• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Baabaas Squad v. England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
He has no change of pace, no ability to change direction, he's shown little to no awareness of running lines...

He played alongside rugby league's best halfback at the Bulldogs and the Cowboys. He got by as a strong runner at the Bulldogs (although certainly not a noted ball-player), he cocked around at the Cowboys doing sweet F-all, and now he's a centre?

I believe he's comparing himself to SBW. SBW has a notoriously good training ethic. Mason does not. SBW has always been known as a gifted athlete. Mason has always been simply "Big Willie". I could go on and on...

This +1.

Any Crusader/Canterbury talk of SBW always centered upon how hard the guys works, and how hungry he is to learn the game. He seems genuinely liked even by those with whom he is competing for an AB shirt (eg Nonu).

However, why blame Mason. He doesn't pick the sides. The Toulon owner is an idiot.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Good Baabaa forward pack. Not so sure about the backs, especially Mason (ostensibly as an inside centre I think?).

The England squad is quite interesting and full of younger blokes:

A good chance to scope some of the potential Pom ogres of the furture this one.

A few lads there playing for fringe England WC squad spots (Monye, Simpson-Daniel). Others are well off the pace and very much "future" players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are plenty of big slowish islanders types running around playing crash ball 12, not many appear as lazy as Mason, but they are about

D

daz

On another point, does the fact that an untried debut player like Mason being called into a baabaas squad dilute the honour that goes with being a baabaa?

It just seems a bit odd. Any other precedent been set in this regard? Has a first time rugby player actually earned the right to don the Barbarian jumper?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Schalk's not chosen because Saracens play in the Premiership final the day before, otherwise he would have been brilliant to watch in this game.
I'm pretty sure Brits is staying with Sarries next year, he signed a contract extension with them about 6 months ago.

Huia Edmonds isn't joining them anymore, the deal fell through: Saracens have instead secured the services of John Smit on an 18 month contract, which will be officially confirmed by him once the Sharks season is over, but it's a done deal that he's coming to join them.

I missed all this news, thanks. I didn't play attention to when the 1st Baas game was being played but I should have twigged that there were no Leicester or Sarries players in either team and a penny should have dropped that they were playing next weekend when the AP final is on. No, Brits wouldn't be putting the boots on the day after the final, would he?

I see that Howlett was chosen though, yet Munster is playing the day before also: in the Magners final; but it's different for wingers, I suppose. If he is playing then fullback Nacewa of Leinster, one of the best club players in Europe and also playing in the final, might have got a spot as well.

I thought that Joe Simpson of Wasps would have got a gig for England as I rate him as their no.3 scrummie, but maybe he already has his plane ticket for NZ, or is not available.

As for Willie Mason: I think that Toulon owner, Mourad Boudjellal, is going to get a big surprise watching him play.

Dobbie

Agree that that Gaskell has a big future. Was amazed when the young lock was made the Sale captain at the beginning of the season - at age 20. Agree also that 13. Trinder has played well too: fast, good feet, and a sharp mind. Yes: Horne-ish. I hadn't noticed him before this year. I got a high regard for Callum Clark in 2010/11 also, but my word, he seems to have played a lot of games already, hasn't he?

England have some good up and coming props with 1. Marler and 3. Doran-Jones, don't they? PDJ is the right age but Marler is an extraordinary talent for his years: still only 20, yet he was seldom bested in the season in the Quins games I saw.

Talking about some of these young fellows reminds me that I should retract something. You wrote early in the season that young players in England have more opportunity to play pro rugby than they do in Oz. Thinking of our youngsters like JOC (James O'Connor), Bealse and Cooper, I pooh-poohed your statement and said that even the Celts used younger players than English clubs did.

But during the season and notably, but not exclusively, around the time that England players were put in cotton wool for the autumn tests and 6N, and for matches outside of the Heineken Cup and Avira Premiership, there were a lot of very young English players who got a shot at pro rugby.

Sure, there are more clubs over there, so would expect more youth opportunities but all the same.... There's Marler of course, a young shaver in prop years, and the youngest Tuilagi, plus Gaskell , Brookes, Catterick and Daly - and a lot more if I put my mind to it.

D

daz

As much as I have criticised SBW, he has done well to become a much improved union player. He really had no idea in the above video.

Some of the things SBW does are simply breath-taking and as he grows in the code and gains a greater understanding, so too will his abilities. He is just such a gifted and naturally talented athlete.

On the other side of the coin, Mason is no SBW. That is for sure and certain.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Schalk Brits is the ultimate barbarians hooker but as people have said the prem final is around the time of this match so he won't be playing. Not sure why Mason is playing centre, he will get raped at 13 if he plays there. I hope JSD makes him look like a fool just like he did to lomu.

[video=youtube;lA7OKP9N06g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7OKP9N06g[/video]

Lee

Yeh Gaskell was a bit "lucky" to be made captain but he got injured soon after and they never gave it back to him. Mike brewer got launched in similar fashion to Friend. Trinder is quality and hope to see him start for england, he has the potential to play tests in the next couple of years.

Marler is a nutter but also a monster. A quick search on youtube would most likely bring up a few fights as well as a spectacular try for Eng U20's last year. PDJ is a funny one got put in the england team after about 8 starts for Glos, he has improved a lot though and is now rightfully in the mix. Has a funny history with Haskell as well, quite the camera man :).

At one stage I think Callum Clark had played in every game of the season, albeit off the bench for many of them but still he only missed one or two games.

Daly is the next 13 to come through, nice guy actually and I have measured up to him quite a few times over the years. Very quick, strong, decent boot and a great line breaker. Sometimes a bit eager in defence and can miss some easy tackles but he will improve. Odd Fact: He managed to get up to 86 kgs on a 6ft frame at 15 just by doing callisthenics, no weights at all.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Schalk Brits is the ultimate barbarians hooker but as people have said the prem final is around the time of this match so he won't be playing. Not sure why Mason is playing centre, he will get raped at 13 if he plays there. I hope JSD makes him look like a fool just like he did to lomu.

[video=youtube;hs4dTSDd-xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs4dTSDd-xA[/video]

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In Australia the Heineken Cup was on Setanta, as is the Aviva Premiership and Magners League. For completeness: the Top14 is on Eurosports and 6N was on ESPN.

The next replay of the HC final listed in the Setanta programme is not until Wednesday 1st June.

There is another solution to the question of how to watch a replay of the match, but the answer to that lies across the tasman.

I mentioned the virtues of subscribing to Setanta for rugby nuts before the season and it's worthwhile thinking of it now for next. At the risk of folks thinking I am spruiking the channel for personal gain: it cost me $19 a month for the package I had, and I will cancel my subscription after the Magners League and AP finals. Then I'll take it up again in a few months time. Not bad; but check with Setanata before you subscribe to see what rugby tournaments they have on next season. It could change.

There's no use subscribing though if you don't have the time to watch a lot of rugby.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
On another point, does the fact that an untried debut player like Mason being called into a baabaas squad dilute the honour that goes with being a baabaa?

It just seems a bit odd. Any other precedent been set in this regard? Has a first time rugby player actually earned the right to don the Barbarian jumper?

Sonny Bill? He hadn't played any S14 or All Black tests before he was up for the Baa baas. Maybe a few games in Europe IIRC. I guess that does count.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Folks should remember that they always have a new player in the Baas team. Often they are league players like Robinson, Rogers and SBW.

This year it is Big Wiliie. I'm disappointed that nobody noticed my earlier irony when I wrote: As for Willie Mason: I think that Toulon owner, Mourad Boudjellal, is going to get a big surprise watching him play.

A few year's back when Mason's manager was putting the rugby union berley out for a bigger league contract I said that Willie's union career would last only as long as his first ruck.

Maybe not - but I can't wait to see him in the first one all the same.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't know if Peter FitzSimons is telling the truth here but it's pretty funny:

ROOKIE ERROR
There was a fascinating quote from Willie Mason this week, concerning being recognised in Toulon. "I walk around and they say, 'Mason, Mason' … they call me 'Machine' wherever I go." Really? Actually, Willie, I suspect not. I, seriously, used to think the same thing and had been living in France for six months before I realised that "Machin" that I was constantly hearing all about, everywhere I went, is French slang for "Bloggs" or "whats-his-name." "Voila, Machin …" they would say when I arrived. And who is the five-eighth for Perpignan this weekend? That would be Machin. The bus-driver? Machin. The bloke from Australia with the sort of afro mop-top? I think you'll find that it is "Machin", too.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...ure-no-kiwi-20110527-1f88x.html#ixzz1Nayb0dMk

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I had a dream I watched this game last night and Willie Mason kept trying to play the ball like in league, but well after the whistle had been blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.