• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

best schoolboy side

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

straightshooter said:
chief said:
Correct Paul is in the academy. I believe he's also with Sunnybank as well.
Of course he would be with Sunnybank Now Now
Am sure Rob Nowland, being Aussie Schoolboy Coach and sunnybank Prems Coach had something to do with it

I think Rob would have taken extra care to avoid any poaching or perceived poaching of players after what happened circa 2000 with the current Qld Coach at the time.
I don't think it's in Robs nature to take advantage of his current position to feather his nest for next year.
Pauly was I understand always going to go to Sumnnybank.

S

straightshooter

rugbywhisperer said:
straightshooter said:
chief said:
Am sure Rob Nowland, being Aussie Schoolboy Coach and sunnybank Prems Coach had something to do with it

I think Rob would have taken extra care to avoid any poaching or perceived poaching of players after what happened circa 2000 with the current Qld Coach at the time.
I don't think it's in Robs nature to take advantage of his current position to feather his nest for next year.

Of course he's gone over there to be with his friends.
Whispers, he, like every coach will poach, tell porkeys, general bullsh-t, butter 'em up to get prospective quality players into his team and club. May even tell the prosective player's mum she is gorgeous, desirable and should have been a model and the dad that he was unlucky not to have played for Australia, Samoa, Tonga, The Blacks

Jez what happened way back in 2000 when kero lights were on the stands at Ballymore. Mate I have trouble remembering what happened so far back and am surprised that you were of sufficient age to recall detail - think they used to have Radiograms back then :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

R

rugbywhisperer

straightshooter said:
rugbywhisperer said:
straightshooter said:
chief said:

Of course he's gone over there to be with his friends.
Whispers, he, like every coach will poach, tell porkeys, general bullsh-t, butter 'em up to get prospective quality players into his team and club. May even tell the prosective player's mum she is gorgeous, desirable and should have been a model and the dad that he was unlucky not to have played for Australia, Samoa, Tonga, The Blacks

Jez what happened way back in 2000 when kero lights were on the stands at Ballymore. Mate I have trouble remembering what happened so far back and am surprised that you were of sufficient age to recall detail - think they used to have Radiograms back then :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The current Qld coach who was also a coach at a GPS school while at the National champs secured the services of some interstate players for his school - used his influence in an unconscionabe manner - (you know about that term don't you). Caused a great deal of brewhaha.

I doubt Rob did anything at all - he is too much of a stand up 'stratighshooter' to use his position of trust with the Aussie schoolboys to unconscionably influence players to join his club.

T

tranquility

who was the young prop who was playing in the premiere grade final for souths? i thought it was Paul Alo Emile?

there were big wraps on him, so I guess i just joined the dots.

R

rugbyfreak

tranquility said:
who was the young prop who was playing in the premiere grade final for souths? i thought it was Paul Alo Emile?

Dave Faeo?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
rugbyfreak said:
tranquility said:

Dave Faeo?
That's him..man-child. No fear and seems to be a tough customer. I wonder whether he is big enough for the major leagues?

S

straightshooter

spectator said:
rugbyfreak said:
tranquility said:

Dave Faeo?
That's him..man-child. No fear and seems to be a tough customer. I wonder whether he is big enough for the major leagues?

Yeah don't reckon he is big enough - is a very tough young man and may have to beef up but move to Hooker to get his shot - other bloke Paul A-E is huge but has been playing little kiddies so will be interesting, as it always is to see if has same ticker when he gets to play with the big older tough boys

W

waratahs_2010

I'd go with the TSS 1st XV from 2007. They were all class across the paddock and their backline was absolute dynamite. The opposition teams they played against were no slouch either, with Nudgee fielding Joseph Tomane, James O'Connor and Elih Baillie, BSHS fielding Will Tupou, Matt To'omua, David Feao, the Mafi brothers and ACGS had Aidan Toua and Jake Shatz. They absolutely annihilated the field that year and I just think they deserve top spot when it comes to discussing the best schoolboys team in recent times, maybe not ever but recently.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
W 2010, with that kind of intimate knowledge I find it hard to believe you would wear a blue jersey!

You will obviously recall that the TSS backline had Swanepoel (OZ player) at half, Lance (OZ A 12 and captain) at 10, Morahan (now a Qld Red) on one wing, Tapuai (OZ 2 years) at 12, and Stapleton( Cronulla Premier) at 13.

Seriously good team!

W

waratahs_2010

Believe me speckie, I'm blue through and through. I'll pop my head out and nominate the Joey's side of 2004 as the best NSW Schoolboys side. They had Kurtley Beale, Pauliasi Taumoepeau, Nicholas Woolf and Pat McCutcheon who were all Australia Schoolboys players except for Beale. They had a wonderful team and they dismantled their closest rivals Riverview 31-12 if I recall correctly.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The eight selected from BSHS in an Australian Schoolboys touring party is a record for one school, beating the the seven from Joeys in 1990. That vintage yielded Matt Burke and Peter Jorgensen as well as John Isaac (coach of Biarritz), let's hope the BSHS lot throw up a few blokes as good as them.

R

rugbywhisperer

And then the 5 from Epping Boys High in 1971 - 3 consecutive Waratah Shields

C

chief

it was actually 9 from BSHS. One was dropped or injured from the team. Then there was a QLD League player in the BSHS team from this year. That to me pretty much sums BSHS as the leading team, however I still think TSS would be a good comfpetition. It really comes down to BSHS 09 or TSS 07.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Nor were Churchie 06, but neither matched TSS 07. The other measure of excellence is how the national team did against NZ and others. 07 ahead on that score.

D

Doc

rugbyfreak said:
tranquility said:

Dave Faeo?

Dave is without a doubt the fastest and most powerful prop in Australia (if not the world). His gameday weight is 105kg, which obviously puts him a little light. Shame though, he does things no other prop anywhere can do and although his 'technical' game was a real weakness, he has improved alot in that area. Hopefully rugby can hold him, he would be a world class leaguey.

I Hope PAE lives up to the hype in the long term. Not having seen him much apart from some NTS sessions, I hope he isn't just dominating due to his size. The fact qld has signed him and he is big, tends to mean he will be a bust like the 1000 other schoolboys we have signed.

Also, there was the mention of TSS 07 producing 3 wallabies. Could anyone enlighten me of whom? I must be having a mental blank.

Going back a few 97 Nudgee were pretty hot for Brisbane rugby, while most of their 00 side have gone on to at least premier and a bunch to S14.

C

chief

TSS 07 produced Morahan. That's all I can think of at the top of my head. Your a bit eager on Feao he is a good prop but I can't see him making the breakthrough unless he leaves QLD or waits until a few more years. As props are generally not a good investment until their early 20's

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Doc said:
rugbyfreak said:
tranquility said:
Also, there was the mention of TSS 07 producing 3 wallabies. Could anyone enlighten me of whom? I must be having a mental blank.
Clarification required I guess. The post you alluded to was the following:

"My vote though goes with the 2007 TSS team, due mainly to the quality of the teams they played that year. A number of the stars of that comp, were significant contributors to the Qld II team that took out the nationals, as 16 year olds. Three have gone on to Wallaby status, and a few more are on the verge of S14. One is an NRL Premier grader".

I was referencing the quality of the 07 GPS Comp as a measure of the quality of that TSS side. Morahan is the only one from the side who has been selected as a Wallaby. To'omua and O'Connor being the other two from that competition, that year, to have been given a senior Wallaby jersey.

I should further clarify that from that GPS 07 season there are two NRL first graders, Tomane at Storm and TSS boy Stapleton at Cronulla. Tapuai has already played S14, and a number have a chance of making S 14 debuts in 2010.

As for Feao, I like the lad, plenty of mobility and skills andtough as nails but I do wonder whether he is big enough, or as someone suggested, should move to hooker. I understand he played centre only a few years back.

P

playa

spectator said:
Nor were Churchie 06, but neither matched TSS 07. The other measure of excellence is how the national team did against NZ and others. 07 ahead on that score.

um tss won in 06
i dont know if they tied with churchie though??

R

rugbywhisperer

yes TSS won in 2006 and 2007
as for wallabies from the o7 team - i don't recall anyone saying that and Moraghan is the only one so far to pull on the GAG jersey but not in a test - yet. There some who may.

Status
Not open for further replies.