• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ben Roberts - Sydney Uni Hooker retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

front row freddy

just got home from training. can anyone tell me if this is true. rumour going round is that ben roberts has had to stop playing because of injury, something about disc trouble. Could have ended up in a wheel chair!! Hope this is wrong. He is a great player, a tough competitor. I have played against him many times over the years.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unfortunately, frf, it is true. Benny experienced pins and needles in his arms during the game against Randwick. An MRI revealed a congenital spinal condition that put him at risk of paralysis so he was forced to retire immediately.

There are few tougher competitors in Sydney club rugby and few better blokes. Last Saturday he presented the jerseys to Uni's First Colts before their very important match against Manly. By all reports it was a very emotional occasion. He is likely to be involved in coaching at the Club next year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sad news. He's been a great player and unlucky not to have played more at representative level. Congratulations on a fine career and good luck for the future.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sad to hear that. On the other hand he is not in a wheelchair and is young enough to turn his life in another direction. All the best to him in his future endevours.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not many of us are born with the talent to play top level rugby. As one born with very little talent, I commiserate with all players who have to retire early, but particularly those are who as talented as this young man apparently is.

He is at least fortunate enough to be playing in an era when a problem like this can be identified before it cripples him for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.