• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Talakai isn't with the squad though... Fa'amausili, Nongorr or both will be in line for Saturday. Hardly fills me with confidence.
II have no idea why Talaki has not come into consideration. Looks OK to me but we are having issues with players not stepping up from Super Rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
People simply can't get their heads around the fact he's not the prototypical Australian style fetcher in the mold of Pockock, Smith, Hooper, McReight, Gill, Wilson, Waugh and every other 7 to pull on a jersey for the last 20 years.
I don't think it's that so much, it's more that if we are going to move to having a big bloke on either flank, why Tom? Why not Rob Leota? Or Langi Gleeson? Or Harry Wilson? Or Pete Samu? It's not a criticism of Tom, but what's his strength over these players?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Another aspect Tom performed many times and effectively was the link between a lineout and the backline. He really had a tremendous game and it's hard to fathom why some here think otherwise.
He missed 5(!) tackles, got no turn overs, no offloads etc. He passed the ball 4 times and ran the ball 5 times for 10m.

So, apart from being a tackle machine that missed every 7th, what did he do?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another aspect Tom performed many times and effectively was the link between a lineout and the backline. He really had a tremendous game and it's hard to fathom why some here think otherwise.
As a fwd I would agree with you, but as a 7 I thought he was OK and worth another run. He can be a great 6 if his improvement continues.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
He missed 5(!) tackles, got no turn overs, no offloads etc. He passed the ball 4 times and ran the ball 5 times for 10m.

That's no way to talk about Tom Hooper, Brumby Runner's love child, .
Wash your mouth out. o_O

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He made 3x as many tackles and had a higher completion rate than his namesake last month...

But his main role seemed to be clearing bodies from rucks, which I thought he did very effectively in the first half to get us quick ball, and putting pressure on opposition ball.

He would've got a pilfer had it not been for the rookie error of trying to get the penalty without lifting the ball...

But overall it was a positive performance, but would like to see a bit more shoulder in those tackles and get some more carries in.

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't think it's that so much, it's more that if we are going to move to having a big bloke on either flank, why Tom? Why not Rob Leota? Or Langi Gleeson? Or Harry Wilson? Or Pete Samu? It's not a criticism of Tom, but what's his strength over these players?
Why is Wilson never brought up as a potential 7 convert. He has the highest workrate amongst the other 8/6's and normally plays better as a support runner rather than a primary ball carrier.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Depending on the player...

a) Size/strength/impact
b) Workrate
c) Lineout option
d) some or all of the above

A couple of those players are probably more skilful though...

I don't think we quite yet have the backrow balance right.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
None of the above are known for their work rate. Tom was there for work rate. He got stuck in. The bloke attempted 35 tackles. Made 30. That is a significant involvement.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
None of the above are known for their work rate. Tom was there for work rate. He got stuck in. The bloke attempted 35 tackles. Made 30. That is a significant involvement.
That's because he's open side flanker and we defended a lot. Frost is a second rower and he attempted 28 (also missed 5). There were 6 Wallabies that made over 15 tackles. Papalli (26 - their OSF, 1 miss) and Taylor (16) were the only Kiwis. For reference the Wallabies made 248 tackles to NZ's 184.

What else did Tom do? I might be sounding critical, but I’m actually just trying to understand.

Last edited:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I will re-iterate my earlier comment, Tom Hooper is a good footballer, give him a run at 6, he doesn't fill the 7 role apart from making a lot of tackles.
The argument for a big 7 was to break tackles, make metres and have dominating tackles. He did none of those, just work hard and made lots of tackles, which is what all our smaller 7's can do, but with more speed, a better chance at a pilfer and better ball skills.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He did none of those, just work hard and made lots of tackles, which is what all our smaller 7's can do, but with more speed, a better chance at a pilfer and better ball skills.

But more physical around the ruck, and our breakdown work seemed to be an improvement from previous games...

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
But more physical around the ruck, and our breakdown work seemed to be an improvement from previous games...
In the first 30 minutes. Everything was an improvement in the first 30, so was that Tom or just the combined effect of everyone having a crack? After that everything went to shit, including - particularly even - the breakdown.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Totally agree. I don’t know how many chances Holloway is going to get to show us he’s not up to it
I don’t mind a change there either, 6 is a different story, we haven’t found a standout contender, bit like hooker. Australia is a production line for quality 7s but we’re sticking with an unproven option who is usually second rower. Just saying we should be testing options there as well.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
While we might debate his strengths etc KOB, Eddie has made it quite clear what he sees in Tom after his SRAu semi-final and last week's test in the 7 jumper. But we'll see if he persists, which imo is very likely, or goes to someone like Gleeson or Leota whom he hasn't seen play in the position or to Samu who isn't even in the squad. I think the odds are short that Tom has the 7 spot for the time being and is in the prime position to take it for the RWC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
While we might debate his strengths etc KOB, Eddie has made it quite clear what he sees in Tom after his SRAu semi-final and last week's test in the 7 jumper. But we'll see if he persists, which imo is very likely, or goes to someone like Gleeson or Leota whom he hasn't seen play in the position or to Samu who isn't even in the squad. I think the odds are short that Tom has the 7 spot for the time being and is in the prime position to take it for the RWC.
Eddie also said Tom wright could be the best fullback in the world. All I'm saying is don't read too much into what he says, he is good at talking his book. I'm good if Tom stays there, I hope he kills it. But killing it means more than making lots of tackles and missing 15% of them in the process and adding some weight at the breakdown.