• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Wyatt Crockett on family leave.
Tawera Kerr-Barlow recovered and back in squad for Andy Ellis.
Patrick Osborne as wing cover for injured Corey Jane.

Goodbye Cory, goodbye Andy I'd say.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
the kiwis depth at halfback pisses me off, having Smith, Perenara, Kerr-Barlow, Pulu, Weber and Cowan, all up to international standard is ridiculous

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
the kiwis depth at halfback pisses me off, having Smith, Perenara, Kerr-Barlow, Pulu, Weber and Cowan, all up to international standard is ridiculous

Cowan is barely ITM cup level now. Weber is totally untested but looks to have good potential. Kerr-Barlow has been playing well on his comeback apparently. The real change this year is TJP has developed further after the AB coaches gave him some work-ons. He is a now genuine back-up to Smith with little drop-off in quality.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
TKB was going to replace TJP as the second best 9 before his injury and now the latter has set out a new benchmark, will be interestesting to see which one gets the nod behind AS9 and what a dog fight it will be after the RWC

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Patrick Osborne & TKB added to AB squad for Bled 1 & 2, replacing Cory Jane & Andy Ellis, respectively.

ALL BLACKS SQUAD

Hookers: Dane Coles, Hikawera Elliot, Keven Mealamu, Codie Taylor.

Props: Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Nepo Laulala, Joe Moody, Tony Woodcock.

Locks: James Broadhurst, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Jeremy Thrush, Sam Whitelock.

Loose forwards: Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw (capt), Liam Messam, Kieran Read, Matt Todd, Victor Vito.

Halfbacks: Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith.

First five-eighths: Beauden Barrett, Daniel Carter, Colin Slade, Lima Sopoaga.

Midfielders: Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams.

Outside backs: Israel Dagg, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Patrick Osborne, Charles Piutau, Julian Savea, Ben Smith.

The squad will be trimmed to 31 for Bled 1 on Wednesday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...into-all-blacks-squad-for-bledisloe-cup-tests

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
New Zealand is also a pluralist society yet they are able to acknowledge and celebrate the survival and strength of their indigenous people. Why can't Australia do the same, symbolic gestures like this are an important part of the reconciliation process. Think about South Africa's anthem and flag and new Zealand's haka - what does Australiara have?

I know I shoudn't get dragged into this, but the endless carping posts are hard to ignore.

There's nothing wrong with symbolic gestures. They are important. The national apology was important. Flying the aboriginal flag alongside the national flag is important.

But why this gesture? Part of the reason people are resisting it is because so much of the noise is coming from self-important New Zealanders, who just can't understand why people don't want to be precisely like them.

Not wanting an Australian haka isn't the same as not caring about race relations in this country. You have a great deal of cheek to be suggesting it is.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
TKB was going to replace TJP as the second best 9 before his injury and now the latter has set out a new benchmark, will be interestesting to see which one gets the nod behind AS9 and what a dog fight it will be after the RWC

I know Kerr-Barlow is very highly regarded by the AB coaches and they have been watching his recovery closely during his long injury lay off.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SANZAR appeal dismissed according to G&GR twitter...........

Hooper free to play this week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was expecting him to get off on appeal. He should never have been found guilty of striking in the first place. He now has a record.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This is a match thread. It's for discussing the match and nothing else. Including the preamble to the match. There is a thread for that. Use it. Any further post of this type will be deleted.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
But why this gesture? Part of the reason people are resisting it is because so much of the noise is coming from self-important New Zealanders, who just can't understand why people don't want to be precisely like them.

Well not on this site anyway. I am pretty sure I am the only kiwi who has commented, and mine was limited to "Good idea". Though to be fair I have absolutely no idea how this debate is going in the West Island.

Anyway, I am sure gents at Rugby 365 will be going insane when the news of Hooper breaks over there. Will be worth a read.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)

They have pretty great depth across the park, but fortunately can only have 15 on the field at once, just like us (unless one of us is sent off for slapping of course).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
So apparently To'omua is fit for the match.

The fact that both Hooper and To'omua are available to play is a major plus for the wallabies. Anything less than a full strength side wont be good enough against the All Blacks.

Still not confident but slightly less pessimistic about our chances.

For me the team almost picks itself:

1.Sio
2.Moore
3.Kepu
4.Simo
5.Skelton
6.Fardy
7.Pocock
8.Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

The only contentious backline selection is the wing spot left by Horne's injury. It's a home game so we are likely to get a fair bit of possession so I'd like to see us go with an out and out finisher - Speight. Mitchell is a tempting option but I'm still not sure he won't be outclassed by New Zealander's outside backs.

For the pack, I'd go big and physical in the first half. I'd bring Horwill and Hooper on for Skelton and Palu early in the second half. If you wanted to start Pooper I'd move Skelton and Fardy to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.