• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Skelton has been pretty good, but not as busy as Philip or Swain would be IMHO. He has special skills and is a big lump so no doubt he goes. I wouldn’t mind getting a look at the other two.
Neville (for Arnold) yes, Swain no too un-disciplined for this level

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Neville (for Arnold) yes, Swain no too un-disciplined for this level
Im all in on this - but how likely is it we’ll actually see it? Eddie hasn’t given Neville any game time, same goes for other players like Lonegan who you’d want to get a look at given Whites trending downwards.

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
Lots of positives but we won’t go far in the World Cup if our scrum gets destroyed once we take our starters off. Tupou coming back is crucial.

Just always feels like facing the inevitable playing the all blacks, scrum penalty even if the scrum stays up, then give them advantage until they score and if they don’t score come back for the penalty and they end up scoring anyway
Hopefully EJ (Eddie Jones) has seen enough to not consider some of his initial genius ideas like Vunivalu and Nonngorr.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Hard to prove how much was pressure and how much was just poor play.
I don’t think it was that hard to see at all. The Wallabies were playing fast, hard and error free in the first half. All of that was independent of the other team

seems weird to not give any credit when there has been demonstrable improvement throughout the 4 games

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know it’s not all Nonngorr’s fault and options are lacking - but he was getting folded by a club rugby scrum 7 days prior to this test match.

To then be elevated to a test match is pretty much 101 why we don’t currently have the depth to consistently compete and win test matches.

Our scrum weakness at the back end of the game was a real turning point.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The kick chase has been disappointing - not just the box kicks but also the in game kicks by Kerevi/Petaia.

On the box kicks, Tate still sends them too far to be contestable, and as often as not against the ABs they turn that few metres of ground into real counter attacking opportunities. Nic White is a technically better box kicker but overdoes it too much and in the wrong parts of the field.
If you watch the England v Wales game just played, Care's first box kick has ~4+ English players chasing hard to either regather or to hit the ruck to put pressure on Wales. We're just not good enough at this aspect of the game, to the point where they (box kicks) almost become a disadvantage, especially against teams who play well unstructured like the AB's.

In the same Eng v Wal game, first penalty called ~48m out, Smith kicks it. Again we need to be confident to kick our penalties from range.

We handicap ourselves in too many areas of the game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On the box kicks, Tate still sends them too far to be contestable, and as often as not against the ABs they turn that few metres of ground into real counter attacking opportunities. Nic White is a technically better box kicker but overdoes it too much and in the wrong parts of the field.

I'll have to watch again because I thought Tate's were bang on and we actually reclaimed a few. White's were a little more inaccurate this game

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If you watch the England v Wales game just played, Care's first box kick has ~4+ English players chasing hard to either regather or to hit the ruck to put pressure on Wales. We're just not good enough at this aspect of the game, to the point where they (box kicks) almost become a disadvantage, especially against teams who play well unstructured like the AB's.

In the same Eng v Wal game, first penalty called ~48m out, Smith kicks it. Again we need to be confident to kick our penalties from range.

We handicap ourselves in too many areas of the game.
At the same time our first try came because we knocked back a lockable penalty and went to the lineout.

There is definite merit in keeping the scoreboard ticking over but I thought that play helped set up our whole first half in terms of the momentum it created.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This one was sent to me privately, I haven’t checked it but I’m just going to put it up here:

Law 8.21 Penalty Kick: The kick must be taken within 60 seconds (playing time) from the time the team indicated their intention to do so, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed, and a scrum is awarded.

77:36 penalty awarded
77:54 decision to kick for goal
79:05 ball kicked

No grey area in the laws here.

Yet Wallabies get pinged on the attack because we took too long in a lineout??

Edit: add to that the Foley one last year which also wasn’t officially on a timer
They also had a line out about 3 seconds late, They were about to throw and had a call change and there was a quick consultation before throwing.

How do we not have a "Shot clock", "Throw clock" or "Scrum clock"?

It seems unbelievable that games are broadcast without the supporters knowing how long left, I think it would add to the excitement when you only have 2 seconds left on the clock.

People complain about laws of the game that cannot be understood by supporters, timers are about the easiest concept for a fan to understand.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The silver lining this test season has been emergence and selection of some fine young players, some of whom have either stepped up or confirmed their billing.

Bell, Gordon, Kellaway, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Hooper, Petaia, Faesler, McReight are all blokes you can build a test team around.
The Gold Lining is that they should be pretty good by 2027 with another 50 tests and 60 Super Rugby games behind them.

If they can keep their skills at the same level or improve it also mean any new players will have to be awesome to get a chance.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
The Gold Lining is that they should be pretty good by 2027 with another 50 tests and 60 Super Rugby games behind them.

If they can keep their skills at the same level or improve it also mean any new players will have to be awesome to get a chance.
Gotta keep looking to the future otherwise what else do we have

Reactions: TSR

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
A much improved performance again. My positive thoughts:

-Bell is a legit freak. We need to keep him on the field to be a chance at the WC. He is a cheat code.
- Poreki his usual pretty reliable self while on
- Pone surprised me. He had a great game in the loose. Bullied the fuck out of some NZ boys. Seemed to do pretty well in the scrum until he tired / the injury got to him. Booked his ticket to the WC
- Frost is building into a quality test lock. Still needs a bit more physicality, but that will come. Good Line out work. Seems solid at the scrum. Big engine and pretty handy with an open padock infront of him.
- Arnold I think is solid as well. He isn't doing anything wrong and I reckon he is performing his core duties well. Still finding his feet at test level, and I think he will improve each game as he gets more comfortable.
- Hooper. Great game. A genuine 6. I was critical of him at 7 and his physicality in previous games, but he stepped up in this test. Was it him finding his feet or was it him playing in a position he is more comfortable in? Who knows. Also booked his ticket to the WC and probably a starting position.
- McReight was excellent. Did everything you want from a 7. His speed and ability at the ruck make the opposition change their tactics and keep them on their toes. Has he finally surpassed M Hooper? I have a feeling Eddie will only take one of the 2... surely Fraser is in the driver's seat after that performance. I've mentioned his support play before as well. He was there for almost every line break. Huge engine much like T Hopper. they work well together.
- Valetini has another strong game. Just doing what he does. Strong carries in traffic, solid defense, shifting bodies. Rounds out a very good backrow.

- Tate had a great game. The speed of his pass makes a massive difference. Couple that with his ball in hand threat and it makes it tough for defenses. Box kicking seems to be improving. He should have scored that try though. Great shift as skipper.
- Gordon was again impressive. Improving each game. He will end up a very well rounded test 10. Awesome to see our 10 putting some bigger forwards on their arses. I thought he controlled the game well. A couple of mistakes but that's to be expected.
- Koro was solid. Needs to nail his defensive reads and rushes. Rarely puts a foot wrong. Definitely should have let that kick bounce.
- I thought Kerevi had a good game he was very very involved. A heap of carries into heavy traffic. He is a marked man... people seem to expect him to make a break every thime he touches the ball which is unrealistic when you're soo heavily marked. Mixing up his game nicely. I thought he ball played really well and was often in at first receiver on phase play. Took a heap of pressure off Carter. Not looking as agile in defense and made a couple average reads. Still our best 12.
- Petaia was strong. Also building each game. I do think 13 is his best position. Did a heap of grunt work into heavy traffic as well as some solid defense. Normally has a better boot.
- Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) seems to be very comfortable at intl level now. Another threat in our backline. A lock on the wing.
- Kellaway put in a solid shift. Nothing wrong with him. I did notice he looks to have picked up his old pace again. A few times during that match he was lightning fast. He has looked a little slower the last season or so. He made good decisions at the back. As someone said he is a smart player, runs some great lines. I think he will be back to his best during the WC and am happy for him to be the starting 15. Petaia probably the only person to pressure him but I like Kellaway's temperament better for test matches.

I missed about 20 mins of the 2nd half so can't comment too much on most of the reserves.

Faessler was very good. Stepped right up to the plate and barely put a foot wrong. Should be in the match day 23.

Skelton looked to have some good involvements. I like him and Frost to start.

The rest I didn't really see much of.

As a team they are clearly getting more comfortable with the game plan etc. Good improvements game to game. I am really hoping they are being flogged each week so it explains our fade out of games after about 30 mins.

I thinks it is slowly coming together. They need to improve the kicking game a bit and just generally be smarter. Silly mistakes still killing us.

When we get Tupou and Ikitau back we will be at full strength. I'm happy with Thor and Pone at the TH options after the loss of AAA. Both offer real threats in the loose as well. Keep the pressure on for 80.

It has been a long time since we have had this many genuine attacking threats in the backline. 11-14 are all damaging runners. Gordon and QC (Quade Cooper) should just be able to play puppetmaster with Gordon also being a solid threat. Then will Kellaway at the back running good lines as well as being a top support runner they should do some real damage.

There is still a lot of improvement from this group both as individuals and as a team. I think they could have quite a high ceiling. Bodes well for the WC however I think it could be 6 - 12 months too early for this group. Hope I'm wrong.

Also I had to check if I had my delayed stream set to a higher play rate about 15 mins into the game. It was being played at a breakneck pace. By the Wallabies. NZ tried to match it and were forcing everything. They couldn't get into their flow till the 2nd half.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I was half watching on my phone and thought Gordon nailed a 50-22 at some point but then it looked like he gave them a free kick or something? What happens? Did we back talk?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A much improved performance again. My positive thoughts:

-Bell is a legit freak. We need to keep him on the field to be a chance at the WC. He is a cheat code.
- Poreki his usual pretty reliable self while on
- Pone surprised me. He had a great game in the loose. Bullied the fuck out of some NZ boys. Seemed to do pretty well in the scrum until he tired / the injury got to him. Booked his ticket to the WC
- Frost is building into a quality test lock. Still needs a bit more physicality, but that will come. Good Line out work. Seems solid at the scrum. Big engine and pretty handy with an open padock infront of him.
- Arnold I think is solid as well. He isn't doing anything wrong and I reckon he is performing his core duties well. Still finding his feet at test level, and I think he will improve each game as he gets more comfortable.
- Hooper. Great game. A genuine 6. I was critical of him at 7 and his physicality in previous games, but he stepped up in this test. Was it him finding his feet or was it him playing in a position he is more comfortable in? Who knows. Also booked his ticket to the WC and probably a starting position.
- McReight was excellent. Did everything you want from a 7. His speed and ability at the ruck make the opposition change their tactics and keep them on their toes. Has he finally surpassed M Hooper? I have a feeling Eddie will only take one of the 2... surely Fraser is in the driver's seat after that performance. I've mentioned his support play before as well. He was there for almost every line break. Huge engine much like T Hopper. they work well together.
- Valetini has another strong game. Just doing what he does. Strong carries in traffic, solid defense, shifting bodies. Rounds out a very good backrow.

- Tate had a great game. The speed of his pass makes a massive difference. Couple that with his ball in hand threat and it makes it tough for defenses. Box kicking seems to be improving. He should have scored that try though. Great shift as skipper.
- Gordon was again impressive. Improving each game. He will end up a very well rounded test 10. Awesome to see our 10 putting some bigger forwards on their arses. I thought he controlled the game well. A couple of mistakes but that's to be expected.
- Koro was solid. Needs to nail his defensive reads and rushes. Rarely puts a foot wrong. Definitely should have let that kick bounce.
- I thought Kerevi had a good game he was very very involved. A heap of carries into heavy traffic. He is a marked man... people seem to expect him to make a break every thime he touches the ball which is unrealistic when you're soo heavily marked. Mixing up his game nicely. I thought he ball played really well and was often in at first receiver on phase play. Took a heap of pressure off Carter. Not looking as agile in defense and made a couple average reads. Still our best 12.
- Petaia was strong. Also building each game. I do think 13 is his best position. Did a heap of grunt work into heavy traffic as well as some solid defense. Normally has a better boot.
- Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) seems to be very comfortable at intl level now. Another threat in our backline. A lock on the wing.
- Kellaway put in a solid shift. Nothing wrong with him. I did notice he looks to have picked up his old pace again. A few times during that match he was lightning fast. He has looked a little slower the last season or so. He made good decisions at the back. As someone said he is a smart player, runs some great lines. I think he will be back to his best during the WC and am happy for him to be the starting 15. Petaia probably the only person to pressure him but I like Kellaway's temperament better for test matches.

I missed about 20 mins of the 2nd half so can't comment too much on most of the reserves.

Faessler was very good. Stepped right up to the plate and barely put a foot wrong. Should be in the match day 23.

Skelton looked to have some good involvements. I like him and Frost to start.

The rest I didn't really see much of.

As a team they are clearly getting more comfortable with the game plan etc. Good improvements game to game. I am really hoping they are being flogged each week so it explains our fade out of games after about 30 mins.

I thinks it is slowly coming together. They need to improve the kicking game a bit and just generally be smarter. Silly mistakes still killing us.

When we get Tupou and Ikitau back we will be at full strength. I'm happy with Thor and Pone at the TH options after the loss of AAA. Both offer real threats in the loose as well. Keep the pressure on for 80.

It has been a long time since we have had this many genuine attacking threats in the backline. 11-14 are all damaging runners. Gordon and QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) should just be able to play puppetmaster with Gordon also being a solid threat. Then will Kellaway at the back running good lines as well as being a top support runner they should do some real damage.

There is still a lot of improvement from this group both as individuals and as a team. I think they could have quite a high ceiling. Bodes well for the WC however I think it could be 6 - 12 months too early for this group. Hope I'm wrong.

Also I had to check if I had my delayed stream set to a higher play rate about 15 mins into the game. It was being played at a breakneck pace. By the Wallabies. NZ tried to match it and were forcing everything. They couldn't get into their flow till the 2nd half.
Great summary

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Scroteland just beat France. Never know, if this team continues its gradual upwards trajectory Eddie might not even go into the RWC 0/5.