• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Here's the forward pack I'd pick this weekend.

Slipper
TPN
Kepu
Douglas
Coleman
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock

Res: Moore, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Mumm, Timani

Putting aside the Hooper/Poey thing it is a real shame that nearly everyone is for the dropping of the Wallaby caption (me included).

His form dictates that but it is a sad state of affairs all the same.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Here's the forward pack I'd pick this weekend.

Slipper
TPN
Kepu
Douglas
Coleman
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock

Res: Moore, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Mumm, Timani

So Simmons and McCalman get sent packing.
Sio and Moore to the bench.
Coleman to sink or swim against Retallick/ Whitelock.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So Simmons and McCalman get sent packing.
Sio and Moore to the bench.
Coleman to sink or swim against Retallick/ Whitelock.

Yeah, I think the Pooper has run it's course. I'd keep McCalman at 8 (or give Timani a go) and I'd start Mumm and bring Coleman off the bench.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
McCalman missed 4 tackles and made zero run metres.

I'm unsure what keeps him in the side.

If missed tackles is the yardstick then Kuridrani and Phipps are going to be the only 2 players left from Saturday's 23. I actually have a feeling the opposite will happen though, the team will be announced and there'll be like 2 changes to the starting XV (one will be 12) and only forced changes to the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Simmons 5 runs for 2m, Missed 1 tackle, completed 11

Douglas 6 runs for 5m, but 3 missed tackles, completed 11.
Maybe we should think about dropping Douglas before Simmons?

But then again, at least Douglas has in the past stepped up, but Simmons has never.

Although realistically Douglas only has a couple of games for the Tahs 2014, and a game or two last RWC under his resume for solid outings.

Really unsure how to fix this, Our locks remain a a huge issue.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If missed tackles is the yardstick then Kuridrani and Phipps are going to be the only 2 players left from Saturday's 23. I actually have a feeling the opposite will happen though, the team will be announced and there'll be like 2 changes to the starting XV (one will be 12) and only forced changes to the bench.

Nah I think Cheika will punish the poor performers with changes. It was a record loss after all, not our usual mediocre loss.

He hasn't been scared to drop players in the England series (Simmons, changing our locks) , I expect more changes now.

Think he needs to throw training performance out the window and base his selections completely on match performance. Seems like the good trainers can't transfer it to the Test arena.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Nah I think Cheika will punish the poor performers with changes. It was a record loss after all, not our usual mediocre loss.

He hasn't been scared to drop players in the England series (Simmons, changing our locks) , I expect more changes now.

Think he needs to throw training performance out the window and base his selections completely on match performance. Seems like the good trainers can't transfer it to the Test arena.

And I hope you are right.

I suppose that in fairness he didn't have any recent match performances to base his selections off, the word was that McCalman had trained the house down and that's what got him in the side. So now Cheika is in the predicament of having half a dozen or so players who played OK on the weekend (2 of which are 7s and 2 of which are 9s) and having to try to construct a competitive team around those guys.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Individual assessments of each players performance is proving difficult.
It is the teamwork in the first Bled that was most disappointing for mine.
E.G. The first lineout; Was Simmons (caller) Moore (thrower) Hooper (catcher) or the lifter (?) responsible for such a let off in pressure?
E.G. Who can you blame the AB's first try on?

Benching players for their mistakes is not going to yield a better team or result IMO. But something has to be done. Who would be a coach.

I agree with Bravehearts forward pack.

Kepu TPN Slipper
Coleman Douglas
Fardy Pocock Hooper

Coleman hopefully adds some impact in general play without losing any set piece consistency. Downside with this pack is you lose both the captain and the leader of the lineout. Fardy to lead the lineout.

Backs;
Do any of these slugs have any pace or ability to kick?
Fuck.

Genia
Foley
Mitchell
Kerevi / Cooper
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
DHP
Izzy

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I am sure the Pooper will get another run this week. If there was a better option at #8 then maybe not, but there isn't. And dropping Hooper after 40 odd missed tackles is mad. Like it or not we need his ticker this week.

McCalman and Simmons just don't have the impact at this level and it's sad that I have more faith in Mumm not to go missing. Forty really good minutes at test level every fifth game is not acceptable.

Sio wasn't shown up in the set piece and think he will be better around the park this week and I like the idea of bringing the experienced old head (Slipper) on with the young prop. The two inexperienced front rowers on together to close out the test wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Foley needs to be told he is expendable and need much more penetration in the midfield.

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Mumm
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock (C)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. DHP
12. Kerevi
13. Folau
14. Hodge
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Alaatoa
19. Coleman
20. Timani
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Morahan

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am sure the Pooper will get another run this week. If there was a better option at #8 then maybe not, but there isn't. And dropping Hooper after 40 odd missed tackles is mad. Like it or not we need his ticker this week.

McCalman & Timani are your alternative options. They both have height advantage which makes them slightly better options then Hooper in the line-out.

I'm not sure what the status of McMahon is, but he is regularly used in the line-out for the Rebels so is also a better option then Hooper in that regard.

Personally, I would love to see Timani there with Hooper your impact player from the bench - he can take on Ardie Savea.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
McCalman that made 0 metres last week. No thanks.

Timani is a risk on the bench let alone starting for someone who has been consistently one of our best

If the lineout can't operate with 3.5 jumpers then 4 isn't going to help. So many dumb calls last week, keep it simple and smart and three options will do. Calling to Hooper first throw is dumb. Calling a four man lineout in your half in the second half to retain possession is dumb. Eeveryone in the fucking stadium and watching knew what was coming, everyone except the Aussie players. Just two examples of where the players thought they were being really clever and paid the price badly. They won't make that mistake this week.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Where do you get your stats out of interest? I'm not suggesting these are great stats either, but according to the Vodacom app he had 6 carries for 4 metres and missed 2/9 tackles. Everyone is advocating the return of Fardy which admittedly is primarily for his lineout prowess - but in his 22 minutes he had 1 carry for 0 metres and missed 3/5 tackles.

I for one am for the return of Fardy, my point is that on a night when the whole team were turnstiles and had zero go forward, I don't think that run metres and missed tackles are differentiating factors!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where do you get your stats out of interest? I'm not suggesting these are great stats either, but according to the Vodacom app he had 6 carries for 4 metres and missed 2/9 tackles. Everyone is advocating the return of Fardy which admittedly is primarily for his lineout prowess - but in his 22 minutes he had 1 carry for 0 metres and missed 3/5 tackles.

I for one am for the return of Fardy, my point is that on a night when the whole team were turnstiles and had zero go forward, I don't think that run metres and missed tackles are differentiating factors!

That was from espnscrum.com.

My thought was that the backrow didn't work well, Pocock was our best forward, Hooper had the most tackles and run metres amongst our forwards and could end up being captain this week.

McCalman was very quiet.

I don't really see the point of having McCalman keep his spot and move Hooper to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.