• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Reds, Super Rugby Wk 17, 2018 Fri 29 June 17:35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Blues show AB's how to capitalise with an extra man (or two)
Rugby will soon be at the stage where players getting tipped in the tackle will be almost professionally obliged NOT to put their arms out to break their fall and instead "take one for the team" landing noggin first and leaving ref no alternative but to go red card
Can't recall a worse handling performance from a backline than the Reds today. Thye just kept bloody dropping it and giving it back!
"Egon, I'd like to draw your attention to some climate change issues, I've found a very interesting article online that....."
"Ben, the rugby!"

"Egon, I'd like to draw your attention to some potential foul play at the concession stand, someone has gone a bit silly with the condiments on their hot dog."
"Shut up, Ben."

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I cry, how can something I love so much put me through this year after year?

I need counseling, I need to find a life the Reds do not inhabit in any form, for my own sanity and my family happiness.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk
Man that's sport unless you hit up Real Madrid. Take the shit, enjoy the good. Makes you feel alive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Tupou's problem with tackle is something he does quite a bit, and he certainly not trying to cannonball, but I have noticed it before when he goes in to some of those close in tackles I think he loses his balance and put's his hand down to hold himself up, so ends up as a no arms tackle.
yeh I agree Dan54 as Tupou is not a dirty player but some technique issues with those close tackles but then again isn't he only something like 170cm tall so maybe short arms as well issue (lol)…..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really not sure what B Thorn is trying to do, he seems to make some selections , then almost seems to decide during the game he wasn't sure so he changes them. I sure it not helping the players to get confidence !

If there's one thing that Thorn has shown this year is that he doesn't have a clue in hell what he's doing as a head coach.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
At round 15 the Reds backs shouldn't be playing like they'd only met yesterday! Seriously, what do they practice at training?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At round 15 the Reds backs shouldn't be playing like they'd only met yesterday! Seriously, what do they practice at training?

unit-1-general-greetings-formal-1-728.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
yeh I agree Dan54 as Tupou is not a dirty player but some technique issues with those close tackles but then again isn't he only something like 170cm tall so maybe short arms as well issue (lol)…..

After looking again RN, I really think his problem comes from he seems to just bend at waist, and not at knees, so he tends to go forward onto his hands so his arms aren't in anyway ready to be used in tackle. It something I would think would be fairly easy to be coached out of him, and as I said I have noticed he has done this a few times, and probably lucky not to get pinged a bit more often.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I’m also patiently awaiting the playing/results dividend from all that fantastic new ‘culture’ that Thorn was supposedly inducing into the 2018 Reds.

Perhaps we’ll just have to wait another year?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
On Tupou's tackle.

My recollection is that grass cutting type tackles were made an offence a few years ago when the likes of TPN and Saia Fainga'a were putting runners at risk. If that's so, then Tupou's tackle immediately was an offense worthy of a penalty. The fact that he compounded the offence by not using his arms was probably what escalated it to a YC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
On Tupou's tackle.

My recollection is that grass cutting type tackles were made an offence a few years ago when the likes of TPN and Saia Fainga'a were putting runners at risk. If that's so, then Tupou's tackle immediately was an offense worthy of a penalty. The fact that he compounded the offence by not using his arms was probably what escalated it to a YC.

In recent years I've only seen them penalised if arms were deemed to have not been used. That was certainly an issue with TPN and Fainga'a at times. The problem is, that when someone does one, they happen really fast, and contact with the arms is often fleeting - Latu did one in a match for the Tahs earlier this season and when slowed, it showed his arms were first contact, but very brief, but he was not penalised. I'm a bit surprised players attempting them don't get kicked in the head more often. I'm not sure why they don't just tackle the player at the knees.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Those "ankle breaker" tackles need to be banned, i remember TPN did that a lot, its not safe cause our lower leg (near the ankles) is quite weak and can easily break (just ask soccer players) in such tackles especially if the player being tackled is actually applying pressure because another tackler has him wrapped from the front thus he has applied pressure to his leg to avoid being pushed but then someone makes an "ankle breaker" tackle and he will lose his ankles for good , its a LOIG type tackle which honestly should not be allowed in union

Status
Not open for further replies.