• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He had a few short breaks due to injury which didn't help him settle into his footy and he was also shuffled around a little playing wing and fullback with maybe a game or two at 10.
He had some semi regular flashes of his trademark brilliance running the ball where he would stroll through the oppo's defence and carve off 30-40m but more regularly he looked like he did at the Rebels. A player who thought he had to do everything and too often over played his hand.
He is actually one guy that I would've at least had in the squad regardless of this season's form as I think in the Wallabies squad he would've excelled much like some of the other Reds have once they got away from RG.
He's been playing prem grade and will be working hard in the NRC as it will only take an injury for him to be back in the mix and he would know that.

The problem with JOC (James O'Connor) is that he sems to have lost his outrageous speed.

He was much better at the Rebels than with the Reds.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Where is Speight?

speight.png

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Yet to be convinced about Giteau being in the 23, but assuming your picks I'd much rather To'omua at 10 and then Giteau (if he proves to be worthy) in 12.

Do you not think it wold work better with Giteau at 10 and To'omua at 12? To'omua's extra physicality in that pair would work better at 12 surely.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I do think with the locking duo Cheika has picked,I suspect your scrum maybe a little stronger as I not sure if Skelton remembers to use his weight all the time.

Reactions: gel

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Do you not think it wold work better with Giteau at 10 and To'omua at 12? To'omua's extra physicality in that pair would work better at 12 surely.
I'd suggest Cheika is trying to work out what to do if To'omua can't play important games in the future

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Wether or not it makes sense I think Cheika has picked a bench that can make a difference in the latter part of the game, To'omua can undeniably do the same he did against the Boks, Slipper and Holmes to hold the scrum steady, McCalman should produce something good out of the bench, Skelton hopefully ups his performance with less game time and if nothing else works and we are still loosing with a few points and 10 minutes left, hope for the best and throw Beale in.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wether or not it makes sense I think Cheika has picked a bench that can make a difference in the latter part of the game, To'omua can undeniably do the same he did against the Boks, Slipper and Holmes to hold the scrum steady, McCalman should produce something good out of the bench, Skelton hopefully ups his performance with less game time and if nothing else works and we are still loosing with a few points and 10 minutes left, hope for the best and throw Beale in.

He was on Rugby HQ last night saying he thinks of the bench as finishers, not replacements. There's obviously a bit of balancing there because you need to structure the bench to cover contingencies as well as the game strategy.

I agree with that concept, but I'd single out the halfback as an exception. I think if your scrummie is performing well, leave him out there, at least until the game is decided either way.

So, there are 8 players ID'd for a full 80 minutes. I'd say:

Fardy
Hooper
Pocock
Phipps
Foley
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

And 14 players sharing a game strategically:
Sio/Slipper
Moore/TPN
Kepu/Holmes
Horwill/Skelton
Mumm/McCalman
Giteau/To'omua
Mitchell/Beale

And 1 player subject to requirements:
White

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'd suggest Cheika is trying to work out what to do if To'omua can't play important games in the future

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

That's a good point.

We also don't what the medical advice was that came with his clearance to play e.g. if he gets concussed again he is looking at a lengthy spell. Obviously the longer is he on the field the greater the chance of him getting concussed, so there's no doubt a game time management strategy in place for him.

Take that a step further, these games are usually ultra high intensity for the first 15-20 minutes or so then the players start to feel their legs and it settles down a bit. So there could be a conscious decision to remove him from that stanza of play.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the ABs will slow it down in the first 30, really taking it to us up front, trying to expose Mumm (new to the team and out of the game at this level for so long), Horwill (didn't have a brilliant Soup season), and to an extent Pocock (because he is new to the position).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not impossible. But if I understand Cheika correctly, he thinks that Foley and Cooper are 10's and To'omua and Giteau are 12's. So any variation on that is going to be because of injury enforced change.

Then I must have misread your first post on the subject @Hawko. Pretty sure you said barring injuries, you expect Giteau at 10 and To'omua at 12. I'm just saying I'd have them around the other way.

ATM I'm leaning towards Foley at 10 and To'omua at 12. I don't think Giteau is anywhere near proving his spot in the 23 yet, but if he manages to do that this test or next then To'omua/Giteau might be the solution to the 10/12 question. I will be very surprised though if there are not some vexing questions still hanging over the 10/12 spots after this weekend's game. I just can't see Matt Giteau being able to stop SBW and also shut down his off loads.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But Matt Giteau hasn't been playing 10 for many years and even in his own words, he doesn't think that's his position. He was less than spectacular at 10 for the Brumbies before heading off overseas.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
ATM I'm leaning towards Foley at 10 and To'omua at 12. I don't think Giteau is anywhere near proving his spot in the 23 yet, but if he manages to do that this test or next then To'omua/Giteau might be the solution to the 10/12 question. I will be very surprised though if there are not some vexing questions still hanging over the 10/12 spots after this weekend's game. I just can't see Matt Giteau being able to stop SBW and also shut down his off loads.

I have a feeling that Cheika is going to chop and change all year.

He likes a ball playing 12 especially with Foley at 10.

There is a certain logic that Giteau's experience, good left foot and distribution skills give him an edge over To'omua's defence and direct running but I can see that choice changing depending on the opps.

My guess is that we will play very little rugby in our own half. I expect us to run it back initially, set the line, then kick deep with the defensive line set. The decision to pick both Mitchell (a second 15 style winger with a good boot) & Gits gives us many more clearing options

I also see the AB's back three selections as that they expect it as well and plan to counter

It is going to be a great game with a very pumped up Wobs side

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But Matt Giteau hasn't been playing 10 for many years and even in his own words, he doesn't think that's his position. He was less than spectacular at 10 for the Brumbies before heading off overseas.

I agree Gits best position is 12 but hasn't he primarily been playing 10 for Toulon since Wilkinson left?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

To'omua at 12, definitely. Giteau at 10, not unless an injury requires it. Mat is not a 10 at international level and he knows it. He's too lateral and shuts down the space of those outside him unfortunately.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The side looks serviceable, but it doesn't look full strength either. I like Giteau, but having two relatively small guys in the 10-12 channel against a massive All Black midfield is a bit of a worry... I don't doubt Git's commitment, I just worry about how his body will hold up.

Horwill-Mumm is also an interesting one. Horwill was great against the boks and Mumm was great against the Argies, but they were both facing tired legs, so it's hard to read too much into them.

Having Pocock and Hooper will be facinating though - our ruck work was awful in the first couple games, so fingers crossed they'll clean that up.

Not expecting us to win, but I hope the boys put on a good show all the same.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Horwill and Mumm. What the Cheika?

It's like that movie where the dude wakes up and it's 1960.

Someone needs to smash the rucks. No not everyone does it equally well. Who is the main man? The Brodie Retalick antidote? The AB locks are meaner. That's just fact.

Horwill used to be the go to guy but seemed to go soft over the last 2 years. Mumm's a bit lightweight. Bit more bodies into the contact with that pack I would guess. Fardy needs to be in a bad mood but not give away so many penalties.

Anyway it's an interesting experiment and I look forward to it.

I called a 21 all draw in my local gym's raffle. I get a bottle, protein powder, protein bars and a towel if I win. I'm not sure I want to win, but I'll eat the bars anyway.

just don't throw in the towel;)

Status
Not open for further replies.