• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The thing missing this week: composure. At least two tries from the counter-attack following brain farts and a lack of positional awareness to regroup in defence.

When we ran the ball straight and hard, we looked dangerous. On the few occasions where we were patient and held possession, we'd end up making inroads.

As usual, the box kick and midfield up-and-under on back foot ball made the team's job so much harder. It's such a low-yield play - it's a much leaner chance of retaining possession, and when the opposition (almost) invariably wins it, they take the ball at speed into a defensive line that's actively re-aligning. All for minimal territorial advantage. If we're going to put up the white flag, surely we're better off putting the back three under pressure with a deep, flat kick.
Box kick was fine for me. It was the aimless wipers kicks out to the open side that put us under pressure.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think we will find out imminently who two O/S players are

I'm not sure there is much point in bringing them back at anymore, as far as I'm aware the earliest they could play is the last Bledisloe, and that's assuming they get away from their clubs in time to get through quarantine and train with the side. With the full rugby championship off I'd be focussing on the local players, give Hosea or Blyth a chance at Lock.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not getting the hate for wright. I thought he did ok.
Wouldn’t argue if samu came back but I don’t think 6,7,8 is what lost that for us today.

I think it's fair to say that if Rennie is consistent, Wright won't be back in the team after turning over the ball multiple times which included being stripped by Perenara..........

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not getting the hate for wright. I thought he did ok.
Wouldn’t argue if samu came back but I don’t think 6,7,8 is what lost that for us today.

No. It was well and truely a team effort on that front. I'm curious to see the final stats for this game.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
ABs were also fairly pedestrian for last 15mins. To be fair the game was won but it definitely didn’t feel like the ABs of old who were about to put 50 on us, well it felt like that with about 30mins to go. But my point being it didn’t end up like that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It would be crazy to throw the bath water out after that game.

Ok I now see why Noah on bench good idea if To’omua goes down...

Wallabies should be filthy about scoreline as they are better then that on what we have seen

Hanigan mark 2 good so the doubters about his selection can now shut up and admit they were wrong. Gees Wilson off with Wright did not work. Samu on the bench please

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Aus lost all shape without Thor and To'omua.

AB's content to not challenge any bombs. The fuck, Jordie.

Crossword Frizzle finally fired up a bit.

Pat T was utterly knackered after 60 and out on his feet. Should've been subbed then.
ps,​
Caleb+Clarke+Blues+Headshots+Session+IHgrAh_QFmOl.jpg

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
The thing missing this week: composure. At least two tries from the counter-attack following brain farts and a lack of positional awareness to regroup in defence.

When we ran the ball straight and hard, we looked dangerous. On the few occasions where we were patient and held possession, we'd end up making inroads.

As usual, the box kick and midfield up-and-under on back foot ball made the team's job so much harder. It's such a low-yield play - it's a much leaner chance of retaining possession, and when the opposition (almost) invariably wins it, they take the ball at speed into a defensive line that's actively re-aligning. All for minimal territorial advantage. If we're going to put up the white flag, surely we're better off putting the back three under pressure with a deep, flat kick.

Not just the bombs though, just pointless kicks in general. Especially against the Ab's. The ball should go out or long and pressured. We fed their clearly superior back 3 the ball then decided chasing and tackling wasn't on the cards today.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
if possible, Kerevi at 12, paisami was hopeless, if not, TK back to 13, To'omua is the only defender in the oz backs it seems, can't just depend on him, personally wanna see a better lock, a rodda? and a stronger 8, Wilson to 6.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Banks has to go. Just isn’t offering anything.

The handling was horrific, the conditions were perfect and compared to last week how does this happen?

Seems like the usual story: lost touch on the scoreboard, chasing the game with high risk passing. Handling is always bound to suffer.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting that arguably our 3 best players were 6, 7 & 8 yet we lost so much ball.
The no.1 way of retaining the ball is to win the collisions. You can have as many guys in the team that are great over the ball but if the opposition wins the collision it won’t matter

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Banks has to go. Just isn’t offering anything.

The handling was horrific, the conditions were perfect and compared to last week how does this happen?

thought the same but the alternate is Maddocks lol, hope DHP is fit, i want him back at 15, we need a running fullback that PASSES..Filipo got wasted today because banks and paisami refused top pass him any ball..