural 2008 and 2009 events. The one success came in 2010 when England were beaten 27-22 in the bronze medal match in Argentina.
South Africa have also been drawn with Ireland and Italy in a tough Pool B while defending champions New Zealand take on Fiji, Wales and Samoa in Pool A. Pool C is equally tough with Australia, France, Argentina and Scotland drawn together.
The International Rugby Board has confirmed that the University of the Western Cape in Cape Town and the Danie Craven Stadium in Stellenbosch will jointly host the tournament between June 4 and 22.
In a move away from recent Championship formats, the 2012 event will feature just two venues with triple-headers being played on five match days to maximise crowds and create a festival format within what is a large Rugby heartland.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “The IRB Junior World Championship has grown to become one of the most eagerly anticipated events on the global Rugby calendar, delivering a competitive development pathway for our Unions as well as a fantastic competitive product which has proven a hit with fans and broadcasters.”
“So far, 111 players have made the step up from the Tournament to win full test caps, including 49 players who made their mark at Rugby World Cup 2011.”
“We look forward to another memorable tournament in 2012 and the opportunity to embrace the rich Rugby heritage of the region with the dynamic and free-flowing Rugby provided by the next generation of international test stars.”
The South Africa Rugby Union (SARU) is committed to delivering a tournament to further the growth of Rugby within the country, while building on the record-breaking 2011 edition staged in the Veneto region of Italy which was screened live by 19 broadcasters to 142 territories.
IRB Tournament Director Philippe Bourdarias, speaking in South Africa for the announcement, said: “The IRB Junior World Championship is strategically important both for the IRB and participating Unions as it provides a competitive international arena to test and develop some of the best up and coming players and referees in the world.”
“South Africa has a proven record in hosting wonderful Rugby events and I am sure the teams and players will enjoy a unique experience here next year.”
SARU President Oregan Hoskins said: “We are delighted to host the IRB Junior World Championship 2012 in our rugby-mad country and we look forward to welcoming the teams here in June.”
The South African pair of Patrick Lambie and Francois Hougaard join an illustrious list of graduates, which includes New Zealand’s RWC 2011 winners Aaron Cruden, Zac Guildford and Sam Whitelock, Australia’s David Pocock and Will Genia, England’s Courtney Lawes and Ben Youngs and Wales’ youngest ever RWC captain Sam Warburton.

T

tranquility

Is that flyhalf a relation of the previous standout u20 and lions flyhalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.