• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ouch - I look forward to the inevitable aggregator that consolidates all streaming services into one and we end up with Foxtel again.

I think we will go the other way first unfortunately - I can see the large movie studios going the same was as Disney and isolating their products on a private subscription (look at all the original content Netflix now produces, they can see it coming as well).

Maybe even some of the larger market sports such as NBA, Premier League Football and NFL who already have their own platforms could look to push people harder into their own personal subscriptions.

The 'golden age' of streaming is upon us whether we like it or not, hell I'm about to pay likely $10 a month to watch club rugby!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think we will go the other way first unfortunately - I can see the large movie studios going the same was as Disney and isolating their products on a private subscription (look at all the original content Netflix now produces, they can see it coming as well).

Maybe even some of the larger market sports such as NBA, Premier League Football and NFL who already have their own platforms could look to push people harder into their own personal subscriptions.

The 'golden age' of streaming is upon us whether we like it or not, hell I'm about to pay likely $10 a month to watch club rugby!
But it's $10 that will give you access to 10-11 games a week from the read of it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My understanding is that the European tour rights are sold seperately

Correct and recently they have been on Bein.

My current personal situation is that I have Kayo, Stan and Netflix. I do use Kayo for some things other than rugby but it's only because it is there, I'd probably trial life without it and resubscribe for the month of the Spring tour if necessary.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What is the current Shute Shield video production value like? With the QPR it's all streamed free on Youtube currently with one game a week getting commentary and all games filmed on a single camera, I believe.

I assume if they're turning it all into a product which is paid for, they'll be increasing the production values?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What is the current Shute Shield video production value like? With the QPR it's all streamed free on Youtube currently with one game a week getting commentary and all games filmed on a single camera, I believe.

I assume if they're turning it all into a product which is paid for, they'll be increasing the production values?

I doubt it

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Its pretty niche. Club rugby is way better to actually attend.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I doubt it

That will annoy me, and I reckon quite a few QLD based club rugby fans. I quite enjoying watching bits and pieces of all the Youtube games on a Sunday arvo from across the round. If I have to pay for that and I still only get one fixed camera, with no commentary or replays, that sucks.

Reactions: dru

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
so this line from the press release

inbound Tests for Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina

would imply that all tests held in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina are included - so Lions 21 in South Africa is on 9/Stan (provided it goes ahead)? Others read it the same way?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nine has the right to do with the matches what it likes, but I'd suggest it's unlikely wallabies games will be punted to the second channel / Stan, because TV has changed. Ten years ago a low end Wallabies game would be outrated by a Saturday night movie like Jurassic Park. The reality is no one watches something like a FTA Saturday night movie anymore with streaming, and the Wallabies would outrate whatever else they can put on there. So I'd be confident they'd keep it on the main channel

Havent we got anti siphoning regulations? Thought all Wallaby matches played in AUs had to be FTA

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I feel for my old man, he struggles with technology big time. I think using Stan would be one bridge too far for him to handle, shame, watching footy is one of the few things he's still able to do

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Its pretty niche. Club rugby is way better to actually attend.

We need the detail on Club Rugby ASAP.

Iam guessing Nine were forced to pick it up to stop Foxtel picking it up for next to nothing and then having a competitior.

I would have liked to have seen Foxtel with the Club rights

At one stage Foxtel were going to broadcast every game - not sure what Nine have proposed. And I am disappointed if we are losing our 1 game live on FTA of SS. I would have thought the SRU would have insisted on that

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Unfortunately not - I'm a big NBA fan and my partner follows the NRL, both of which are heavily tied to Kayo at the moment.

Also recently got Disney+ for my son so hopefully this Stan Sports is included with regular Stan to make it worthwhile or super cheap.

Fetch - Has NBA and Stan Netflixs Amazon apps and their working on Disney + can't help you with the NRL though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
sooooo 7's are where?

As with the u20s and RWCs those are World Rugby's rights. Up to them who they sell it to.

Not sure what it means for Foxsports' relationship with them.

Also whilst I think this is positive for the code. It's also pay-walling Shute Shield. That's a shame.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
A couple of interesting little nuggets in this news:
The new partnership with Australia’s leading media and entertainment company will also see unrivalled support and promotion of Australian Rugby across its blue-chip holdings in radio, newspaper publications, digital media, streaming services and free-to-air television broadcasting.

This is why I have always thought the Channel 9/Stan option made the most sense - the cross promotion or "contra" value of aligned network promotion to the general public would be very attractive to RA and once you put a dollar value on it would likely outweigh the Fox deal. If you look at the 9 Entertainment business model they are very good at flogging their own content across the spectrum (Domain, NRL blanket coverage, Fairfax content on 9 etc). McLennan would have been all over this given he was at the other end of the Supercars deal with Ch10 years ago. Now it is up to RA to produce enough compelling content for Ch9/Fairfax to run with. The other interesting parallel with Supercars was that it involved private equity investment which Super Rugby has toyed with for a while and has a precedent for in the Western Force and Rebels (albeit private money not PE).

And...
From 2022, Rugby Australia will work with Nine Entertainment Co. in establishing new assets, like State of Union as well as Men’s and Women’s Sevens tournaments.

I think this can only be a good thing. Whether you support the State of the Union idea or not, providing exposure to new tournaments (eg: national 7's) will bring in other sponsors, especially involving female participation which is important to corporate sponsors and national funding.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I feel for my old man, he struggles with technology big time. I think using Stan would be one bridge too far for him to handle, shame, watching footy is one of the few things he's still able to do

His going to get a free to air super rugby match now. But I guess if his on Foxtel he might not like it

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
As with the u20s and RWCs those are World Rugby's rights. Up to them who they sell it to.

Not sure what it means for Foxsports' relationship with them.

Also whilst I think this is positive for the code. It's also pay-walling Shute Shield. That's a shame.

World Rugby will just go with whoever gives them the most money, more than likely meaning Fox/Kayo