• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 8:05pm

Who wins?

• Walabies

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • All Blacks

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
But Kerevi has played two tests there?

Yes but it didn't work so well. I just think he's better at 13 for now. That said I'm not going to be upset if it's the other way around. We need to find a 12 and TK needs a spell, that's really where I'm coming from.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Kerevi / Kurindrani havnt done much
Folau has played 13 most of the year.
Hodge has excelled this year plays 2nd five, and needs to be blooded sooner or later.

Hodge is on my bench. I'd say he'll be in the 23 somewhere regardless. 12. Hodge 13. Folau works for me.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why would you consider DHP for FB on the back of last nites defensive effort, when he does not offer anything on par or better.

If you move Folau out of FB, you open the back field to contestable bombs, minimise launching counter attack, his free roaming ability to inject himself and you can contain him to one side of the field among other disadvantages.

But then again he could be a revelation, but based on what? Super form?

Yeah he had a bit of a Barry last night but so did nearly everyone else and he went pretty well against the Poms, and he's out of position on the wing, 15 is his position. If Folau is in the centres and Mitchell comes in, we've got a pretty safe back 3 happening there.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I thought kerevi looked pretty good against England and deserves another shot at 12.

I find the idea that we need a second "playmaker" to take pressure off foley to be totally bizarre. None of the other countries seem concerned about playing two 10s in order to take the pressure off the first one. Get rid of foley and find someone that can pass the ball competently, kick the ball competently, know when to do which, and tackle a bit. If they can very occasionally run the ball themselves to keep the drift defence honest that is an added bonus.

After that, play two big men in the centres that at least can defend and occasionally cross the ad-line, pick a fullback who can relieve pressure wth the boot and put whatever sexy options you like on the wing.

The days of us thinking that we are the "ball in hand" or "running rugby" merchants need to be well and truly over. We are so far from being able to execute anything remotely sexy it isn't even funny.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
I thought kerevi looked pretty good against England and deserves another shot at 12.

I find the idea that we need a second "playmaker" to take pressure off foley to be totally bizarre. None of the other countries seem concerned about playing two 10s in order to take the pressure off the first one. Get rid of foley and find someone that can pass the ball competently, kick the ball competently, know when to do which, and tackle a bit. If they can very occasionally run the ball themselves to keep the drift defence honest that is an added bonus.

After that, play two big men in the centres that at least can defend and occasionally cross the ad-line, pick a fullback who can relieve pressure wth the boot and put whatever sexy options you like on the wing.

The days of us thinking that we are the "ball in hand" or "running rugby" merchants need to be well and truly over. We are so far from being able to execute anything remotely sexy it isn't even funny.

I think that someone is Quade Cooper. The man may come across as a bit of an idiot off the field, but on he is an absolute genius. Watch this clip:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is there some kind of collective amnesia hovering around Quade Cooper?

From the G&GR match ratings v Uruguay:

Well that was a two sided coin from Quade, some touches of brilliance and then a stupid YC and 6 missed place kicks, if we add everything together it was just an average performance. 5/10

Foley was terrible last night, but I haven't forgotten why the Wallabies persisted with him over Cooper.............

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Giteau and Horne out for the rest of the RC. Many would say that's a good thing, personally I think Horne is a big loss because of his versatility. To'omua is rated as unlikely for next week.

This is what I'd do:

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Mumm
6. Fardy
7. Pocock - C
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Folau
13. Kerevi
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. DHP

16. Moore
17. Sio
18. AA
19. Coleman
20. Hooper
21. Phipps
22. Cooper
23. Hodge

My rationale for 12: one of Folau or Kerevi has to play out of position there, I'd rather it be Folau because he is more experienced.

Kerevi has a whole season at 12 for the reds last year. Plus he played their in 2 games in the England series. He has wayyyyy more experience at 12.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Had to record it as I was in transit; what the fuck did I just watch?

Actually, I know exactly what I just watched. The English football team. A collection of reasonably talented players (on paper at least) who, having never previously met one another, show up 15 minutes before a pivotal international carrying every bad habit their clubs have drilled into them and the intesity of a Sunday arvo charity match.

K

KAOPointman

I can't fathom why people don't want Quade. If Quade put in a game like Foley did last nite....he'd never play again. Foley was absolutely terrible. Not one single thing he did was acceptable. At least with cooper.....he may make some mistakes....but he's a pure opportunity maker....and a pure playmaker. Something we neeeed so bad.
It's EXaCTLlY what the men's sevens team suffered from. Lack of direction from an average playmaker!
I wouldn't be surprised if Quade starts next week, as Foley hasn't showed good form for along time now.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Why would you consider DHP for FB on the back of last nites defensive effort, when he does not offer anything on par or better.

If you move Folau out of FB, you open the back field to contestable bombs, minimise launching counter attack, his free roaming ability to inject himself and you can contain him to one side of the field among other disadvantages.

But then again he could be a revelation, but based on what? Super form?

Harsh on DHP. Can't judge for one bad Test. His other 3 verse England he was solid on attack. He does get caught out in defence often but I put that down to being played out of position on the wing, he has maybe 3 games experience on the wing.

He would be a solid option at fullback. Although won't have Folau's level in the air or counter-attacking but a solid option. He is the Aus form fullback after all.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes but it didn't work so well. I just think he's better at 13 for now. That said I'm not going to be upset if it's the other way around. We need to find a 12 and TK needs a spell, that's really where I'm coming from.

If To'omua is unavailable as well. Then 12 will be Kerevi or Hodge. I put my money on Kerevi since he already has experience there.

I'd rather start Kerevi at 13 too until he develops but when you got an injury crisis then you play the next best man, and if he's also a potential long term 12 option then he's clearly the best man for the job.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I can't fathom why people don't want Quade. If Quade put in a game like Foley did last nite..he'd never play again. Foley was absolutely terrible. Not one single thing he did was acceptable. At least with cooper...he may make some mistakes..but he's a pure opportunity maker..and a pure playmaker. Something we neeeed so bad.
It's EXaCTLlY what the men's sevens team suffered from. Lack of direction from an average playmaker!
I wouldn't be surprised if Quade starts next week, as Foley hasn't showed good form for along time now.

At least 50% of us want Quade.

To be fair, last night he could not have done anything to turn around that performance. At best, reduced the margin by a try or two. Eg. No kick charged down and maybe set-up a try.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
At least with Quade on the field we have a chance at redemption... if he fires he is brilliant. If he doesn't he is shocking. If Foley fires he is shocking.. if he doesn't he is shocking

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah he had a bit of a Barry last night but so did nearly everyone else and he went pretty well against the Poms, and he's out of position on the wing, 15 is his position. If Folau is in the centres and Mitchell comes in, we've got a pretty safe back 3 happening there.

Poey is out of position, but this doesnt impact his play. No, DHP was targeted and rightly so, found out for frail defence which leaked three. Missed tackles is not a poor nite, its poor skills esp as an FB. His only saving grace is that he is a newby.
Hooper had a poor nite, because he is often renown for his consistency and all round skills but was relatively skinned last nite.

And if you mean safe play and playing percentage footy by Foley, who does this all too well, this has not been good for the Wobs.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Reece Hodge played fullback prior to joining the rebels right?
Tall, agile, athletic, safe under the high ball with a good boot.
It seems to me that so many of our incumbents are lacking a key skill in their position description.
Are we selecting the right players in the right positions?

Status
Not open for further replies.