• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues Vs Chiefs Pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
With all the talk of the Tahs and Reds line-ups for 2011, the Blues line-up for their Chiefs pre-season game caught my eye:

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. John Afoa
4. Anthony Boric
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Daniel Braid

8. Chris Lowrey
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Luke McAlister
11. Isaia Toeava
12. Benson Stanley
13. Rene Ranger
14. Joe Rokocoko

15. Jared Payne

FORWARDS
Tom McCartney
Ash Dixon
Tevita Mailau
Charlie Faumuina
Kurtis Haiu
Filo Paulo
Mat Luamanu
Luke Braid
James King
Peter Saili

BACKS
Stephen Brett
Auvasa Faleali’i
Winston Stanley
Sherwin Stowers
Lachie Munro

All bolded players have pulled the All Black jersey on at some stage. 13 players.

No big name players on the bench but some useful name eg. Kurtis Haiu, Stephen Brett...

Please let 2011 be the Blues year.....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That is a seriously experienced first 15, and the only NZ squad likely to give the Crusaders a run. But if injuries strike, it falls away very quickly.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Chiefs team to play the Blues:

Mils Muliaina, Lelia Masaga, Jackson Willison, Tana Umaga, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Stephen Donald, Brendon Leonard, Fritz Lee, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam, Romana Graham, Hayden Triggs, Nathan White, Daniel Perrin, Toby Smith.

Reserves: Ben May, Sona Taumalolo, Aled De Malmanche, Craig Clarke, Isaac Ross, Scott Waldrom, Steven Setephano, Taniela Moa, Mike Delany, Dwayne Sweeney, Save Tokula, Tim Nanai-Williams, Ahsee Tuala.

Can't wait to see Tana back in the Super Rugby....not so many AB's in Waikato.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The big wild card with the Blues is the coaching panel. I thought that Lam didn't get anywhere near enough out of the squad as he should have last season.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The big wild card with the Blues is the coaching panel. I thought that Lam didn't get anywhere near enough out of the squad as he should have last season.

I have a lot of time for Pat Lam. He took AUckland to 2 NPC titles and 3 finals from memory. That was with some fairly un-recognised players. I think he had a few injuries last season that he struggled to handle but I think he's the best the Blues have had since the Henry years of 1996, 1997 and 2003.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah the Blues look good on paper but can they convert that to the field? They are notoriously flaky, and some of the players in that side, while classy, can be hot and cold (most of the backline).

Saying that I would back them to make the top 6 and give the title a shake provided they aren't ravaged by injury.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Am I the only one here who thinks Lachie Munro is probably the best 10 in the Blues squad?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Am I the only one here who thinks Lachie Munro is probably the best 10 in the Blues squad?

I think this could be Brett's break-through year. Or maybe I'm just praying it is....lol. 1st-five has been so hard to fill since Carlos left. I'm still bitter the Blues backed Lavea ahead of Spencer.

If Pat Lam can get the island boys going well in the proverbial top 2 inches - kinda like Kaino and Mealamu - then we'll be in for not just some wins but some pretty exciting rugby.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
I'm hoping to see a bit more of Jared Payne this year. Hopefully the move will get him some more game time.

Reactions: Ash

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
One of these years the Blues are going to play to the ability of their player roster and everyone will have to watch out.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree about Payne. When I've seen him, he's been pretty cracking. Thought he deserved more game time than he got at the Crusaders, but geez, the Crusaders got a handy replacement in Dagg.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Blues problem has always been there defence, they can easily rack up the points. Especially early capitulation. eg. against the Waratahs and Stormers. Wonder if they've finally improved it.

Stu Wilsons Gloves

Stan Wickham (3)
I reckon the Blues will go pretty well this year, i will be interested to see how young Matt Laumanu will go, he scored 2 hatricks in the NPC last year for Harbour playing number 8. very big unit, with plenty of pace.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
An interesting blog post from Pat Lam:

The Hurricanes game was a good finish to a successful week in camp in Northland. During the game a lot of the systems the players had been working on over the week came off and we shot out to a 24-0 lead, but I suppose one area we’ve got to continue to improve on are the little mistakes and some lapses in concentration. We gave away some soft tries in both our pre-season games but an area we did improve on was our breakdown which wasn’t as good in the Highlanders match but we certainly stepped things up against the Hurricanes. It was good to give the All Blacks 40 minutes under their belts and we’ll be looking to give them more time this week against the Chiefs.

Part of our camp last week was in establishing the leadership group of the Blues. In our strategy group we have our captain Keven Mealamu, Ali Williams and Daniel Braid, and in the backs Stephen Brett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister and Jared Payne. Then we have our defence group which focuses solely on defence and is headed by Benson Stanley, Jerome Kaino and Alby Mathewson.

All of those guys are on-field only, and in the off-field leadership group we have Kevvie as the chairman, John Afoa, Tony Woodcock, Joe Rokocoko, Anthony Boric and Brad Mika. What we did differently this year is that I asked players to apply for certain positions that were available and Tom McCartney, Chris Lowrey, Tevita Mailau and Filo Paulo all stepped forward to apply for positions and they were interviewed by the coaches, John Afoa and Keven Mealamu. The questions they were asked were ‘why do you want to be part of the group?’ and ‘what can you bring to the group if you were successful?’ and they all interviewed well so they’re now part of that group. We have portfolios where guys can choose to look after certain aspects of the team - these include a media portfolio including social media, community and team culture as well as the team schedule.

The Chiefs game this week is the ideal game to have because even during the pre-season there’s still a rivalry between the Chiefs and the Blues – it’s the local derby and they have certainly tested us in the contact area over the years so it’s an area we want to keep improving on.

The weekend off after the Hurricanes match has meant a shorter week to the Chiefs so preparation has involved shorter, more intense training sessions and we’ve named quite a strong side. While it’s not necessarily the team which will start against the Crusaders, we’re getting close to it so combinations are crucial.

There have been a number of changes to the backline throughout the pre-season, with many of the boys switching from their preferred positions to play either on the wing or in the midfield. Behind every one of those changes there’s an objective for the individual and also for the team. Even though all these players have played at the next level it’s good to mix it up a bit and see how those combinations work and that will help us as the season progresses where it’s difficult to experiment too much - it will give us an idea of what’s the best mix and the best combination depending on who we’re playing, where we’re playing and what our injury status is.

The biggest disappointment of the year so far has been the loss of lock Liaki Moli because of his shoulder injury; he’ll be having surgery soon and should make it back in time for the provincial season. The bonus is that he’s young and he’s got time on his side but he was so determined to succeed this year and was doing really well in the pre-season and it’s a big disappointment for him. But as I said to him, these are the times that actually make you stronger and he’s got Ali Williams there as a role model and a testament to that and it’s an opportunity for James King who’s been doing well in the pre-season to step up into the full squad. In an ironic twist of fate, it was James King who was called into the Wider Training Group last year but got injured, then Ali Williams was injured and Filo Paulo got the opportunity and came through to the full squad, so it just shows that through persistence, if you keep doing the hard work your opportunity could come around again so James is pretty happy to be in the squad.

This week we’ve also had a couple of niggles with halfbacks Toby Morland and Chris Smylie – it’s nothing serious but with only Alby Mathewson in there Auvasa Faleali’i will step onto the bench this week and Northland halfback Ryan Caine will be on standby with the Wider Training Group in case we need cover.

Just a heads-up that we’ve got a number of community events coming up over the weekend. We’ve got the Blues Open Day down at Okahu Bay on Sunday – the entire team will be down there to set up and run some drills that we actually do during training so it’s a chance to get a first-hand taste of the type of training drills the guys go through and get right up alongside some of your heroes. I’d encourage everyone to come on down, meet the team and get your free poster signed; it’s always a fun day not just for youngsters but for the whole family as well.

Also on Saturday some of the Blues boys will be out at the Otara Spinal Unit playing Wheelchair Rugby as part of the “Show off Day” – a one day event that includes a mouth painting exhibition, disabled sports exhibitions plus a range of service providers of disability information. The purpose is to help recently spinal injured patients have an understanding and appreciation of what can be achieved despite suffering a serious injury. Keven Mealamu, Joe Rokocoko, Jerome Kaino, Isaia Toeava and John Afoa among others will be going along so if you’re in the area be sure to stop by and check it out.

Thanks again for your continued support, it’s great to see some of the positive comments you’ve been leaving on the website and if you do have any specific questions please leave them below and I’ll try to answer them next week.

I hope to see you all down in Pukekohe tomorrow night cheering on the Blues.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If McAlister or Brett fire that Blues team will be amazing. I don't feel either of them fired in 2010 though but we know they both can.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
An interesting blog post from Pat Lam:

That's a seriously well thought out and open response by the coach. Most coaches would rather eat Tofu than talk about their team in such an in-depth, open, albeit positive, way.

Status
Not open for further replies.