• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It will be interesting what happens to subscriptions once the Rugby is over for the year.

What sports will take their place and have fans who wont mind outlaying money to watch their sport?

I would love it is STAN got the rights to the UCI cycling from around the world, it used to be on Eurosport but they dropped it.

IIRC Stan is has intentions to add tennis in to the sports package: Wimbledon and Roland Garros being some of it. I would presume that the Rugby model was test that has yield better than expected results. Fingers crossed they add more sports - a Eurosport's tie up would be awesome!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It will be interesting what happens to subscriptions once the Rugby is over for the year.

What sports will take their place and have fans who wont mind outlaying money to watch their sport?

I would love it is STAN got the rights to the UCI cycling from around the world, it used to be on Eurosport but they dropped it.

There isn’t really that much down time at the end of the season, assuming the EOYT happens. Much less than the other footy codes at least. Maybe some penny pinchers will cancel their sub for a couple of months, but I’m looking forward to scrolling through the catalogue of old games when I get the chance!

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The killer thing about the Stan/Nine combo is that it's the perfect design for Rugby's structural content. In the past FTA broadcasters would say well one game a week is actually strong enough to make it on TV, but the others are not. Foxtel would then say we'll pay top dollar but we want all the games, and in fact the big game is actually what's most valuable, so selling one game a week to FTA wasn't possible.

With 9 having a streaming service you can get that big game on FTA and then have the rest on streaming. The FTA drives in casual watchers and the fans pay for the rest.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Funnily enough people from Ireland, UK, USA are saying Stan is superior to their local products and they watch it using a VPN. Hopefully Stan rides this wave of coverage and secures a few more rights to make it a truly global option for everyone.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Funnily enough people from Ireland, UK, USA are saying Stan is superior to their local products and they watch it using a VPN. Hopefully Stan rides this wave of coverage and secures a few more rights to make it a truly global option for everyone.

The massive problem with rugby/sport over there is the amount of subscriptions you need to cover everything. In the UK and Ireland there is well over 100 sports channels now, if you want to watch everything. SKY, Bein, rugby pass, EirSport, Virgin, BTSport, Eurosport etc. It's hard to follow and adds up in cost, Stan sport having the rights to all forms of rugby is making it easier to follow.

I stayed up on Sunday night watching Leinster get knocked out of Europe, was not able to do that the last few years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It would seem likely that if the popularity of watching from overseas with a VPN increases then other rights holders would put pressure on Stan to shut them out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

That would do me.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The massive problem with rugby/sport over there is the amount of subscriptions you need to cover everything. In the UK and Ireland there is well over 100 sports channels now, if you want to watch everything. SKY, Bein, rugby pass, EirSport, Virgin, BTSport, Eurosport etc. It's hard to follow and adds up in cost, Stan sport having the rights to all forms of rugby is making it easier to follow.

I stayed up on Sunday night watching Leinster get knocked out of Europe, was not able to do that the last few years.

How'd you do that? Does Stan have rights to the Heineken Cup? I thought Stan still had limited rights. Only: Top League, Aus Super + Club, Super Ao + now the Rainbow Cup?

Are you a Leinster man btw? Probably balances out supporting the Rebels.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I am also liking the on demand as watch games mid week (club, overseas games) when wide and daughter out on main tv (rest of family not rugby followers which means often watching on a laptop games)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
CH9 news in Brisbane had a Reds story, it is a shame that Wally Lewis ended the story with "go the maroons"

Yet another reason why the Reds are better in Red uniforms

dru

Tim Horan (67)
CH9 news in Brisbane had a Reds story, it is a shame that Wally Lewis ended the story with "go the maroons"

Yet another reason why the Reds are better in Red uniforms

I'm completely cool with the Qld icon, W Lewis, supporting the Q reds, with "go the maroons". We forget Wally started in rugby. We forget our traditional colours, stolen by NRL.

There is utterly no shame, nothing but absolute vigour, in Wally supporting the Rugby final.

Our natural colour is maroon.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It would seem likely that if the popularity of watching from overseas with a VPN increases then other rights holders would put pressure on Stan to shut them out.

Yep or Stan would have to do same as Rugby Pass, if your payment comes from outside Aus they would block you.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You can skip fucking around with shitty inbuilt software by buying a $40 Chromecast and slinging it from your phone. It's what I do, never have an issue.

'Smart' TV's aren't.

Both my Samsungs handle native apps with ease, but they're less than a year old.

The issue is once a TV gets out past 3 years it won't necessarily cater to the latest updates of apps as well because they're built to a price. Similar to phones or computers.

Or get the $99 Chromecast with Google TV which comes with a remote and lets you log into all the apps through the TV so you no longer need to cast.

The standard Chromecast is a small box of wet shit compared to Chromecast with Google TV for the reasons Braveheart mentions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
what happened there? Not sure I know this story

A story about Queensland that Reg doesn't know?

giphy.gif