• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought he was on 58. That certainly makes taking him to the USA and giving him some game time a better prospect.

I'd certainly give most of the game to Phipps or White as both could probably use another run around.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought he was on 58. That certainly makes taking him to the USA and giving him some game time a better prospect.

I'd certainly give most of the game to Phipps or White as both could probably use another run around.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...h-july-2015-mendoza.15778/page-11#post-767289

Some sources haven't updated some games but given I did that after the SA game all the sources would've been up to 2015.

So Horwill is qualified already and Quade needs 4, Kepu 4 and Palu 5 after Saturday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kepu seems like the only person Cheika will be desperate to qualify.

Cooper will be less of an issue mostly because the ARU believe he'll be staying in Australia. My best is that he'll either make 60 games this year because he becomes our best 10 or he might only play the game against Uruguay in the RWC.

Palu will only get there if his form demands it and he stays healthy. I'd guess that would be unlikely and not really of concern to Cheika as Palu is clearly in the twilight of his career.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The talk is Kepu will make himself unavailable anyway because he left for family rather than money and playing Tests would kinda defeat the purpose. I'm guessing he plays EOYTs only which would be a good outcome given the different scrummaging challenges compared to TRC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The talk is Kepu will make himself unavailable anyway because he left for family rather than money and playing Tests would kinda defeat the purpose. I'm guessing he plays EOYTs only which would be a good outcome given the different scrummaging challenges compared to TRC.

I've read that too.

His arm may be twisted for a few tests each year though. Playing a couple of Rugby Championship tests in Australia/NZ could be a good annual trip home for his family to see the extended family each year.

The EOYT might not be that appealing for him as he'd be on tour away from his family the whole time (even though they were only a few hundred kms away).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My main concern here is White having one of his bad games and there's no one on the bench to bring on.....

Giteau is not a halfback.

Or To'omua knocking himself out trying to tackle Nonu in the first minute and suddenly we're down to one bench back. Hooper didn't exactly work out at 12 last time it happened.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Or To'omua knocking himself out trying to tackle Nonu in the first minute and suddenly we're down to one bench back. Hooper didn't exactly work out at 12 last time it happened.

If that happens we've got 10 Cooper 12 Beale at Eden Park for 79 mins :eek:

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Well no, I'm pretty sure there will be 9 scrum halfs other than Phipps playing in Australia every week.

Regardless of next year, why would Cheika be so concerned about losing a player that's not in his top 2 that he would use a limited RWC on Genia?

Maybe so, but that would depend on whether Genia is in fact Cheika's third choice. What makes everyone so sure he is #3 in the pecking order? We was picked as starting half for the first TRC match, and given wasn't having a blinder, the only reason he didn't come back after half-time was because of the knee injury.

I have no idea how it will all play out but it wouldn't surprise me if Phipps or White was left behind for the RWC as Cheika has shown us with this weeks selection that he has every faith in Gits being able to cover 9 in an emergency. Of all the positions on the field, I think the most uncertain if #9.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
If he doesn't make the RWC squad that's what.

Obviously that would make it pretty clear but I was referring to the continual reference to Genia being the 3rd choice right now and the discussion of whether Cheika would take him to the RWC. I don't think Cheika would include anyone just to get a player an extra cap or two for future eligibility, but I also don't think Genia is necessarily #3 on his pecking list.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why would you cut Genia when he only has to play 2 more games to be eligible for Wallabies next year when he plays for Stade Francais, it makes no sense. Also, at the end of this year White leaves to Montpellier on a 3 year contract. So does Cheika look for the long term option or the short term option? Fair enough, if White plays the house down on Saturday then he has earned the #9, but if has a shocker or average performance I'd put him below Genia and Phipps in the ranking order.
So you play bad at Eden Park and you end up being crap.. we would have no players to pick

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
So you play bad at Eden Park and you end up being crap.. we would have no players to pick

No, I don't think that is the point BamBam was trying to make. It is not about being crap and getting dropped, rather if neither White nor Genia had put in standout performances and he only wanted to take two halves to the RWC, then it would make sense to take Genia over White.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If Australia was in a position where playing Genia from os was seen as neccessary I'm sure they'd find a way to play him on 59 caps. It's only an arbitrary rule anyway.

I just don't think they'd bother, there's enough promise with a few young guys around

Not a reason not to have your best team out there this year (which he may or may not be in)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Australia was in a position where playing Genia from os was seen as neccessary I'm sure they'd find a way to play him on 59 caps. It's only an arbitrary rule anyway.

I just don't think they'd bother, there's enough promise with a few young guys around

Not a reason not to have your best team out there this year (which he may or may not be in)

Is there?? I think that's an issue for sure. We're losing White, Genia and Burgess.

Next year it's going to be 30 caps Nick Phipps only.

Who's next? There's Nic Stirzaker and Nick Frisby - that's it and neither inspire that much at Test level, hopefully they have big seasons next year.

T

Train Without a Station

No, I don't think that is the point BamBam was trying to make. It is not about being crap and getting dropped, rather if neither White nor Genia had put in standout performances and he only wanted to take two halves to the RWC, then it would make sense to take Genia over White.

If they were equal, yes.

White was excellent in his bench performance. Genia was poor in his starting performance.

T

Train Without a Station

That's great, but if you didn't think he was one of your top halfbacks why would you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.