• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

BBL5 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sixers v Renegades was another exciting match. Plenty of momentum changes throughout. Good win to the Sixers - the match finished with a text book straight drive for four.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Renegades will continue to struggle if they can't consistently hit 185+

Obviously injuries have played some part, so they have neither Pattinson or Siddle available, but none of the 9 best Batsmen, bar Bravo (Finch, Gale, Ferguson, Cooper, White, Beaton, Wade and Nevill) are anything more than part timers with the ball.

Add that on to the fact that Doherty is a significant step down from Ahmed, and Tremain is useless when the ball isn't swinging, and consequently I think they'll struggle to win when they're not chasing.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree with that - and playing on a football field doesn't help them. Etihad is constantly damp and the pitches there aren't the best either.

A couple of guys from the Thunder have made comments about how hard it was to play on ANZ with the pitch and field conditions and how much better the Showground is.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Terrific bowling from the Scorchers. Can't keep Hoggy out of the game.

Heat disappointing - hard to see them defending 117.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Batsmen for the T20 Cup will be fun. 9 or 10 will probably have to fit into 7ish squad places, and then 7 into 5ish. Warner and Smithy are probably certs, but other than that, it looks an open field.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Smith a certainty for T20 WC?

1 Finch - captain
2 Warner - vice.

I'd imagine Watson, Maxwell, Faulkner and M Marsh are fighting it out for the 2/3 all-rounder positions , so depending on how many of them are selected you're looking at Khawaja, Smith, S Marsh and any form batsman from BBL as your 3 and 4 positions.

Who has impressed most with the gloves so far? Ludemann, Haddin, Paine and Wade are probably in the equation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great win by the Thunder last night - they have put together a really good side this year. This contrasts to the Sixers who seem to depend on Haddin and Henriques.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is Smith a certainty for T20 WC?

1 Finch - captain
2 Warner - vice.

I'd imagine Watson, Maxwell, Faulkner and M Marsh are fighting it out for the 2/3 all-rounder positions , so depending on how many of them are selected you're looking at Khawaja, Smith, S Marsh and any form batsman from BBL as your 3 and 4 positions.

Who has impressed most with the gloves so far? Ludemann, Haddin, Paine and Wade are probably in the equation.

I wouldn't be picking Watson - he's a liability with the bat.

I'd bring M Hussey back from retirement before I'd pick SMarsh.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon that if Smithy wants to play T20, Smithy will not only play T20, but take the captaincy off Finch. After all, Finch was only the Captain since Clarke, for all his great aspects, was a decisively average T20 play, Something Steve Cannot be accused of.

For mine I reckon 5 bowlers, 5 batsmen, 4 all - rounders, 1 wicket keeper.

My Batsmen at the Moment would be Warner, Finch, Smith, Bailey and Lynn. Might be a bit light on pure hitters but you've got the consistent short form opening pair, "the captain" and the two form 1st/2nd drop batsmen.

4 all rounders. Haxwell, Mitch Marsh, Twatto and Jimmy F. Mostly pace, Watson covers the openers too, adding on a few hitters.

I'd split my bowlers 2 spin and 3 quicks, with Jimmy F effectively being a genuine 6th bowler. One leggie, either Boyce or Ahmed, as the wristies have the best success in the BBL so far. Then either Lyon or Hoggy, to spin the ball the other way.

Quicks is tougher. Don't know how well Hazelwood is suited, Starc and NCN look potentially like missing the tournament. At this stage, Patto, Behrendoff, and probably a lefty too, but haven't focused enough on the quicks, they're not interesting to watch.

I didn't know Haddin hadn't retired from T20s. If that's the case, I reckon he's ahead, most experienced, and the BBL, has shown that's very important, better batsman than all but Wade, better keeper than all but Paine. Otherwise I'm thinking Wadey is versatile, the incumbent, and a left hander in a team majorly composed of righties.

That'd just be me though. SMarsh, Khawaja and Burns will all get their opportunities to compete for batting spots too. An old head like a White could be selected, or a bolter, Lumb (Sixers Opener?) and the lower order boy from the strikers appeal to me.

Would love for my boys to make it through the Qualifying tournament, think we're destined for your pool if we do.

Having said that, consistently feels weird to refer to Australia as anything but my team when it comes to cricket.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wouldn't be picking Watson - he's a liability with the bat.

I'd bring M Hussey back from retirement before I'd pick SMarsh.

Smarsh actually has a very decent record in T20, has an average over 40 in domestic T20, a Super Rugby over 100 and has been top BBL run-scorer, at least once.

I don't think Hussey will be considered.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Would be crazy to overlook Khawaja. His game has come on in leaps and bounds and the confidence he's gaining in test cricket has already transferred into the BBL.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I might have missed a rule change at some point, but 2 or 3 seasons ago, the rule was that if you bowled 2 consecutive above waist no balls, it was considered dangerous bowling, and were no longer allowed to bowl in that inning, I believe Ben Dunk took advantage of that rule to hit a bunch of 6s.

Consequently, should Feldman not have been removed from the bowling, and his last 2 balls, including 1 free hit, should have been bowled by another bowler?

Either way, Hurricanes finish with 194, should prove too much for Heat to chase, Dan "The Man" Christian, played an excellent half century at a Super Rugby of about 200.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Big total by the Hurricanes - 194 on a good batting pitch. Great innings from Dan Christian 54 off 20 od balls.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great crowd up there at the Gabba. The Heat are making a good fist of chasing down this big total. Suspect they might just fall short, but this is their best performance of the season so far.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Brilliant performances by Christian (batting), Boyce and Lynn in that game. The latter 2 would be firmly in frame for both ODI and T20 internationals.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lynn century off 49 balls senssational to watch. Pity the Heat didn't send Cutting in ahead of Floros - Lynn and Cutting going together might have made the difference.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Lynn will be unlucky if he misses the national T20 team. The Heat on the other hand will be lucky to keep his services next year. Something must be done to get him some support.

Status
Not open for further replies.