• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1: 29 July @ MCG

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Should be changed to points aggregate, it's much fairer when there's an unbalance of Tests h/a or only 2 matches. It would keep it alive until the end too (no matter how slim).
Looking at last night's score line, there's no way we'll win by more than that so NZ retain anyway

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well haven't been on thread yesterday or last night, but anyway my take on game;
Was a pretty good test, I thought the Wallabies gave it everything and without being harsh, played as well as they could against a pretty good AB perormance?
Positives for Wallabies, think we saw the start of a fairly long career as a starting 10 from Carter, even Mrs Dan commented that she thought he looked like he will be good. Tate went as good if not better then Nic White, and really whole backline were all pretty good. Forwards I thought went ok, perhaps not enough x factor players, and to be fair were trying to bed in a different confrontational style.
For ABs, I thought it was another good perfomance, if in player ratings Scott Barrett gets under 12 out of 10 he probably getting marked harshly, but whole lot were bloody focussed and went about their jobs well, I will sy Papalii was good, but Cane was missed in the scramble defence and around rucks. Backs are turning into a bloody good outfit, Telea has his turn at being star out wide, while Jordan was also good on wing. The midfield is looking bloody solid, Jordie Barrett is so bloody good their, and I think helps Ioane play well at 13, and also works well with RMo who had another good game.
Thought Ref panel were good also, no real upsetting moments etc, in a lot of tests Telea would of been allowed the try from tap, but I kind of like Refs being pedantic on making sure taps are taken properly, and intersting if they do rule that a tap that goes sideways isn't allowed, which is probably how it should be enforced.
Really? Maybe we watched a different game. Wallabies just had 31 points put on them - how is that the Wallabies giving it everything? Unless you think the ABs could have put 60 on

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
SOO probably close second
We won SOO just two years ago. It has passion, intensity and a level of skill execution and fitness these blokes can only dream of. Behind the RWC final it is the premier rugby event in the world IMO.

No comparison.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No way either NZR or Rugby Australia will give up the revenue of an annual home Bled fixture.

I don't think calling TRC match "Bledisloe 1" brings in that many extra punters. I also think that having TRC results feeding directly into Nations Championship standings might elevate the status of TRC fixtures for many people.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Which law says the 10 has to be the place kicker?
None. I didn't say he has to be the kicker to the posts but this kid can't kick to the touch. In 1999 Matt Burke was the kicker to the posts but Larkham was a good tactical kicker and could kick drop-goals

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
You pick Lonergan cause he can kick to the posts. So you have another 10 (Gordon) who doesn't do his main duty. Like the old QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) when he couldn't defend his channel in defence some years ago
Larkham didn't kick at goal either tho

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
None. I didn't say he has to be the kicker to the posts but this kid can't kick to the touch. In 1999 Matt Burke was the kicker to the posts but Larkham was a good tactical kicker and could kick drop-goals
You literally said Carter "isn't doing a ten's main duty" in kicking to the posts if Lonergan takes over. All that's needed is a balanced skillset across the backline, which we didn't really have last night imo - it doesn't all fall on the 10.

Carter showed last night that his kicking is probably serviceable enough (even though he had a bad night) but needs work to be the standard needed at that level, but brought a lot to the game in other areas. Similarly, we saw the impact of not having another tactical kicking option at 12 (Petaia somewhat filled this gap at 13). Having someone like Lonergan who is great off the tee and adding another genuine kicking option somewhere in the backline would bring a lot of balance.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
my brother (who left to go to a titty bar 50 minutes in)
side-eye-no.gif

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I actually like the idea of bringing Lonergen and IFL in at 9 for the Wallabies along with tate and ditching Nic White. IFL was excellent in the second 40 for Aus A vs Tonga (and is a consistently strong bench player in Super). Lonergen's kicking could certainly be used as well.

What real value is Nic White really bringing at this stage? He's gone backwards badly in the last year or two. He's experienced but is a poor leader, gets on the wrong side of the ref, makes himself a target for the opposition and his game doesn't seem to suit the Wallabies. I'm not sure you are losing much by ditching White. Roll with the younger ones.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Really? Maybe we watched a different game. Wallabies just had 31 points put on them - how is that the Wallabies giving it everything? Unless you think the ABs could have put 60 on
We lost 2 key players and captain. And had 2 yellows. Score reflects that.