• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don’t think they need a 6/2 split. Valentini was hardly used.
4 of the back 5 are 80 minute players, and that may be unfair on Wilson.

Reactions: TSR

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
First test with new combinations and new coach - I would be hesitant to make changes, although I wouldn't be upset to see FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Uelese swapped after that performance.

If Petaia is fit it would be very tempting to throw him into the starting side at the expense of Paisami, although that wouldn't be fair on him.

I'd definitely keep the same bench, but bring some players on sooner and hopefully Lolesio can get some game time, bring some spark into that 10/12 channel.

If we see a repeat of the issues from last week (poor lineout and breakdown retention, lateral backline attack) then I would expect a number of changes for the following game...

Forget about fairness. This is a rugby test, where you put your best players on the field. If Petaia is fit, then he's the man. I think even Paisami would agree with that sentiment.
If you want to break the AB line with the wingers the Wallabies have outside you , then there is only the one option.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
10. B.Barrett | 15. J.Barrett | 11. Clarke | 14. Bridge | 23. Jordan/Ioane

This one. J Barret can be your emergency 10 option. BB is clearly your best 10 and the BB/Mounga axis failed last year. J Barret is certainly not a winger.

Maybe Foster was just keeping his powder dry. Seeing what we could come with against a very conservative (shit) All Blacks side. At Eden park he pulls out all the in form big guns - Akira, Sotutu, Clarke and Reece on the wings, Barret's in their rightful spots.

Bam - score a billion points and he's a genius.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I would very much like to see Foster make those changes ^^^ but I cannot see him doing it - unfortunately he will stick with his 10/15 axis. The only changes I think he will make in the backs is Beaudy to 15, ALB to 13 and maybe Clarke to 11.

The only change I see him making in the forwards is perhaps Sotutu 8 Ardie 6. Although if Ardie is called away on baby duty then that opens up the door for Sotutu 8 and then a new loosie starting/on the bench (Akira/Papalii).

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Forget about fairness. This is a rugby test, where you put your best players on the field. If Petaia is fit, then he's the man. I think even Paisami would agree with that sentiment.
If you want to break the AB line with the wingers the Wallabies have outside you , then there is only the one option.

I am coming around to this view. I think it's important to draw a distinction between the prospect of dropping an incumbent for perceived underperformance (To'omua, Fainga'a) and bringing the incumbent back in from injury (Petaia, DHP).

It would be poor coaching to chop and change the XV you've chosen after one match (particularly when they performed so well) but restoring an injured player to the position they temporarily vacated is justifiable.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am coming around to this view. I think it's important to draw a distinction between the prospect of dropping an incumbent for perceived underperformance (To'omua, Fainga'a) and bringing the incumbent back in from injury (Petaia, DHP).

Just an FYI FF (Folau Fainga'a) isn't really the incumbent. Uelese, not FF (Folau Fainga'a), was on the bench for Latu in the QF last year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) has played 13 tests and Uelese 10.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) does not have a seasoned career to rely on to excuse that 'mare of a game. He might keep his spot for the sake of continuity but it's not because he is a proven performer.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know I'm a Rebels supporter and thus biased but Uelese, barring Latu's return, is our way forward. FF (Folau Fainga'a) has benefited from playing in a Brumbies front row surrounded by hundreds of Wallaby caps. Uelese held his own and then some with Orr and Ainsley. Uelese is better around the park and ran a better lineout in 2020. I don't know what's with his fitness that people referred to last game, maybe he was winded or something because he was getting around fine for 70 minutes for the Rebels.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm hoping to test a theory for the next game. My theory is that every time the Wallabies beat the ABs with their attacking game (they didn't quite do that this game, but might be close enough), the ABs revert to a kicking game for the next one and try to pin the Wallabies down in their own half, and either steal line-outs or feed off Wallaby mistakes.

If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Beauden Barrett into 5/8th for this one, with his brother moving into fullback.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Just an FYI FF (Folau Fainga'a) isn't really the incumbent. Uelese, not FF (Folau Fainga'a), was on the bench for Latu in the QF last year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) has played 13 tests and Uelese 10.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) does not have a seasoned career to rely on to excuse that 'mare of a game. He might keep his spot for the sake of continuity but it's not because he is a proven performer.

He was selected as first choice for the test, making him the current incumbent. Paisami and Banks were only selected because the first choice was not available due to injury.

Replacing Fainga'a would require the reversal of a selection decision; replacing Paisami or Banks would not. That is a meaningful distinction.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I would very much like to see Foster make those changes ^^^ but I cannot see him doing it - unfortunately he will stick with his 10/15 axis. The only changes I think he will make in the backs is Beaudy to 15, ALB to 13 and maybe Clarke to 11.

The only change I see him making in the forwards is perhaps Sotutu 8 Ardie 6. Although if Ardie is called away on baby duty then that opens up the door for Sotutu 8 and then a new loosie starting/on the bench (Akira/Papalii).

Does Rieko desserve to be dropped for the sloppy finish?

He is still electric and was the best 13 on display in Super Rugby A. He will never do that again.

I think they should persist.

Caleb to 14 and Jordie to bench.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
BB is clearly your best 10

I expected more reasoned rugby knowledge from a seasoned G&G veteran. 10 isn't even BB's best position. He hasn't been the best 10 in the country since 2016. Even then Cruden was arguably the better option due to his superior game-management.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Does Rieko desserve to be dropped for the sloppy finish?

He is still electric and was the best 13 on display in Super Rugby A. He will never do that again.

I think they should persist.

Caleb to 14 and Jordie to bench.

Not sure he will be dropped for sloppy finish, but could be for running out on defence and creating the try for Korobete! Though I not sure he will get changed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I expected more reasoned rugby knowledge from a seasoned G&G veteran. 10 isn't even BB's best position. He hasn't been the best 10 in the country since 2016. Even then Cruden was arguably the better option due to his superior game-management.

lol

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not sure he will be dropped for sloppy finish, but could be for running out on defence and creating the try for Korobete! Though I not sure he will get changed.
12. ALB 13. Goodhue makes a lot more sense to me. But supposedly ALB isn't in great form and Goodhue has been playing 12?

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)

Yeah, nah. Beaudy was far better for the Blues at 10 than he was at 15. I used to be in the Beaudy at 15 camp but it's pretty obvious he doesn't have the same wheels he had 2 or 3 years ago.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Most NZ's really don't rate BB much at 10.

I think his acceleration, speed, chip n chase, and cross-field kicks are a deadly combo at 10 and unlike any other 10 going round. He would score a try on his acceleration alone most games. These attributes seem to be really under-rated.

He won world player of the year both years at 10. Mo'unga has never looked great at test level.

I thought the argument for BB V Mo would be more 50/50, seems more like 10/90%... crazy in my opinion.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I think his acceleration, speed, chip n chase, and cross-field kicks are a deadly combo at 10 and unlike any other 10 going round. He would score a try on his acceleration alone most games. These attributes seem to be really under-rated.

He won world player of the year both years at 10. Mo'unga has never looked great at test level.

I thought the argument for BB V Mo would be more 50/50, seems more like 10/90%. crazy in my opinion.

Agree Seb, I still waiting for Mounga to show more at test level. And I would doubt 10/90 split, mate don't take what you read on rugby forums as being from average kiwi (or Aus) rugby people.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

I thought the argument for BB V Mo would be more 50/50, seems more like 10/90%. crazy in my opinion.

Mo'unga has been mismanaged at test level, as with All Black's dual-pivot system under Hansen & Foster, Barrett spends too much time at first receiver instead of playing the natural fullback role, crowding Mo'unga's space and inhibiting him from playing his natural game. It's no coincidence Mo'unga is clearly the best first-five in the world under the superior coaching of Scott Robertson.