• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Question: RE: Adam Coleman, wallaby lock.

According to Wiki
Coleman is the son of former Tongan rugby captain Pau'u Afeaki .
So why is his surname Coleman?

I had the same question about Lachlan maranta who just joined the Reds from the Broncos
Son of ex bronco Brett plowmann.
Apparently he was Maranta-plowman and hated the hyphenated name so dropped the last half.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Sure it's realistic but is it a good idea?

If you publicly state that as your thoughts on the game and then get absolutely flogged you get all manner of criticism about not being mentally prepared for the match etc.

I think the sports psychology side of things would say that confidence is crucially important in this sort of thing otherwise you're even more likely to get smashed or injured etc.

Surely it's important for our players to believe they can compete with the opposition.

I find it kind of baffling how upset fans get about our players making confident statements to the media. Our players have to believe that their preparation and ability allows them to compete. The delusional bit to me is the fans taking it completely at face value and thinking our players are being arrogant and overconfident.

Personally I'd like it to be like the boxing weigh ins with each player promising to bring a world of pain to their opponent. Of course the ABs may have better, um, 'retorts' at this point.......

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I am glad to see Quade in the team. The only proviso I would have is that I hope he has been told to underplay his game, not to try to win on his own.

With solid performances in front and on either side of him he can win games.

On the other hand, if the piggies are going backwards no changes in the backline will help avoid catastrophe.

The only Timani I would pick is Sitaleki.

One assumes that the tactical kicking plan survives into its second week, given the public acknowledgements by the players last week that you need to be a bit sensible about field position in test rugby.

I'd say that it isn't a bad idea given that Cooper has quite an educated boot and the venue at which we are playing. If we can just play smart and tackle well I think we can improve a lot from last week.

Reactions: Tip
M

Moono75

Everything's fine mate:)

14034834_10153717752062882_5112774808681980092_n.jpg
I'll be right over. Don't start with out me :D

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Personally I'd like it to be like the boxing weigh ins with each player promising to bring a world of pain to their opponent. Of course the ABs may have better, um, 'retorts' at this point...

do you mean like that key and peele boxing weigh in smack talk sketch?

K

KAOPointman

As a QC (Quade Cooper) fan, I totally hope you're right SoJ, but without wanting to sounds like Quade's mum, and knowing full well: Foley's form; no one else to play; QC (Quade Cooper) is a professional sports person; current state of Aus rugby etc, but I think QC (Quade Cooper) is kind of getting set up to fail. First game back for ages and it's this one. I mean, if he has a shocker, we still need to give him some room and can't then knee-jerk drop him from one bad performance, right? Personally, would have liked to have seen a Quade-Kerevi-Kuridrani 10-12-13 or even Quade-Kerevi-Folau, but that's all been discussed to death. Would Quade be better off with some heavy (ball carrying) artillery by his side or a second play-maker? I guess Cheiks is assuming Quade is like for like swap for Beale - although it's Foley playing 12, but he maintains the 2 play-maker thing.

(OK, Quade-Hooper-Kerevi - leaves room for Timani and drop Skelton!)
Totally agree. Can't wait for the headlines...."Quade looses test match because...." Despite probably setting up/scoring most of the points.....creating more opportunities then Foley has all year, but making half the bad descissions Foley has been making!
But the reality is he's been thrust in to replace a totally average incompetent playmaker....in the most HOSTILE environment in world rugby, in a team full of changes and growing!
They NEED to stick with him and have big gain line players next to him like Kerevi and Folou getting used to his play style. It WILL click. And Quades defence hasn't been questionable for along time now. His defence at Toulon was very decent.....front line or at FB.

I'm also ready to turn the volume down.....I'm so over the childish booing by the kiwi crowds!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Rathbone was part of the squad/support team or even playing still I might think he should've been more guarded. As a private citizen it's probably in his interest to just be honest.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I agree but what's going on with the ARU publishing it?
Treachery or all in the spirit of open governance and the free exchange of ideas?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If it's wet, you kick your points, kick for territory and let the opponent make all the play, amd consequently, most of the mistakes.

To play any other way is to say style ahead of results.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I find it kind of baffling how upset fans get about our players making confident statements to the media. Our players have to believe that their preparation and ability allows them to compete. The delusional bit to me is the fans taking it completely at face value and thinking our players are being arrogant and overconfident.
I don't get upset about their comments but the continuous flow of drivel from them really gives me the shits. If they are not to be believed (taken at face value) then why trot them out week after week to make the same inane statements to the press. I'd prefer press comments only to be made by the coach, and if the reality doesn't then reflect those statements then hold them to account. Can't hold a player to account for the performance of the whole team, but the coach should have the intestinal fortitude to face the press beforehand and then to account for what went right or wrong afterwards.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Cheka came out after last week and said "the breakdown was shit, the defence was crap and we didn't make the gain line" or even "our fundamentals were shit".
It wouldnt matter how much he talked the team up in the following week at least we'd all know that the players know that they played crap.
and we could be loyal and hopeful and everything (although its not our frames of mind that matter).
That doesn't explain WTF Grey was talking about.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah. Nah.

Anyone think going to night test matches in NZ way back when made it a touch more difficult for visitors to win? Used to love those lunchtime kickoffs, rose glasses but I remember lots of daytime fine weather test matches, sunny skies and you know, more than the odd win.
Yes I know they have to play at night over here but they're good, we're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.