• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
IMO if Petaia comes in it is straight into the side & Paisami drops out of the 23. Tough on Paisami, but it’s Test football. I’d only want that if Petaia is 100%.

Lolesio gives us good balance on the bench and allows us to play the same structure if either JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua go down. Given the circumstances of the game I think it’s perfectly reasonable that Rennie kept JOC (James O'Connor) & To'omua on the field for 88 minutes, but I don’t believe it automatically follows that he isn’t confident to throw Lolesio in it he needs to.

As Adam pointed out Uelese was noticeably slow to get off the ground several times despite playing relatively low minutes. I noticed this when the Wallabies were under the pump defending their line. Not sure if maybe he had an injury - but I’d like to know what the go was there before talking about promoting him to the starting side. The kid has great potentially but his lack of apparent urgency is a big concern for mine.

The two guys under pressure IMO are Scott Sio & Rob Simmons. Sio has been stuggling all year and seemed to struggle again - but I’ll leave it to the coaching staff how much was his fault. I’ve defended Simmons for a long time but his penalty on the weekend was dumb, needless and could have easily lost the game. Sometimes coaches need to kick guys hard in the arse for those sort of plays.

For both Simmons & Sio though there has to be some question as the whether the next guy down is a better option at this time.

I’d still be happy to see the same team, but if they are going to make changes those are the only ones I’d be thinking about.

Uelese gets a knee to the head tackling a bloke in front of our posts, probably should of had an HIA, certainly would of explained him being on his knees!

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Watching the NZ rugby show Breakdown tonight (I think it airs Monday or Tuesday in NZ), one of the interesting takeaways was Grant Fox mentioning there were a number of injury concerns that will influence selections this week. He declined to name them specifically but there were replays of Mounga looking worse for wear during the broadcast which I did not pick up on during the game. The Barretts are the other ones which have been mentioned in the NZ press.

The other interesting thing for me ws how unedifying John Plumtree's press conference was about the refereeing (
). I have some sympathy for the Kiwi's past reactions to Cheika's constant whining about match officials in light of this press conference as it just isn't a good look. Whilst the late Mounga hits may have warranted sanction, to claim that they were the most influential non-decisions in the game (as Plumtree did) beggars belief in light of the non-decisions that cost the Wallabies points in the game (Ioane's foot on sideline, Bridges forward pass to Smith and the hands in the ruck after Hodges kick for goal).

Anyway Im looking forward to Sunday and Sydney's game on the 31st is now live in the context of the Bledisloe which is pretty bloody exciting.

footy1>31

Charlie Fox (21)
Talking about off-ball marginal plays Slipper was held back after trying to unbind from the maul before A Smiths try, guaranteed that would be noticed in review and will be penalised if tried again. The whinging is awesome though. Finally the ABs are vulnerable!!

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
As an AB fan this AB coaching staff/selection is looking worse and worse every day.

Plumtree banged on about wanting physical loosies so then he starts 2 opensides in his loose forward trio.

Then he cries to the media.

Fox trying to defend his selections by saying wingers don't really change the results in tests - idiotic stuff.

This is becoming a train wreck.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Difference in ruck interpretations under AFG this week will be interesting. Having seen only highlights of both competitions it seemed there were a couple of things Williams did differently to our refs but hard to tell from highlights only.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As an AB fan this AB coaching staff/selection is looking worse and worse every day.

Plumtree banged on about wanting physical loosies so then he starts 2 opensides in his loose forward trio.

Fox trying to defend his selections by saying wingers don't really change the results in tests - idiotic stuff.

This is classic potplant prop thinking. The difference between having a strike winger on the wing or a plodder is the difference between five points being scored or not. It's exactly as important as every other position.

I might have played wing.....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Watching the NZ rugby show Breakdown tonight (I think it airs Monday or Tuesday in NZ), one of the interesting takeaways was Grant Fox mentioning there were a number of injury concerns that will influence selections this week. He declined to name them specifically but there were replays of Mounga looking worse for wear during the broadcast which I did not pick up on during the game. The Barretts are the other ones which have been mentioned in the NZ press.

read somewhere on FB the two key concerns are Whitelock and Barrett. Mo’unga fine.

For me Wilson tackle at ~24:20 was clearly late, clearly a penalty and clearly non-card. To Mounga’s credit he was quick to his feet not showing he was fine. He had already taken a heavy double tackle with Hooper over the top where he was dumped hard but fair.

To'omua hit him hard at least once.

Isn’t that rugby? I’d expect more of the same unless the ABs find better protection for him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I might have played wing...

giphy.gif

zer0

John Thornett (49)

I, for one, am clinging to the completely unfounded crackpot theory that this is all a cunning plan to prevent Steady Eddie from rolling out another spend-four-years-plotting-one-match malarkey from the last RWC. Foster is merely the sacrificial pawn to protect Robertson before he is unleashed in 2022 to Cantab Death Star everyone into oblivion and breakdance on the ashes.

Also, lest we forget, Rennie is the coach who made Foster look like a 42-carat plonker by instantly winning with the Chufs after years of 'we're still mathematically in with a chance!'. Robertson is the coach who decisively put an end to Rennie's Chufs. The cycle will repeat. Rennie embarrasses Foster. Robertson ends Rennie. As George Lucas says, "it's like poetry, it rhymes".

At least, this is all what I tell myself as I cry myself to sleep every night clinging to my life-sized Richie waifu pillow.

EDIT: Also, with one match played, we're just about half way through Foster's contract. Yay!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
read somewhere on FB the two key concerns are Whitelock and Barrett. Mo’unga fine.

For me Wilson tackle at ~24:20 was clearly late, clearly a penalty and clearly non-card. To Mounga’s credit he was quick to his feet not showing he was fine. He had already taken a heavy double tackle with Hooper over the top where he was dumped hard but fair.

To'omua hit him hard at least once.

Isn’t that rugby? I’d expect more of the same unless the ABs find better protection for him.
He was also demolished by Paisami at one point.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
According to the podcast Uelese made 10 tackles in his short stint on the paddock. Third highest for the side overall.
Where are the stats for the game?

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Daugunu also came in with a clearly late/deliberate shoulder charge on Mo'unga.

EDIT: Okay so seems you can't jump to the timestamp with an embedded video? Anyway, it's at 2:17.