• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia's Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd say if Palu had been fit it would have been a 3 horse race between Pocock, Sharpe and Palu. But he is not, so Pocock winner for me, Sharpe the smokey.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the point in this award?

Effectively it can become a bit of an embarrassment if "Australia" chooses someone to be "Australia’s Choice – 2010 Qantas Wallaby of the Year" who does not also win the John Eales Medal.

While Bam Bam should win both awards this year with daylight second, it may not always be so clear cut.

A popular vote is always open to "rorting". For example for every Lee Grant who will vote impartially considering all objective on field performance factors who votes, there will be my sister Bar Schmitt (nee Jarse) voting for the bloke with the best haircut to nullify the considered vote.
Similarly two school kids (or a bunch of colts) can vote for one of their alumni/(club players) regardless of how well they may have performed. Why bother to vote?

Best to stick with the "official" count via the players for the John Eales Medal rather than create another award just for the sake of it.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Heaps of things have a 'people's choice' type award to go along with the big one. It mightn't be as objective or scientific as the top one but that's kind of the point; just a bit of fun and lets the kiddies get involved.

Think of the kiddies!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd say if Palu had been fit it would have been a 3 horse race between Pocock, Sharpe and Palu. But he is not, so Pocock winner for me, Sharpe the smokey.

Matt Giteau as the smokey, his mum is using proxies to bump up his vote as we speak

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What is the point in this award?

While Bam Bam should win both awards this year with daylight second, it may not always be so clear cut.

Best to stick with the "official" count via the players for the John Eales Medal rather than create another award just for the sake of it.

Just remember Giteau won it last year. Even he was embarrassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.