• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can we please stop the fucking comparison to Rennie after 3 matches? Evaluate after the RWC.

Obviously, it's a pretty bad start and there's some really puzzling selections but Dave Rennie also lost 5-43 at home to NZ in his 3rd game.

He also couldn't beat Argentina twice at home in just his 4th and 5th games. (he did beat NZ but hey that was the 4th match in a row, pretty hard for NZ to get up for that one)
I like how you told everyone to stop doing something you then proceed to do.

Also, why? Surely we are allowed to compare. It seems relevant.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No my point was after those results in 2020 we weren't having the discussions around Rennie we are about Eddie.

The comparison is dumb because you're comparing what Rennie did over 3 years to Eddie's 3 matches?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No my point was after those results in 2020 we weren't having the discussions around Rennie we are about Eddie.

The comparison is dumb because you're comparing what Rennie did over 3 years to Eddie's 3 matches?
Sure, add the caveat 'thus far' in front of the comparison.

But it's an obvious comparison to make. Presumably sacking Rennie right before the RWC to get Jones was done because Mclennan anticipated a near instant improvement.

That or he knowingly threw away any chance at being competitive at this RWC just to get EJ (Eddie Jones). Which I think would actually make it an even dumber choice.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Sure, add the caveat 'thus far' in front of the comparison.

But it's an obvious comparison to make. Presumably sacking Rennie right before the RWC to get Jones was done because Mclennan anticipated a near instant improvement.

That or he knowingly threw away any chance at being competitive at this RWC just to get EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones). Which I think would actually make it an even dumber choice.
We lost 9 Test last year, that would get even the Scottish coach fired

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We don't know tbh. If they signed Eddie for post-2023 and let Rennie do the RWC year it can fuck with things.

I did say at the time we signed Eddie, Rennie would deliver a better RWC performance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So many people writing off Carter Gordon goal kicking after 1 game.

If he misses this week - assuming he has the duties then the smallest of Sample sizes become a pattern.
Who else would? I don't think anyone else has ever kicked. Petaia?

Forsyth-Barr has a history for some reason being tricky for kickers from certain spots.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was good to see Eddie back him today. Maybe if Noah was backed the same way a few years ago we would actually have some depth at 10

In regards to Noah… unsure of the timeline but when Rennie figured out australia sucked he banged the table hard for more gitea law players..

I can see when a coach is granted that kind of support going with ya quades/foleys

I suspect had Eddie not replaced Rennie we wouldn’t have gotten the breakout season of Carter. I reckon Noah would be playing this weekend and not Gordon

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I suspect had Eddie not replaced Rennie we wouldn’t have gotten the breakout season of Carter. I reckon Noah would be playing this weekend and not Gordon

I'm not sure that's entirely reasonable. This year is the first time Gordon has provided a compelling reason to get selected.

Rennie clearly went cold on Lolesio last year. I think it is pretty reasonable to think that Cooper and Foley might have featured more this year if Rennie was still the coach but I doubt Lolesio would have.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bang on. I feel like he monsters some starting Prop when he's come off the bench for 2 scrums then they sub the Prop and he's unseen again.

Hope I'm wrong as he does have an abrasiveness we can lack and I think players like Gibbon, Robertson lack as well.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure that's entirely reasonable. This year is the first time Gordon has provided a compelling reason to get selected.

A lot of players were not selected or dropped by Rennie and were heading into 2023 in back of mind they wouldn’t be going to World Cup.

The coaching swap this close to a World Cup meant some players elevated their game (Carter being one of them)

That’s my logic - new coach = new attitude

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently the backrow has been picked because it'll be under a roof and a quick game. Probably another reason Skelton is on the bench. I don't hate these fast games as preparation for the RWC. Bled 1 had ball in play time for 45 minutes, 10 more minutes than the SA v ARG game.

Is that correct?????

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
All this 'what if' stuff about Rennie is pure hyperbole. He had no assistant coaches for a start. I agree that Foley would probably be starting this weekend. Tom Hooper would probably be back home cheering on the Bathurst Bulldogs with his family. We really have no idea how those first 3 tests would have played out. Let's just focus on the now and hope we can improve again.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Quade will just come on if its that dire.
The irony that Quade is a lord and saviour for kicking at goal is not lost on me after the countless seasons I watched him kick under 70%!

In all honesty, we should be expecting more from our backs. The All Blacks have usually 3-4 kickers in their squad; Richie, Barrett x 2 and DMac.

I think the only time we had two or more was with Hodge and Quade or when Carter cams on for Len.