• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Australia B + Rehab
Slipper
TPN
Holmes
Skelton
Simmons
McMahon
Higgers
Palu
Genia
Cooper
To'omua
Horne
Speight
Tomane
Beale

Does anyone else think the line-up above could beat this week's team?

Close but no. Inferior backrow with McMahon and Higgers, inferior scrumhalf, and inferior 13 and 15. other than that its close.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have to be honest and say I hadn't really expected any particular list of wallabies, but I know that I certainly didn't expect what they have named.

I think the All Blacks have named just about their strongest side.

I'm not entirely convinced that the Wallabies have done the same.

I am not exactly brimming with confidence :(.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have to be honest and say I hadn't really expected any particular list of wallabies, but I know that I certainly didn't expect what they have named.

I think the All Blacks have named just about their strongest side.

I'm not entirely convinced that the Wallabies have done the same.

I am not exactly brimming with confidence :(.

Don't be bummed. If we lose I'm sure we will answer a lot of questions that will lead to our strongest side. So even if we lose we win (in the long run).

rugbyXV

Stan Wickham (3)
So glad that Wallabies didn't name Skelton in the starting team. The amount of trouble he causes in lineout is ridiculous that teams don't even bother marking him and that creates pressure for Simmons and Fardy. Wallabies need to make a decision about Pocock or Hooper, they tried it with Smith and Waugh and look at how that turned out. I favour Pocock as he is a true openside flanker. Whereas, do we really need Hooper running the ball at 7? Maybe give Skelton a go at number 8? Not sure, if he lost weight it would benefit him much more.

Wish they tried out Fardy at lock

4. Simmons
5. Fardy
6. Higginbotham/Palu
7. Pocock
8. McCalman

Hope Simmons is back soon, his lineout jumping is by far the best in the squad.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
SWallabies need to make a decision about Pocock or Hooper, they tried it with Smith and Waugh and look at how that turned out.
I know there's a sort of general unease about Waugh/Smith but how did that turn out? Does anyone have the stats of the games where they played together?

They were good enough as a combination to win a world cup semi final against New Zealand which most people would think was a success I'd reckon.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I know there's a sort of general unease about Waugh/Smith but how did that turn out? Does anyone have the stats of the games where they played together?

They were good enough as a combination to win a world cup semi final against New Zealand which most people would think was a success I'd reckon.

To be fair, Waugh and Smith certainly don't compliment each other as well as Pocock and Hooper. Pocock probably the world best defensive 7 and Hooper one of the world's best attacking 7's.

What Hooper lacks (defensive rucks, pilfers) Pocock is master at. What Pocock lacks (ball running, linking) Hooper is a master at. In fact most people would see Hoopers style as a traditional Aus 6 minus the line-out work.

I think Waugh and Smith were both more all-round players and traditional sevens whereas Hooper and Pocock both have their specialities.

I think they absolutely compliment each other in general play - only downside is the line-out and possibly but most likely unnoticed in the scrum.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i think nz are in trouble, we are going to give them a serve

direct from the pooper

images

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I suppose Cheika's tactic is to have a more mobile forward pack for 35 to 40 mins to run the AB forwards all over the paddock, and then to bring on the big boys after that to batter the kiwis into submission.
If it happens, I'd like that....(if it happens).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I suppose Cheika's tactic is to have a more mobile forward pack for 35 to 40 mins to run the AB forwards all over the paddock, and then to bring on the big boys after that to batter the kiwis into submission.
If it happens, I'd like that..(if it happens).

Hopefully he realises we aren't playing the Boks this week. Even that old cliche is running out of steam.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
In terms of the 10/12 channel, like others have said, I think Foley will go to a wing, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) defending at 12 and Giteau at 10. I imagine they would then be relying on Hooper to protect the 10 channel from having to make too many one on one tackles with his shooting defense, and Pocock lurking behind to clean up any he misses/make

As for the general issue with hiding two sub par defenders, the Tahs have been doing it with Beale and Foley (and Giteau is a better defender than Beale). I know it's Test level and it's different, but at least we're not going in completely blind.
Foley's not a sub par defender.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think you can out mobile the ABs, but you have to be able to compete with them

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
At first glance it looks like there are no powerful crashball runners in the forwards but I think Sio can that job probably better than Palu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Its been a few hours and there hasn't been a complaint from QLD about Gill not getting picked...Something is wrong with the world
Well He would be selected obviously after the legend that is George Smith.. Even Queenslanders know that..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell and Giteau?

It's not a backline that instills the greatest confidence, so prove me wrong.........

Status
Not open for further replies.