• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Saturday 25th August 2018 - Eden Park, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You're making the assumption that those other countries can choose from both as well. What's Hooper worth if there's no Pocock? Which incidentally is likely to be the case here after RWC next year.

We paid a fortune in giving him time off. It was meant to extend his career. Do you know something that we don't?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We paid a fortune in giving him time off. It was meant to extend his career. Do you know something that we don't?

He wasn't paid to have time off, he had his pay (lots of it) spread over 3 years, but we don't need to go down that path on this thread. He's 30 now, that deal was all about making sure he makes it to the world cup next year, he may play on afterwards but I'm just reading between the lines. I think his body will have had enough and he'll go off to fight for land rights for harp seals or something.

Brumbies chief executive Michael Jones added: "David has been very honest throughout negotiations with both the Brumbies and ARU about his desire to play on until the next World Cup in 2019, and explore off-field opportunities that he is very passionate about.
"Having David recommit to the Brumbies along with a number of other players is great news for the future of this side."
Pocock worked with the Brumbies and ARU to come up with a deal that would keep him fresh for the 2019 World Cup in Japan.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-with-12-months-to-study-20160316-gnjy6d.html

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If we ever get a coach who has the balls to select Pocock at 7 and wanting a replacement 7 on the bench, then it won't be long before comparisons start to be drawn between Hooper, who does not play like a 7 at all, and the best of the rest, probably Hardwick in a year or two.
Rubbish stats haveshown year in year out Hoopersa 7 and a grest one.. no he aint Poey .. but Hardwick aint close ..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably a good way to test his worth is a debate about how many of the top national teams around the world that Hooper would get picked for besides the Wallabies. I certainly seem to think that most of the coaches of those teams given the choice would take Pocock over Hooper in the 7 position.

Of course they would, because Pocock is a proper (and best) No 7 going round, while nobody can really say what role Hooper plays. He is not a No 7 nor a No 8, and seems his primary role is to cover the 10/12 channel in defense, which he does rather ineffectually given his propensity to charge out of the line and create holes for the opposition to take advantage.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He may be worth that money annually right now but there is no solid reason to give him an extended contract, or at least the cons outweigh the pros. It is disheartening for these young players and many other coaches may see him as a backup to Pocock on the bench. He also qualifies for the Wallabies through the Giteau law already. He may also lose form or be inured some time in the next few years, God forbid.
A standard 1-2 year deal would have been fine. Who knows what the rugby landscape will look like in a couple of years?
No arguement with that id be managing him till the next wirld cup..like they did with poey

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Probably a good way to test his worth is a debate about how many of the top national teams around the world that Hooper would get picked for besides the Wallabies. I certainly seem to think that most of the coaches of those teams given the choice would take Pocock over Hooper in the 7 position.
Yeah take Poey off thw table and they all pick Hooper expect possible the black..who is a better 7..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rubbish stats haveshown year in year out Hoopersa 7 and a grest one.. no he aint Poey .. but Hardwick aint close ..

Tom, do you really mean to say that you think Hooper has been playing the role of a No 7 for the Wallabies while Poey has been around> Of course hge isn't. Doesn't hit any rucks and makes few turnover attempts let alone actually making turnovers except when he comes in second on a tackle out wide. He is not playing any other forwards type role at present which is leaving us vulnerable in tight. We don't need him to set up our attack because that is done by those players who fill the 10 and 12 spots, allegedly.

Can you say exactly what his role is and how he contributes in the way he presently plays?

And if he replaces Pocock after the RWC would he not have to put on another 10kg or more to be effective at the breakdown which would be his primary role then? I'm sorry, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the other 7s would then surpass him at the traditional No 7 game by that time.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Of course they would, because Pocock is a proper (and best) No 7 going round, while nobody can really say what role Hooper plays. He is not a No 7 nor a No 8, and seems his primary role is to cover the 10/12 channel in defense, which he does rather ineffectually given his propensity to charge out of the line and create holes for the opposition to take advantage.
This rubbish BR and you know from his days at the Brumbies his ablity on the ball speed over the park iz second to none. His playing a different role now.. i particually dont luke it he and poey should share half each and be on ballers ..

But after poey his our best player..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tom, do you really mean to say that you think Hooper has been playing the role of a No 7 for the Wallabies while Poey has been around> Of course hge isn't. Doesn't hit any rucks and makes few turnover attempts let alone actually making turnovers except when he comes in second on a tackle out wide. He is not playing any other forwards type role at present which is leaving us vulnerable in tight. We don't need him to set up our attack because that is done by those players who fill the 10 and 12 spots, allegedly.

Can you say exactly what his role is and how he contributes in the way he presently plays?

And if he replaces Pocock after the RWC would he not have to put on another 10kg or more to be effective at the breakdown which would be his primary role then? I'm sorry, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the other 7s would then surpass him at the traditional No 7 game by that time.
He isnt playing that role now but he did last year.. Hardwick..lol Wright no way.. Gill maybe but other then Poey his the best 7 we got

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good point - Hooper being given a 6 year contract would be crazy if Pocock still around but as stated he is likely to bugger off after the world cup.

My only concern is 6 years still a long time as would he still be the top backrow forward in say three years time. We already know the perils of locking in long term contracts and risk of loss of form / value with the Quade saga...

Personally 6 years to lock in Hooper seems too long and would have preferred 3 years but as someone else noted I am not making the decisions and in fairness would have to state those making the decisions much more qualified than this armchair warrior. But hey that would not be fun if we still don't have our forthright opinions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see long term contracts become more common. All indications are that rugby will become increasingly commercialized in a similar vein to Soccer where 4-5 year contracts are the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.