• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bokke vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Steyn could get better and better, he certainly has the talent. Up north may not be the place to hone his skills though - he doesn't need his attempts at 60m drop goals validated - they come off infrequently and waste good possession IMHO. The main thing holding him back, I think, has been his attitude (seems to be too used to being the biggest, best kid in the team rather than part of it). I'd love to see who'd win a sook-face competition between him and Barnes.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PB, Blue and the other Bok followers on the board, is Luke "the Puke" Watson still a pariah?

I guess he is a pariah in many people's opinion but he has so much history that he will likely never be picked again. Playing well I believe but he would win the best player award in the GP and strill not make the bok setup.

Lovely bloke though. All class. Dinkum sort of a fella. Just my kinda guy. Love him to bits.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He is fit and in the squad. HE is a Puppet darling and he is back in Sa and has resigned so Paarl will forgive him :)

He should not start a test though and should be backup at 12 and 14 for now.
oops, my bad, thought he was still injured. I assumed Paarl would forgive the Golden Child!!!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Steyn could get better and better, he certainly has the talent. Up north may not be the place to hone his skills though - he doesn't need his attempts at 60m drop goals validated - they come off infrequently and waste good possession IMHO. The main thing holding him back, I think, has been his attitude (seems to be too used to being the biggest, best kid in the team rather than part of it). I'd love to see who'd win a sook-face competition between him and Barnes.

I saw four games he played up North and I thought he did well. Three were at 12 and one at 15.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I really don't get the SA hype around F Steyn. Aside from a couple of 50m drop-goals and some 60m penalties against the ABs last season, what has he done? He doesn't offer much in attack, kicking aside. He seems to me to be little more than a poor back-rower with a huge boot. Yet the Saffas seem convinced he's far and away the best fullback in the world. Could someone clue me in, because I'm genuinely confused here.

Actually JJJ who would you pick as Bok 15 and why?

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Poitrenaud ; Clerc, Marty, Mermoz, Rougerie ; (o) Trinh-Duc, (m) Parra ; Lauret, Bonnaire, Dusautoir (cap.) ; Millo-Chluski, Nallet ; Mas, Szarzewski, Domingo.

Remplaçants : Guirado, Poux, Pierre, Picamoles, Yachvili, Skrela, Andreu.

This is the official team with a new guy as a flanker, Wenceslas Lauret from Biarritz.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually JJJ who would you pick as Bok 15 and why?

I'm not saying I wouldn't pick him at 15 if I were a Bok selector. It seems to be a spot where the options are all relatively weak. I'm just wondering why he seems to be held in such universally high regard in SA (or since Hamilton at least -- can't remember him getting talked up all that much prior). When he isn't kicking the leather off the ball (rarely) he's heading straight into the nearest contact, from what I've seen.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PB, Blue and the other Bok followers on the board, is Luke "the Puke" Watson still a pariah?
Dankie Blou, agree with you. Boet I dont understand what you mean, if its a Doos I'll agree

Meanwhile the Haan team:

Poitrenaud ; Clerc, Marty, Mermoz, Rougerie ; (o) Trinh-Duc, (m) Parra ; Lauret, Bonnaire, Dusautoir (cap.) ; Millo-Chluski, Nallet ; Mas, Szarzewski, Domingo.

Remplaçants : Guirado, Poux, Pierre, Picamoles, Yachvili, Skrela, Andreu

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry see its already up now.

Blou I dont know if Jean will be pick, to answer Cyc question, as a big as a Jean fan or biased I am, I wont pick him at the moment above de Jongh. Juan is a complete different player and I like his defending work with Mossie (Jac Fourie) at the moment. I knew when they get stuck in that Welsch lot they'll struggle and we will need a strong defensive effort in the French test. I dont mind if either Juan or Meisiekind (Olivier) get picked for this test but they'll have to be very good in defense.

Anyway the team will be announced shortly but dont be surprise to se Pie Eater there.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not saying I wouldn't pick him at 15 if I were a Bok selector. It seems to be a spot where the options are all relatively weak. I'm just wondering why he seems to be held in such universally high regard in SA (or since Hamilton at least -- can't remember him getting talked up all that much prior). When he isn't kicking the leather off the ball (rarely) he's heading straight into the nearest contact, from what I've seen.

He has always been a little bit overhyped but on the whole he has been good. Don't forget that he stepped into the 12 jersey in the RWC and did a job. You are right that he always tries to run through the defense.

Our best 15 for a short bit was Conrad Jantjes but he is made of matchsticks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty much a Brute/Stormers team
Springboks vs France - Newlands, Cape Town, Saturday 12 June, 2010

15 Zane Kirchner (Vodacom Bulls) – 5 caps
14 Gio Aplon (Vodacom Stormers) – 1 cap
13 Jaque Fourie (Vodacom Stormers) – 55 caps
12 Wynand Olivier (Vodacom Bulls) – 27 caps
11 Bryan Habana (Vodacom Stormers) – 57 caps
10 Morné Steyn (Vodacom Bulls) – 12 caps
9 Ricky Januarie (Vodacom Stormers) – 41 caps
8 Pierre Spies (Vodacom Bulls) – 28 caps
7 Francois Louw (Vodacom Stormers) – 1 cap
6 Schalk Burger (Vodacom Stormers) – 55 caps
5 Victor Matfield (Vodacom Bulls) – 93 caps
4 Danie Rossouw (Vodacom Bulls) – 47 caps
3 BJ Botha (Ulster) – 20 caps
2 John Smit (The Sharks, Capt) – 94 caps
1 Gurthrö Steenkamp (Vodacom Bulls) – 22 caps

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle (Vodacom Bulls) – 9 caps
17 Jannie du Plessis (Sharks) – 13 caps
18 Flip van der Merwe (Vodacom Bulls) – uncapped
19 Dewald Potgieter (Vodacom Bulls) - 2 caps
20 Ruan Pienaar (Sharks) – 37 caps
21 Juan de Jongh (Vodacom Stormers) – 1 cap
22 Jean de Villiers (Vodacom Western Province) – 55 caps

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Januarie.

*sigh*

This is a typical Puppet reaction. It's childish. People question him playing Janaurie and he goes screw you, I'll show you I'll play him.

Incodentally I agre with him Januarie was not bad against Wales. Did the basics well but he is not the long term option. He is colored though so there you go.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Understand Pienaar had flu during the week and maybe the reason for his bench start. Anyway myself think if we could have FdP in 9 it would have been a class Bok side. Obvious Juan Smith, Bakkies and Brussouw still absent.

Just holding tumbs we can get a Bokke win with Meisiekind and Mossie, we lost 4 tests in the past with them as a combo for the Bokke and hope they'll settle the score this time around.

We need to knock those Garlic Eaters and hard. The one team I still have worries at the moment.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm liking Parra more and more, and he said what everyone was thinking:

Beating 'Boks a rhythm thing, says Parra
BAPTISTE PACE
June 10, 2010 - 11:19AM
AFP

If France are to defeat South Africa on Saturday then they will have to manage the rhythm of the game, according to scrum-half Morgan Parra.

The 21-year-old has had a memorable season, being one of the inspirations behind France's Grand Slam and then being an integral part of Clermont's historic victory in the Top 14 final, their first in 11 finals.

However, Parra is keen that his memorable year carries on for the Tests against the Springboks and then Argentina.

He acknowledges that the French will have to be at their best to maintain a winning sequence over South Africa that dates back to June 25, 2005, especially as the hosts warmed-up for the test with a 34-31 victory over Wales in Cardiff last Saturday.

"The key is to match them (the South Africans) in the areas of aggression and combativeness," said Parra.

"They are very good at keeping the ball, and using up time and also gaining the advantage line.

"If we are able to make our presence felt in the tackle and are aggressive in defence, our own game will come into place little by little.

"We saw that during the Six Nations: how we are good at counter-attacking and when we put our game into place we are good," he added.

Parra said the French had to avoid turnovers.

"The Welsh did have a lot of rhythm but they weren't able to keep the ball," said Parra, who moved to Clermont only last summer from Bourgoin.

"That allowed the 'Boks to counter-attack decisively on two occasions. It is imperative to impose this rhythm but also know to use it.

"We will not be able to use up all our box of tricks, but managing the flow of the game and above all keeping the ball under threat of losing 80 metres.

"It will be difficult but we are capable of doing that."

Parra, who proved a more than effective replacement points kicker for Clermont when Australian fly-half Brock James lost his confidence towards the end of the season, said the fact that star Springbok scrum-half Fourie du Preez wasn't playing on Saturday would not change the hosts' style.

"That will not change their tactics one jot," said Parra, scorer of 11 of Clermont's points in their 19-6 win over Perpignan in the Top 14 final.

"The only positive thing for us, is that Ricky Januarie who we faced when we played Ospreys is less of an attacking player, and less unpredictable than du Preez.

"There might be less movement around him but Januarie is also capable of carrying the ball. He is a bit like a pitbull, inverted commas, because he is ... fat."

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
2mcx09c.jpg

Boet you may like it, as you can see Januarie has change his diet to pop corn and never a good idea to start throwing personal insults to your opponent, specially the skollie type. You may end up with a bit of spit in the face.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone else excited about this game? The best team of the Southern Hemisphere vs best of the North. It should be good to see these two teams with similar strategies battle it out. Big heavyweight bout.

IMO, this game next year will be in NZ and the silverware will be the William Webb Ellis Cup.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bloody hell what a hiding. I only watched the 1st half but the Boks looked awesome.

That Francois Louw is a beast, he is scary. 114kg openside that scavengers as good as anyone this Springbok machine just keeps getting bigger & better.

I know Pocock is a very powerful player but Louw just monsters players like rag dolls.

O

OZGOD

Bloody hell what a hiding. I only watched the 1st half but the Boks looked awesome.

That Francois Louw is a beast, he is scary. 114kg openside that scavengers as good as anyone this Springbok machine just keeps getting bigger & better.

I know Pocock is a very powerful player but Louw just monsters players like rag dolls.

Yea what are they feeding them in Jaapieland eh. Raw Cape Buffalo meat or something?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Disco, the second half was less awesome, but all over by then. There were a couple of things that stood out as potential ways to trouble the Bokke (not saying that Aus will necessarily be able to do anything about them!!). Several of their backs defend so far over the advantage line that they almost have to run backwards to be in front of the oppo at times - this leaves some juicy holes for a good, flat long passer. The Bokke scrum varied between looking like they were getting mullered, to not bad - interestingly looked better with John Smit off. If we had a decent front row back (I know we probably won't) it could be interesting. The ABs might bother them though.
Their rolling maul is more a snaking maul - it is about 6 m long with pairs of players one behind another, and unless they detach from the defence I cannot see how to get remotely near the ball carrier. Any referee types here know whether it is legal to have that many "rows" of men in front of the ball - I can't see why it isn't, but it hardly seems in the spirit of the game as a contest.
SA will again be the team to beat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.