• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kerevi won’t be back this year as it requires a 2 week isolation period to return. All games vs NZ would be done by then

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Next week, i'd just go all out with:

9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Wright
12. Hodge
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Maddocks

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I disagree. I think there is a clear difference in the level of basic skills across the board from our players compared to the AB's. Maybe a bad crop is a little harsh but we certainly don't have a solid crop to work with. Coach after coach it's the same result - which is a pretty good indicator the coach ain't the problem, the players are.

Nah these same guys were beating their NZ counterparts at every level below this, so relatively they've clearly got the talent compared to equivalent 20 yr old players in NZ.

Difference is, those NZ u20s players don't make up half the squad like they do in Aus.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Next game I think we might see Naisarani in the side to offer more in the contact zone. Currently Wilson is a one man band against the ABs in that area, he could do with one or 2 more guys that are going to assert themselves physically. Wilson I thought was our best last night.

Simone has single season Wallaby all over him, good Super Rugby player but there is nothing in his game that worries international standard teams. Could be the Benny Taps of 2020.

Fullback is a big issue. DHP was a 5/10 last night in that he wasn’t at fault for anything but I think we need to look at Maddocks. He’s the only option we have that in 2/3yrs time could (stress could) be in the conversation for best players in his position in the world.

Tough game for Lolesio, he was abit of a deer in headlight but he will be better for it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Kerevi coming back at some stage would disrupt the second playmaker at 12 option. Then we will really need a second playmaker at fullback. Maddocks and the Red's player (forgot his name) are probably the options there. Maybe Hodge.
Hodge is NOT a playmaker. Beggars belief that some people still think he is any sort of option at 10, even as reserve. Would anyone play him at 10 at Super Rugby level? I doubt it.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The players sang the nation anthem with pride and passion (probably the best of any Australian sporting team for a while)and tried their guts out on the field.

They played their best but weren't good enough; too many pushed passes, too many poor kicks under pressure and too many basic little errors which put them back under pressure again and again. These habits are learnt over time during the player development phase, not in a few weeks in the national team. (I think Rennie is a good coach, but note that he hasn't come through an RA coach development process - QED)

Talking of changes is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. This is what 20 years of chaotic mismanagement and lack of strategic direction looks like. It has resulted in dysfunctional player and coach development systems and processes. This all needs to be fixed before anything other that what we have witnessed over the past few games and few years is going to happen.

The players are a product of the system which has developed them and any potential replacements will have the same strengths and weaknesses.
Last night’s game was hot potatoes and not retaining possession. When this type of play makes its way into the game it usually lack of confidence. Hooper’s game management wasn’t on point last night and he wasn’t talking to his team enough to hold the ball. We were poor at the breakdown and slow off the line. Our forwards were not able to push forward because our backs were in shambles. To'omua was needed. Too many young ones but it’s a transition because our experienced players are overseas chasing the money. Rennie has come at a crucial time and needs to make the best of what he’s been given. I don’t think we could have changed the team selection unless we called some players home. Even that wouldn’t have guaranteed us the win.
We need to soldier on and get our young players test experience so we can produce a quality team over the next couple of years.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hodge is NOT a playmaker. Beggars belief that some people still think he is any sort of option at 10, even as reserve. Would anyone play him at 10 at Super Rugby level? I doubt it.

Definitely doesn't have the skill for a primary playmaker but as a secondary one could work.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)

I think the best I've seen him play was as a 10 in Manly colts. Which is obviously a world away and I wouldn't suggest putting him at 10 for the Wallabies but I do wonder why he was moved away from 10. His skill set suggests 10 to me and if he had been developed there then who knows.

As it stands he is not great in any position.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Next game I think we might see Naisarani in the side to offer more in the contact zone. Currently Wilson is a one man band against the ABs in that area, he could do with one or 2 more guys that are going to assert themselves physically. Wilson I thought was our best last night.

An undercooked Naisarani must be better than whatever Hanigan put in yesterday.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He kind of became the last man standing option there as a reserve for this test. But as someone pointed out it’s either lolesio or him, unless they shaft Harrison with the gig next week, but hopefully JOC (James O'Connor) is fit.

I was at the game and I was trying to work out what was going on from 5km away, but it looked like Hodge went briefly into 10 when lolesio went off, but then Simone must have passed a HIA or something and came back on for Paisami, and I think he finished the game at 10. Is that right?

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
An undercooked Naisarani must be better than whatever Hanigan put in yesterday.

I don't want to be too harsh on any one player but he was pretty invisible. Naisarani is very physical though and really should have be involved from the get go, lineout was average again so there isn't too much to lose there anyway.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB scrum was shaky at times as it was in Welly, not sure if that's condition- (footing & balance) or personnel churn-related. Lineout was a weapon, as it should be with four legit targets, every tightie had at least a coupla decent carries, made their tackles & cleaned well. Frizell another strong game albeit some errors, Sotutu similar & looks a long-term AB. Any doubts re: Cane being our best 7 are surely history (still unconvinced re: his captaincy credentials, would prefer SamW calling the shots esp when he's calling the shot not the line-kick :)).

ASmith was as expected these days & so, unfortunately, was TJP: it may be time to say sayonara & give Webber a burl. Someone mentioned earlier that it took Mo'unga a while to find his feet as a Super Rugby 5/8, I'd say the same was true re: Test footy but last night I thought he showed just how good he could be. Midfield solid, thankfully they appear to be persisting with having each in their best (if not necessarily preferred) position & long may that continue.

JBar not yet a Test 14 BUT I can remember demanding that IzzyD never play 14 again after a horror-show v SA yet within 12 months had done a full 180, hopefully it's a case of history repeating. Clarke was never gunna be as damaging as at Eden Park but is just as effective as a defender magnet imo. Beaugan seems to be growing into his co-pivot role, now seems content to let Mo'unga steer the ship & chime in as & when opportunities arise rather than hogging it.

Anyways, looking ahead to Brizzy I'd give Cane a rest even if he comes through his HIA & as above give Webber a crack. Moody has to come back in if he's 100% & maybe leave Hodgman on the bench.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Not going to comment on Hooper at 7 or work effort which is huge, but it really is well past time to question his captaincy skills. Wallabies seem to always struggle when the game goes against them. That is fundamental to a Captain to settle the troops and stay focused on game plan. He try’s to lead by example but I think it’s just not working and a young team needs more than Hooper provides.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
I think it’s important to establish our future flyhalf options going into the next World Cup, because many are getting confused with a structured flyhalf and a ball running/defensive inside centre.
My take:
Mason Gordon

Cannot believe you have the courage to include a completely untried and untested schoolboy on this list above seasoned club players.