• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Tahs, round 11 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He did nothing wrong.

Izzy was responsible for a couple of the pushed passes in the first 10 minutes. Had little positive or negative impact after that.

Difficult for any of the outside backs to be judged on that game though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It is perfectly clear that Beale is note a 12, there isn't a position for him in your current backline and there wasn't one when you signed him.

Tonight's swarming defense is the exact precedent of finals rugby, and a 12 that can't make hard meters or smother the opposition in defense is not that handy.

Horne 12, Dennis bench and you are still a pretty good side.

Jacques is a Saint.
Beale no I'm not saying that.
I think he'd be very potent at 15, or 14 - remember Digby Ionne back in 2011. Or a utility coming on late.
He is just not a 12.
I don't have Dennis on my bench though.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
After these commentd I'm glad family duty beckoned today.

I'll watch the replay but it seems pretty much most of what was posted pre-game re: beale, fat cat and Dennis was justified. Its not like the weaknesses in the team like sloppy execution and lack of patience coupled with a soft mental attitude were secret.

Cheika has some hard decisions to make for the good of the team since the players aren't making them.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
JacPot was pretty useful

More than useful, but he's been like that every week. I'm talking about the team.

Scrums, lineouts, kick-off reception, backline attack, handling, passing, composure, leadership, tactics.

I'd be getting Potgieter an Aussie passport if I was Link.

Too bad he was capped for the Boks otherwise he would be a serious Wallaby contender the minute he became Australian.

At this rate I reckon Meyer will call him into the Bok squad for the bench at least. I honestly can't imagine who else would make one of the 4 back row spots ahead of him other than the 3 incumbents.

Unless the current quota pressures make Meyer go to Kolisi instead.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
After these commentd I'm glad family duty beckoned today.

I'll watch the replay but it seems pretty much most of what was posted pre-game re: beale, fat cat and Dennis was justified. Its not like the weaknesses in the team like sloppy execution and lack of patience coupled with a soft mental attitude were secret.

Cheika has some hard decisions to make for the good of the team since the players aren't making them.

Cheika needs to decide what game his team wants to play. They don't seem to really know.

Players need to stop trying the offload every single time and catch the thing when it is there to be caught. That will help.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cheika needs to decide what game his team wants to play. They don't seem to really know.

Players need to stop trying the offload every single time and catch the thing when it is there to be caught. That will help.

Put them on minimum retainer with win bonuses. See what game they want to play then

Reactions: mst

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Too bad he was capped for the Boks otherwise he would be a serious Wallaby contender the minute he became Australian.

At this rate I reckon Meyer will call him into the Bok squad for the bench at least. I honestly can't imagine who else would make one of the 4 back row spots ahead of him other than the 3 incumbents.

Unless the current quota pressures make Meyer go to Kolisi instead.

Was going to post the same thing. SA doesn't have the same stupid aversion to picking players from other SANZAR nations super teams for national duties.

I would think he will be in the squad for sure.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Firstly well done to the Blues and in particular Jerome Kaino who is one hell of a player.

I'm starting to think Michael Cheika is as stupid as he sounds.

2 years in and we've seen fits and starts from a roster that should be capable of consistently winning. Remember that before the 11th in 2012 this side had been in the top 5 for 4 years running.

A lot of people have already touched on it but the Foley - Beale combo is obviously not working. Now I don't think Foley is a bad player and I think in time Beale has the skills to make a 12 but it looks like Cheika has decided his chief playmaker is Beale. This leaves Foley in an awkward position where he really is the least influential 10 in the whole of Super rugby.

The other problem with it was shown up by the Brumbies early on and that is Beale's defense is not strong enough at 12. Cheika's solution, start Rob Horne on the wing and get him to defend at 12. The shuffling doesn't work.

Either make the decision that Beale is your playmaker and play a midfield of Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or give Foley the freedom to run the team. If you give Foley the reigns and drop Beale to the bench or to Fullback with Folau on the wing.

The second issue which hasn't been discussed is the game plan which revolves around getting the ball wide as early as possible. Most starter plays target the outside channels and there are little to no plays run off 9. Tonight we had a dominant forward pack with a big scrum advantage and looked likely in close but we played a game plan that played right into the speed they had out wide.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is that ever true. Too much millionaire lateral footy from the Tahs today. They had the winning of that game if they'd just some bloody composure.

Although when they played direct they did look a million bucks and had the Blues on their heels. But then they looked about 10 bucks when they coughed the ball up or threw it away.

Just lost their shape in attack in the latter parts of the game. That replacement halfback didn't help the cause either IMO.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
BTW, are you unaware of the quote function?

Yes, I'm aware of it, but my new computer isn't so for the past couple of months I've been reduced to this.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I said few weeks back that the Tahs play helter skelter rugby and got laughed at.. You cant just play high risk rugby.. Theres a thing called phases..

And whats plan B.. Tahs only have to wind it back half a notch

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.