• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1: 29 July @ MCG

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
If Taniela is out for 6 weeks isn't it a risk to take him to the RWC? He will be severely lacking in match fitness so will have barely played this year.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Taniela is out for 6 weeks isn't it a risk to take him to the RWC? He will be severely lacking in match fitness so will have barely played this year.
Yes, but with AAA and Tom Robertson out and no genuine OS options, out who else do we have?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the wallabies made a lot of poor decisions tonight on and off the field. not taking the 3's on offer, ill judged option taking and the worst one - not taking off Tupou when he was first injured . FFS 41 days to the RWC, you have just seen the other THP taken off in a medicart and you leave on the only remaining class THP to be belted again. as someone posted above a few minor glimmers of hope in a sea of merde.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Schoup or HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)? Holz even?
Schoupp is loose head, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is injured. It will be Pone or Talakai, and Holz or Nonggor after that. I think TT will be fine by the WC if it’s ribs, albeit a bit undercooked, but we do have a few pool games to get his fitness up. Slipper will cover TH as well. Next week could be ugly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Schoupp is loose head, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is injured. It will be Pone or Talakai, and Holz or Nonggor after that. I think TT will be fine by the WC if it’s ribs, albeit a bit undercooked, but we do have a few pool games to get his fitness up. Slipper will cover TH as well. Next week could be ugly.
Fine for 10 minutes until the next injury.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
the wallabies made a lot of poor decisions tonight on and off the field. not taking the 3's on offer, ill judged option taking and the worst one - not taking off Tupou when he was first injured . FFS 41 days to the RWC, you have just seen the other THP taken off in a medicart and you leave on the only remaining class THP to be belted again. as someone posted above a few minor glimmers of hope in a sea of merde.
Have we said this before? 20+ years. Don't be playing with your team in the year of a World Cup. I'm sick of excusing Australian Rugby being a dumb a$$

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Schoupp is loose head, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is injured. It will be Pone or Talakai, and Holz or Nonggor after that. I think TT will be fine by the WC if it’s ribs, albeit a bit undercooked, but we do have a few pool games to get his fitness up. Slipper will cover TH as well. Next week could be ugly.
It'll be Van Nek before Holz

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What are you talking about. I thought he was pretty decent when came on.

Reality is nobody was horrible, we were just outclassed.

In a strange way that was the wallabies best performance of the 3 so far but just shows how far we are off
Uelese turned the ball over with his first two touches. He had one lineout throw that could have been called crooked but wasn't and hus defence near our try line was poor. I am another who hopes this particular experiment is over.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon Van Nek will get a game next week his in the squad. Definitely before Holz

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I've got to say I'm a tad gutted by that result. Not that I thought we were likely to win on recent evidence, but more because I'm not sure that the result reflected the effort that looked evident by the team.

There are a lot of inflection points in that game where things might have turned out with a more positive margin which others have already mentioned.

The issue for this team is that while other teams are likely working on detail and honing elements of their setup, this team feels like it's still trying to work itself out and come up to speed in a number of areas. I just don't see the timelines working for this cycle, which is a shame because I do feel that there is some genuine talent still in the team.

Part of the issue is one of depth where we have too many players who are compromised in some way, be that through lack of game time this year, returning from significant injuries, below historic peak ability due to age, lacking consistency of skill execution under pressure due to experience...etc. There should be other players pushing for the spots, but we tend to have a couple of players a cut above even with the compromises.

There are some positives still to take away. In the first half in particular the ruck work was generally much improved with increased urgency to secure the ball. The physicality was all round much improved on past performances. They were finding space and breaching the NZ defense in places. There was a much better platform in this game than there was in the first two. Even with the scoreline, as a whole the defense looked to be improved.

Not being able to convert those 22 entries into points however is an issue. Attack generally takes more time to embed, but being unable to convert all that energy and effort into something was at the heart of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thoughts

Bell was huge
I'd always thought 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa) was our most important player (not best but important). We're now fucked with him out and Tupou seemingly not match fit enough yet.
Valetini was almost back to his prior form and seemed to be used as a crash baller more this week not whatever he was doing last week.
I thought while T.Hooper might not have got the pay, he was disrupting a shitload of rucks and slowing the ball down.
Frost and Skelton really complement each other and should be our starting locks (I was previously not convinced on Skelton)
Tate struggles with some core 9 skills but is electric in attack which is why i think he is actually suited for the bench 9 (WTF is lonergan doing in the squad too if he's not going to play)
Gordon's kicking was all time bad but I thought he was good when not kicking.
Kerevi looks way underdone and as much as I rate him i think Foketi should get a chance next week.
Kellaway was boring but fine. As a Wright fan I was glad he wasnt playing tonight. You never want him when chasing a score (ie to the 65th)

I thought Barnes did a pretty great job all in all.
Agree with most of this WF.

In my opinion, Rob Valetini was best of the Wallabies, nearly BOG, Angus Bell was excellent as was Allan Ala'alatoa until he went off injured. Tom Hooper put in the best No 7 performance of TRC series for the Wallabies. Others claim he didn't have the speed for a No 7 but he was everywhere even into the 80th minute. Nic Frost put in another sterling performance and Skelton had some notable moments but seemed to miss quite a bit of the action from time to time. I also have some concern about our second row at scrum time. Reportedly, the scrum was the heaviest ever put out by the Wallabies but still got pushed backwards by the ABs. Who isn't pulling (or pushing) their weight?

Tate had a couple of horrible moments but he was overall far superior to Nic White when he came on. Is it time for Lonergan to get a run, if only for his goal kicking and better skill at box kicking?

I was happy with Carter Gordon's efforts, ignoring the poor kicking. Quade did nothing when he came on, so I'd stick with Carter.

We have big problems in the centres and outside backs. Kerevi is not up to scratch and looks to be still suffering from his injuries. I think Foketi is better value in the 12 jersey at this stage. Jordan Petaia just makes too many poor decisions to run the backline at 13. He is best suited to wing and I'd like to see him out there. Len Ikitau is sorely missed at 13.

Andrew Kellaway did not perform any better than Tom Wright at 15.

Before the game I tipped to my family that the ABs would put 50 points on us this game. As it turned out, they didn't, and I suggest they would have been closer to half that had the injuries/yellow cards not affected the Wallabies so severely. So, overall I was pretty happy with most aspects of the game, but I am left wondering about the wisdom of bringing Eddie Jones and his League/English entourage in to oversee our run to the Cup. I fear we are on the brink of having the game destroyed at the Wallaby level again, just as he did in his previous sojourn as Head Coach.

Last edited: