• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

I think Cheika has changed it up to keep the AB's guessing . The AB's were probably starting to formulate a plan to counter the Hooper/Pocock axis of awesomeness and work out what happened in the scrum. Fresh selections, slightly different look could catch the kiwis off guard.

We will need big games from all. Speight and Douglas could be a little under seasoned for the Eden park cauldron.

What we can take out of last weeks game is no matter who is selected if you bring the right attitude and ferocity you can beat anyone.

Come on the Wallabies......its time to 86 the 86!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
haha man this Michael Cheika has some balls. I love it. He's either a lunatic, or a genius. We'll find out Saturday I guess.

A few thoughts:-

• I actually think that looks pretty close to our strongest team on paper, both in terms of the backs and the pack (minus Simo's lineout presence). That scrum is F'n HUGE and if Skelton does his job, the kiwis should be under all kinds of pressure.
  • The Cooper/To'omua combo has worked well in the past, and I suspect this is do or die for Cooper. A poor performance here will make it easy for Cheika to leave him out of the RWC squad.
  • The decision to make so many changes to the starting pack suggests that the Wallabies are changing their tactics for this game, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Presumably the All Blacks would have been expecting something similar to last week, but they'll be getting something different. Theoretically that's a positive. When you look at the great Australian teams of the past the one attribute they always had was an ability to outsmart their opponents. There was an element of that in last weeks selections, and I like to think we are seeing that again here with Cheika unexpectedly moving the goal posts.
  • For anyone that is really concerned about the change in the starting side I think it's worth noting that it is very likely that the wallabies could play the final 20-30 minutes with the same team that finished the game last week (i.e. pooper, mumm, same front row, same 9/10/12 combo). I think that's a massive positive given how strongly we finished last week.
  • The selection of Douglas isn't that big of a shock to me. I have been saying for weeks now that Douglas is definitely in Cheika's plans. It does create an interesting selection dilemma though for the RWC.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
All the talk about QC (Quade Cooper) not being able to handle the pressure of a hostile NZ crowd. One of the best games I've seen Quade play was vs ABs in Dunedin 2013 (or best game from any player in recent times vs NZ in NZ for that matter). When he brings his A game he is on another level and to not give him a chance would defy logic.

Very valid.....for one game.

I am a major QC (Quade Cooper) 'loyalist' given what he's contributed to QLD rugby, which is immense, but the hard facts are that:

- his recent injury record has not availed him of sustained periods of confidence-building games, and all 10s playing at a high level need consistent game time to hone their best skills and performances and their interactive strength with the team as a whole

- his recent games for the Reds and Wallabies have been at a level of 'QC (Quade Cooper) At His Best Minus 30% (or More)'. His play has been erratic, he looks as though his inner confidence has gone, he plays well enough for 15-20 mins then falls off, his ability to find holes and spaces for his backs seems a shadow of his 2011 best, and his kicking at best is to a 'just OK' % level and way below what is required at Test Level

- the seeming instability and vacillation as to what QC (Quade Cooper) wants to do with his playing career in 2016+ and the serious mess he seems to be in over it all, are to me symptoms of what I have written above and are likely caused by a lack of solidity within himself as to his focus and real level of confidence.

I hate to find myself writing this, but I fear that QC (Quade Cooper)'s 2015 playing psyche is not at all optimal and that he needs to rebuild his confidence and on-field capability.

I am not convinced this will optimally occur at Eden Park this Saturday. But let us hope for the best; I will be thrilled to be wrong.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Stunning selections.

I can only assume that Cheika is treating this as part of the World Cup campaign, more than about the Bledisloe.

Good on him. Gutsy.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They had a spider cam at Eden Park for the Cricket World Cup didn't they?

Wonder how much air time it will get with Sideways Crockett starting in the front row for The Darkness?

I reckon we have a pack to win the scrummaging contest easily, especially our starting front row.

Who is the referee?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The crazy thing about this selection for me, is once again the expectations are on the forwards to perform. Even with Quade Cooper in the team I'm more worried about the forwards and less worried about the backs.

Which is crazy given last weeks performance where the forwards dominated and many of the backs went missing.

One thing is for sure with this team, it will answer a lot of questions.

If we win once again we will have a team capable of executing 2 completely different game-plans - it's been a long time since we had a team this adaptable.

I like it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Wonder how much air time it will get with Sideways Crockett starting in the front row for The Darkness?

I reckon we have a pack to win the scrummaging contest easily, especially our starting front row.

Who is the referee?

Owens

Referee Nigel Owens
AR1 Wayne Barnes
AR2 Federico Anselmi
TMO Shaun Veldsman

T

TOCC

Stunned that people think Cheika isn't putting out his best team possible to win the Bledisloe. It's like he got no credit for tactically beating Hansen last week.

If this were a non-RWC year do you really think this is the match day 22 that Cheika would select?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Hansen was thinking that Chieka was thinking that he would be planning to combat the Hooper/Pocock combo, but Hansen has changed things up to now have Cheika thinking that this is because he has thought that.

Make sense. No? Well nor does all the other second guessing on here :)

I think both coaches have selected what they wanted given factors such as player management, their respective WC plans, and the situation at hand.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Stunned that people think Cheika isn't putting out his best team possible to win the Bledisloe. It's like he got no credit for tactically beating Hansen last week.

I agree. It's not a RWC experiment, it's a strategic plan to win back the Bledisloe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If this were a non-RWC year do you really think this is the match day 22 that Cheika would select?

100%. He's picked the best team to win the Bledisloe. He obviously thinks going in with the same team that won last week wasn't a good idea, probably because he thinks the performance could've been better by some and the ABs will have worked on ways to counter.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
It's not quite the team I would have gone with but overall I quite like it. It's going to be a war out there so I quite like our starting pack and forward heavy bench. Like others have said, I see Pocock coming on for Palu at halftime. Mumm and Douglas replacing our locks after 60 perhaps.

I am a touch nervous about Quade but he has combined with To'omua beautifully in the past. And let's face it Foley was poor last week.

To read social media you'd think the Kiwis have won the game already. I wouldn't be so sure. It may yet go against us but I think this could be a game for the ages.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Who is the referee?

Crockett isn't starting, Woody is.

Whitelock is back in so the locks will pack tighter which will help us considerably.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Stunning selections.

I can only assume that Cheika is treating this as part of the World Cup campaign, more than about the Bledisloe.

Good on him. Gutsy.

I disagree. I think its more of a tactical move then anything.

The inclusion of Skelton and Palu and 6-2 split with Douglas on the bench indicates this.

The other selections in Cooper over Foley, and To'omua over Gits is rewarding great performances and/or dropping poor performances.

Speight deserves his chances also.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Kane Douglas is really in your best match day 22 give his injuries and lack of game time?

I think it's about getting a whole new tight 5 to finish the game and he was the only lock available*.

*that is worthy.

Douglas probably only gets 10 mins for Horwill. Mumm comes on for Skelton after 55.

BamBamRMH7

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting to see that Genia is out once again, he's on 58 caps. Cooper needs to perform this game or else he is gone for good, because if he plays shocking this Saturday I don't see him gaining them next 5 caps for Australia at the world cup due to the fact that it's pointless having him on the bench. Would have preferred Higginbotham to be #8 instead of Palu so that he had a chance to redeem himself and also the Wallabies would have 3 lineout jumpers.

My Tips
  • Wallabies to be dominated at lineouts.
  • Even scrum between Wallabies and All Blacks, but don't be surprised if All Blacks dominate the scrum in the first half.
  • Wallabies to be dominated in the breakdown until Pocock comes on.
  • All Blacks by 12+

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So Kane Douglas is really in your best match day 22 give his injuries and lack of game time?

My first thought was the same BUT If he's outperforming Mumm and Horwill at training then why not. Let's have a little faith in our coaching staff. His bigger body seem to fit the new game-plan.

It's going to be very Tah-like in the forwards this time round. Big bodies hitting rucks and counter-rucking over pilfering. At least thats what the squad selections indicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.