• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
McReight selection is weird. Don’t feel like we need another fetcher on for the end of the game. Ball retention has been our biggest problem, as well as bending the line close to the ruck in the last 20min. Tupou on the bench solves the ball running but yeh weird re McReight, he’s a gun and was bound to play big roles for the Wallabies in the future but I’m not sure he fits this.

Anyway - go the Wallabies

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
15/23 of the players featured in the Brumbies v Reds grandfinal. Despite lack of test experience these players know each other.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tupou, Mcdermott and Paisami offer us the ability to inject more attack from the bench than either of the benches in the first 2 games. I probably would have preferred Samu over Mcreight, but I don't hate the concept of getting another pilferer on the field in the final ~20.

It is a pack of good babies playing pretty seasoned men

It could be character building for them

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Bookmakers having a lend - Wallabies are $4, add a 1 in front and you're closer to the price.

Sure they're back home but with debutant 10/12 and already 0-2 in the series that price I feel is crazy.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Although he is uncapped/ young, honestly think Hosea would provide more impact across the park and have equal impact at lineout time.
Can we just move on from Simmons? He is putting a hold on our new crop of talent coming through.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
do u remember the jersey number? as i said benh player, he replaced either howlett or Mils, did not start at 14 in any game, and moved to 11 when caucau got injured

Incorrect. He started the first 3 games of the season in the 14 jersey (v Tahs, v Chiefs, v Crusaders).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
McReight selection is weird. Don’t feel like we need another fetcher on for the end of the game. Ball retention has been our biggest problem, as well as bending the line close to the ruck in the last 20min. Tupou on the bench solves the ball running but yeh weird re McReight, he’s a gun and was bound to play big roles for the Wallabies in the future but I’m not sure he fits this.

If we don't have the ball in the last 20mins then a fetcher would be handy. Although I agree that Samu would be a better options as he does both.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yep, I'm happy with the run-on 15 considering our injuries, but I would select a very different bench with Hosea, Samu, Gordon and Harrison in place of Simmons, McReight, McDermott and Paisami.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he replaces Hooper during the second half. Hooper got bashed around a bit in the first two tests and might be carrying some niggles.
Would also give Rennie a chance of comparing apples with apples.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he replaces Hooper during the second half. Hooper got bashed around a bit in the first two tests and might be carrying some niggles.
Not a bad shout. In that case, Simmo or DHP as captain?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bookmakers having a lend - Wallabies are $4, add a 1 in front and you're closer to the price.

Sure they're back home but with debutant 10/12 and already 0-2 in the series that price I feel is crazy.

Credit where its due. An away draw was as good as a win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I thought the All Blacks -8.5 was a bargain.

Total caps AB 839-640 Wobs
Forwards 355-292
Backs 279-106
Reserves 205-242 (of which Simmons 102)
Edit: starting XV's 634-398 which is probably more telling than any of the above.

In the Wallabies forwards, Slipper and Hooper have 199 of those 292 caps between them.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Not a bad shout. In that case, Simmo or DHP as captain?

oh boy.gif

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Hooper would be penned in to play the whole game, if he was a risk I reckon they would have gone a 6:2 bench. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would be the second reserve loosie, I think the selection of McReight is to inject some energy into the back half of the game - the Hoopreight

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rennie can only choose from what’s available. That pack should be fine. Fair enough retaining Simmons. McReight is interesting. With the ABs returning to a more orthodox back row and without Savea we might have more on the ball presence late in the game.