• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Back at training.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
All the players should be back in training over the next day or two so who do you think will come back overweight / unfit after the holiday period?

My money is on Turinui (easy bet), Tuqiri (past history), Beale and Dunning.

S

Spook

Gerrard enjoys his pies over Christmas. Last year he was ok but the year before he was a blimp.

Leroy Heuston was a fat bastard all last year.

R

rugbywhisperer

Aussie D said:
All the players should be back in training over the next day or two so who do you think will come back overweight / unfit after the holiday period?
My money is on Turinui (easy bet), Tuqiri (past history), Beale and Dunning.

Aussie - pal thats the biggest free bet all day long.
I have been training some schoolboys over the school break and they are looking gooood. beep increase of 20% min, bench up 10% min, recovery outstanding.
How long till the season starts???

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
I think trials start around Australia Day with the S14 kicking off mid-Feb. Think Queensland are going to surprise a lot of people this year and make the semis.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Let's all hope that you are right but they keep bleeding experienced players and I think they will be pushing the proverbial uphill again.

Even in 2008 they had a lot of good players but as a team they couldn't get certain things right like: winning a winnable game, playing as individuals and not as a team, and having more than their share of bonehead, or naive, plays.

To redress those matters you need experience. The loss of Moore, Horwill and Croft, and even Blake and Roe, will hinder that process. Having Homes and 3M healthy will make a difference, but of all the Oz S14 teams, Qld will be the most vulnerable to injuries to their best 22 players. Again.

I know that the Reds have some fine young players. People may point out how they benefited from the exuberance of the likes of the young Horan and Little yonks ago, but you need the old heads to direct the youngsters, and Qld have lost too many of them, too soon.

As usual, I hope that I am wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well I for one hope that Danya Edwards, James Hanson, Blair Connor, Jack Kennedy and even that 4s player James O'Connor have a little more bulk on them this season.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
As long as Edwards' added bulk is muscle! Lets hope we see a much fitter version who can play out most of the game.

S

Spook

Is Hardman still playing? At least he'll sure up your set piece.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes, he is, and with Edwards and Holmes either side of him the scrum should be pretty strong, particularly when Horwill comes back. But as LG said we are short on quality back-ups and this susceptable to injuries

T

TOCC

well the Reds have travelled down to NSW(Tweed Heads area) for a training camp for a couple of days, then stopping at the Gold Coast on the way back to have a open day training session for the gold coast beach bums to come out and watch

T

TOCC

Lee Grant said:
Let's all hope that you are right but they keep bleeding experienced players and I think they will be pushing the proverbial uphill again.

Even in 2008 they had a lot of good players but as a team they couldn't get certain things right like: winning a winnable game, playing as individuals and not as a team, and having more than their share of bonehead, or naive, plays.

To redress those matters you need experience. The loss of Moore, Horwill and Croft, and even Blake and Roe, will hinder that process. Having Homes and 3M healthy will make a difference, but of all the Oz S14 teams, Qld will be the most vulnerable to injuries to their best 22 players. Again.

I know that the Reds have some fine young players. People may point out how they benefited from the exuberance of the likes of the young Horan and Little yonks ago, but you need the old heads to direct the youngsters, and Qld have lost too many of them, too soon.

As usual, I hope that I am wrong.
you mentioned the loss of Moore, Horwill, Croft, Blake and Roe as hindering the process, this is something which continue to annoy me.

IMO the best game the Reds played all season was the loss to the crusaders, do you know what the lineup for that match was?

Chris Latham,
Clinton Schifcofske
Morgan Turinui
Berrick Barnes
Peter Hynes
Quade Cooper
Ben Lucas
Leroy Houston
David Croft/Daniel Braid
Poutasi Luafutu
James Horwill (c)
Van Humphries
Dayna Edwards
Stephen Moore
Ben Coutts

Roe, Cordingely and Blake didnt even play this match and Latham went off injured after 8 minutes into the match with Digby Ioane replacing him.

So out of that side, the Reds lose Moore and Croft but have Hardman and Braid to replace them. I have being saying this for a while, Lathams career at the Reds finished in 2006, he played only several games since then and he never reached his 2006 form at S14 level.

Croft, whilst i love him for all the effort he showed, he wasnt a leader, and i dont know how much i should read into it, but in the Reds biggest win of 2008 against the Bulls, Croft was on the bench.

btw, Horwill isnt a loss, he is only injured for the first few games

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm one who won't be training this year... having had a long time to think about it over the break, I've decided I'm just plain pissed off that I sacrificed all that time on the training paddock and at games last year only to get 20 minutes on some weeks, and then barely any time in the finals. I'm all for being a good club man, but only if everyone else is too. When the "you don't train = you don't play" rule goes out the window, well... fuck 'em.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
TOCC,

It may have been the best performance of the season, but we still lost a game that we probably should have won. Although I take your point that the experienced players that we have lost aren't really ones that were used to leading us to wins anyway. Latham is probably an exception to that, but as you say his form wasn't consistently as high as it was a few years ago.

T

TOCC

Scotty said:
TOCC,

It may have been the best performance of the season, but we still lost a game that we probably should have won. Although I take your point that the experienced players that we have lost aren't really ones that were used to leading us to wins anyway. Latham is probably an exception to that, but as you say his form wasn't consistently as high as it was a few years ago.

yeah we should have won that match in retrospect, it was the inexperience factor that shown through, Lucas and Ioane both gettin sent off in the last 10 minutes. That is a individual issue though, i dont think having Roe, Blake or Latham on the field would have stopped Lucas or Ioane doing what they did.

Even in the years gone by when those 'more experienced' players were there, it didnt stop players having brain explosions or losing composure. So why not start from a new slate, entrust the future into the likes of Horwill, Hynes, Holmes, Barnes and McMenimen.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
I'm one who won't be training this year... having had a long time to think about it over the break, I've decided I'm just plain pissed off that I sacrificed all that time on the training paddock and at games last year only to get 20 minutes on some weeks, and then barely any time in the finals. I'm all for being a good club man, but only if everyone else is too. When the "you don't train = you don't play" rule goes out the window, well... fuck 'em.

So you are planning to be bigger than Chris Kerisiano ?

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
I am having mixed feelings about preseason training at the moment. Do I go on a diet and exercise and play lock or do I keep eating as much food as a medium size family, laze about on the couch and bulk up to play prop? Decisions, decisions .....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
TOCC said:
btw, Horwill isnt a loss, he is only injured for the first few games

Thanks - I didn't know that. I thought that he was going to miss the whole season, or most of it.

It's a big difference, isn't it?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is Edwards actually training now or still injured? ie is his back injury OK....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Is Edwards actually training now or still injured? ie is his back injury OK....

IMG_0632.jpg

Looks like he's fit and training, or at least he's standing their getting punched. Relevant training for a prop I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.