• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought that he was remarkably restrained.

He's pretty much 100% right IMO.

http://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2017/10/28/post-match-press-conference-barbarians

That referee personified everything that is wrong with rugby - an official out of his depth and with no feel for the game. It's no wonder people like Wamberal complain about the laws.

We did learn that the ARU made $1.6 million out of it despite doing nothing.

Bullshit, he whinged about the up jumper move being disallowed. It is against the rules, he moaned about the number of penalties against his team, look i didn't think much of the ref, but baabaas were well offside a lot of the time, do you really want Baabaas to be treated like the Harlem globetrotters where the right laws of the game don't apply to them? I sure the rest of the world will certainly turn off a fine clubs games if that the case!I thought Alan Jones comments were an embarassment to the baabaas, and Australia rugby He then said all the players didn't like it and said the wouldn't do it again, then Quade says he loved it, so who is lying??

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I wasn't particularly happy with the harsh sanctions "in the spirit of the Baa Baas" etc and expressed that, but Cyclo has a point...

I imagine the referee is damned either way whether it by the fans or his bosses.

For the most part I thought he did officiate in the spirit of the game and tried to let things play out a bit.

And Alan Jones is just a sick, miserable shell of a human being who seeks attention and nobody should treat him seriously.

Gob smacking stupid comment

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just to remind about Alan Jones, this man who has apparently thinks he maybe the moral guardian of our game, is the same Alan Jones who whilst coaching the Wallabies accused Nick Farr Jones of more or less being a traitor, because he had a few beers with some All Blacks after a Baabaa's game in which they had played together, and seems had a rule no fraternising with the opposition after games etc. Well if he the way some of you think rugby should be played god help you. I think Slim sums up what i thought of him after hearing him speak at a luncheon a couple years back, and he certainly has done nothing to change my mind!

T

TOCC

I’m still gobsmacked that the ARU made $1.6million from a game they claimed wasn’t their responsibility to promote.. despite featuring the Wallabies in Australia’s largest city..

Those pricks are truly delusional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I feel sorry for Quade. All game he is ahead of the ledger for what he added. Then he gets a yellow. As weak as it was it still puts a nail in his coffin in terms of the wallaby #10. Cheika would be thinking that he still makes too many unacceptable mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I feel sorry for Quade. All game he is ahead of the ledger for what he added. Then he gets a yellow. As weak as it was it still puts a nail in his coffin in terms of the wallaby #10. Cheika would be thinking that he still makes too many unacceptable mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I agree Chas, I thought Quade had a bloody good game, I also thought weak YC maybe used as an excuse to leave him out, I suspect Izzy may of wished he got up a bit quicker instead of trying to milk it, because I sure he never intended that to happen. I also thought Quade spoke well at aftermatch press con, and like Kurtley certainly seems to maturing into a fine man, and shows perhaps we too quick to judge these fellas when they young and still haven't had experience.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bullshit, he whinged about the up jumper move being disallowed. It is against the rules, he moaned about the number of penalties against his team, look i didn't think much of the ref, but baabaas were well offside a lot of the time, do you really want Baabaas to be treated like the Harlem globetrotters where the right laws of the game don't apply to them? I sure the rest of the world will certainly turn off a fine clubs games if that the case!I thought Alan Jones comments were an embarassment to the baabaas, and Australia rugby He then said all the players didn't like it and said the wouldn't do it again, then Quade says he loved it, so who is lying??

You're entitled to your view. No need to use offensive language though.

Usually these games are refereed by an experienced official who is either about to retire or just retired - Craig Joubert would have been a good fit for example.

Your clearly don't like Alan Jones - and you're not alone in that regard. Try to separate that from the substance of (a) what occurred and (b) the rational points that were made.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And where I was sitting, pretty much everyone was expressing the same thoughts as Jones - some much more forcefully.

EDIT: And I love the way the the ARU trouser $1.6 million from a game that they say had nothing to do with them and for which they did zero promotion.

If they didn’t get anything they would be deserving of criticism. WTF are they? A charity? The contracted players are intrinsic to the future of the game here. I thought we all knew that. Why on earth should they be put out into a contest where no revenue is on offer?

Do you still pine for the good old days when nobody got paid?

I would like to see, just once, something positive about the ARU from you.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If they didn’t get anything they would be deserving of criticism. WTF are they? A charity? The contracted players are intrinsic to the future of the game here. I thought we all knew that. Why on earth should they be put out into a contest where no revenue is on offer?

Do you still pine for the good old days when nobody got paid?

Yes, had they have got nothing out of it they would have deserved criticism.

Why then, as they were clearly going to earn somthing from the match, did they not try to promote it? Why did they not try to use it to get some much needed good publicity?

I pine for an administration which knows what its doing, knows how to do it and advances the game in this coutnry.

I have nothing by contempt for what recent administrations have done to the game I love.

When they deserve praise they'll get it.

Interesting that you never criticise the ARU, no matter what, but criticise others for never praising them.

Pot, kettle, black.

Have a look in the mirror old friend.

T

TOCC

Goes both ways, just once I’d like to see an unbiased and pragmatic comment from you about the ARU.

Do you agree with Cameron Clyne that the ARU were right not to promote the game because it was hosted by the Barbarians? Despite featuring 25 odd Australian players, the wallabies and been played in Sydney?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Wallabies did media during the week. Cheika did media appearances with Alan Jones.

The game was certainly promoted on their social media channels.

Apparently not having a program for the match is a) a huge issue even though I would guess very few get sold and b) apparently all the ARU's fault.

The ARU get a fee from the match. That is how it works when they are the invited team by the Barbarians. The Barbarians are the hosts and take the upside and downside risk of the fixture.

So when Jones sprays them about them not producing a matchday program that was never their responsibility, what should the response have been?

The ARU have made a litany of mistakes in recent (or all) years but it does seem like people want to turn every issue into being entirely their fault regardless of the reality of the situation.

Should the ARU have turned down the match? The complaints about it conflicting with the NRC are valid but realistically it was this weekend or nothing.

With the financial state of the game are the ARU really in the position where turning down more than $1m net is a good decision?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The Wallabies did media during the week. Cheika did media appearances with Alan Jones.

The game was certainly promoted on their social media channels.

Apparently not having a program for the match is a) a huge issue even though I would guess very few get sold and b) apparently all the ARU's fault.

The ARU get a fee from the match. That is how it works when they are the invited team by the Barbarians. The Barbarians are the hosts and take the upside and downside risk of the fixture.

So when Jones sprays them about them not producing a matchday program that was never their responsibility, what should the response have been?

The ARU have made a litany of mistakes in recent (or all) years but it does seem like people want to turn every issue into being entirely their fault regardless of the reality of the situation.

Should the ARU have turned down the match? The complaints about it conflicting with the NRC are valid but realistically it was this weekend or nothing.

With the financial state of the game are the ARU really in the position where turning down more than $1m net is a good decision?

This isn’t people making an issue of nothing, this is what Clyne the fool said:

Any game featuring the Wallabies is the ARU’s responsibility to promote, especially one been played in Australia featuring 25 odd Australian players. Clyne claiming it’s not their responsibility is a reflection of how out of touch and confused those assholes at the ARU are

abe6b3473b12fe3c1c49cf8ab68404fb.jpg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nah mate

abe6b3473b12fe3c1c49cf8ab68404fb.jpg

Whilst I agree that was a disgraceful comment, there is a lot of emphasis being placed on that sole line versus the reality of what actually occurred, as BH points out.

Those who have had anything to do with the media will also tell you that it’s the editors job to get maximum impact from quotes in interviews. Objective achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

This was about the matchday program or lack thereof which Jones was saying the ARU's fault.

What should Clyne have said?

It was a fairly broad comment by Clyne seemingly not limited to just a match day program rather the ARU’s overall attitude to the match, there’s 100 other things he could have said besides what he did, it was an idiotic comment to make.

Any match featuring the Wallabies is the ARU’s to promote, especially one in Australia.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it’s a comment made directly about the match day program but contextualised to make it sound like it’s about the whole fixture.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Also if you took that pic of Dempsey that you put up TOCC then you were sitting near me!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was a fairly broad comment by Clyne seemingly not limited to just a match day program rather the ARU’s overall attitude to the match, there’s 100 other things he could have said besides what he did, it was an idiotic comment to make.

Any match featuring the Wallabies is the ARU’s to promote, especially one in Australia.
I agree it was a dumb comment displaying no tact. Who knows what else was said during the press conference.

The ARU did promote the game through their regular channels in a similar way to other domestic test matches.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Goes both ways, just once I’d like to see an unbiased and pragmatic comment from you about the ARU.

Do you agree with Cameron Clyne that the ARU were right not to promote the game because it was hosted by the Barbarians? Despite featuring 25 odd Australian players, the wallabies and been played in Sydney?

Business wise, yes, the ARU weren't going to make a cent more from spending any of their fee promoting someone else's event

And if they did there would a load of posters complaining that they had wasted money promoting this event

Status
Not open for further replies.