• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Berrick Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I really like Berrick, but there's no spot for him in our 22.
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

This backline doesn't even factor in Horne and Mitchell. When Mitchell returns, I think Deans will either move O'Connor to inside or just keep him on the bench, with the latter option more likely. With Horne in the frame, I think Horne will move to #12 for McCabe. I seriously doubt Deans will bench AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)- he's said in the past that he's been our most consistent back over the past couple of seasons and Deans is a very loyal coach. It appears likely that Deans is going to continue with the 5-2 split on the bench, so I think that leaves Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Horne, Ashley-Cooper, O'Connor and Beale with either Giteau or Phipps and McCabe or Mitchell on the bench. It's a good problem to have.

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
Horne is a natural 13! He reads the game very well both in defnece and attack! Unfortunately he is under utilised in attack! I think Horne can own the 13 for the wallabies for a long time injury preventing! My backline is Genia, cooper, ioane, o'connor, horne, mitchell, beale with barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench!

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
<Quote>
Horne is a natural 13! He reads the game very well both in defnece and attack! Unfortunately he is under utilised in attack! I think Horne can own the 13 for the wallabies for a long time injury preventing! My backline is Genia, cooper, ioane, o'connor, horne, mitchell, beale with barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench!
</Quote>

I think this would be my ideal backline as well, maybe with Horne on the bench for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), depending on form. O'Connor is to good not to be in the starting 15.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
How funny was Elaine in Seinfeld when she was an editor. One thing really bugged her. I wonder what that was?

I seem to recall that lily! I think it was a piece of punctuation that she went a bit nuts about! But I can't really remember which one it was! I'm sure it'll come to me eventually though!

At least abrixon didn't post in sms-speak!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think you can just about guarantee that if horne or barnes will not get enough game time before the rwc to cement a starting spot (except for injuries to others). I would not be surprised if horne doesn't even make the squad considering his injury history.

I would have barnes on the bench along with Mitchell and burgess in most games. If we meet the likes of England in a semi then I would consider dropping Mitchell all together and going with a 5-2 split.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Barnes is a very good player but it would be a huge risk to pick him in the RWC squad after the year he has had.
A couple of knocks and he either cannot be used or he gets gun/tackle shy.
I know that is rough on him but we do have other options.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
for mine,
the guy is the best 12 we have, the best back up 10 we have and a great squad man, so if fit (IF FIT) i think it would be completely stupid for him not to be at least in the squad.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Barnes is a very good player but it would be a huge risk to pick him in the RWC squad after the year he has had.
A couple of knocks and he either cannot be used or he gets gun/tackle shy.
I know that is rough on him but we do have other options.
Yep he is a big risk with his health issues, and as you say a couple of knocks and he is out of the tournament. but I promise you he will not be gun/tackle shy.I wish all the backs selected had his commitment in "D"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep he is a big risk with his health issues, and as you say a couple of knocks and he is out of the tournament. but I promise you he will not be gun/tackle shy.I wish all the backs selected had his commitment in "D"

If anyone becomes injured, they can be replaced

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I am predicting BB in the squad, but with limited game time. Enables us to have a class player at a pinch, limited risk to him, while maximizing play for incumbents.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I want to see Barnes there, but after the way McCabe has been playing im happy for him to stay there (Who i was like wtf is he doing there?)

As long as Barnes plays a game of Rugby almost every week up until the world cup. Proves these issues are gone im happy for him to play for the Wallabies. I personally think he should give the game away if your brain is telling you no, a shame nonetheless but health and family is more important.

A

Anyaussiesidewilldo

I want to see Barnes there, but after the way McCabe has been playing im happy for him to stay there (Who i was like wtf is he doing there?)

As long as Barnes plays a game of Rugby almost every week up until the world cup. Proves these issues are gone im happy for him to play for the Wallabies. I personally think he should give the game away if your brain is telling you no, a shame nonetheless but health and family is more important.

More important? Than winning a World Cup on New Zealand soil?

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
A fit Barnes would only add to the already impressive backline.

Defensivley, there is not much between him and McCabe/Fainga'a (although some of McCabe's tackles were very dominant). It is when the Wallabies win turn over ball and we have to quickly realign for attack that he adds benefit. With Digby on D at 10 we currently lose out on a quality distributor after a turn over for the first phase. If Barnes was there he just has to swap with Diggers and we are back to being threatening again, with 2 strong running centres and awsome firepower out wide with KB (Kurtley Beale), J'OC and Coops.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was a bit anxious when I went I clicked on the Rugby Discussion forum and saw that the last message was from St. Peter. I thought wow - he must have be worse than anybody was letting on.

A shame I thought: he seemed to pull up well after his good game on Saturday.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Honestly don't think Fainga'a is in contention if Barnes, Horne, McCabe are fit. He's got a few too many players ahead of him. I also don't see JOC (James O'Connor) being dropped out of our starting XV anytime soon, he offers a hell of a lot in both attack and defence. His goal kicking is vital but his main asset is his playmaking ability, sure he doesn't have the pace of Mitchell or Ioane, but he seems to know where to be at vital times and has a freakish ability to put players through gaps.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell didn't make the 15, he has alot of work to do and even with 3 or 4 matches under his belt he will be struggling to regain his super form. If by chance he does get back to where he was, I think we could see a straight swap with him and Digby. Bear in mind that by this point our centre combination should be working and thus a midfield reshuffle would just confuse our backs, something we can't afford to do a few weeks out from the RWC. Not only that but it's clear Deans doesn't want JOC (James O'Connor) playing at 12, he's trying to develop a world class winger, and quite frankly he's doing a bloody good job.

If all continues with JOC (James O'Connor)'s development as a winger and he continues to bang it through the posts more often than not I think he will probably become our first choice winger as he offers not only playmaking abilities but also a tactical kicking game. Mitchell and Digby will fight it out for the other wing and that will come down to RWC form, centres will be well and truly determined by that point and more than likely will contain either a McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes/Horne or Barnes/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) combination.

In the end, it will come down to the opposition, Deans has enough warm up games to trial a few combinations and knowing the bloke, he will try everything under the sun.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
sure he doesn't have the pace of Mitchell or Ioane, but he seems to know where to be at vital times and has a freakish ability to put players through gaps.

Really? I'd say JOC (James O'Connor) is easily quicker than Ioane, and at least even with Mitchell.

Status
Not open for further replies.