• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ok. That makes sense. Still. Not a massive factor in player development I would have thought.

Then, umm. What's the point of club rugby? RA would be better served in resurrecting the NRC and running it as a double round robin as a means of providing the franchises with a stronger pool of players to select from.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Then, umm. What's the point of club rugby?

Ask myself that all the time. Here's how I see it:

If a kid starts playing at a local "village" club, and is good enough, he's more likely than not to enter the schools system.
If he's good enough there, he gets identified for rep honours and so on and so forth to State and perhaps Gold pathway.
Once that happens, he's probably going into a pro setup somewhere, and his affiliation with a "Premier" Club is just lip service.
Likely never go back to their "local" club, even if it has seniors, until he's well and truly done with his career.

So, we come back to your question - one I've been asking for ages: what is the point behind club rugby?

At amateur level, we've got Subbies which fulfils the majority of social need. Tick.

The Premier Clubs are running 1 x Grade and 1 x Colts ostensibly as development of semi or pro players, even though the standard isn't rigorous enough, and all the other grades are there as a meal ticket to help the club keep going. So Premier Rugby thinks it is grassroots, because of the meal ticket players, and promotes itself as such. Really it is a bastard hybrid with aspirations of both pro and amateur.

Like a lot of things in rugby land, the level of misalignment and waste is staggering.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah. That’s obviously a little different to Qld Premier Rugby. But I think the role of club rugby is purely to provide a participation opportunity.

As Fitzy suggests the participation side of the equation can be covered by the suburban clubs. Which is where I think any significant degree of investment should be going to support and grow the existing clubs as well as look to grow new clubs. From an NSW perspective, then an academy program with an active schedule between the locations that splits Sydney into 4 alongside focusing on the likes of the Hunter and Illawarra would probably be a better options to compliment the schools system.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah. That’s obviously a little different to Qld Premier Rugby. But I think the role of club rugby is purely to provide a participation opportunity.

Subbies in QLD is much smaller than Premier tho, right?

Sydney Premier Rugby under SRU is 12 clubs with a total of 48 Grade and 36 Colts sides (in theory). QPR has womens as well and often extends down into juniors. Premier Clubs in Sydney do juniors at rep level but leave it to the village clubs to bring those players through.

Sydney Subbies is nearly 50 clubs with a total of about 120 Grade and 24-30 Colts sides.

If the SRU actually played it smart, they'd split off their pro ambitions and make a competition all their own with the top 30ish players at their club. The rest engage in promotion/relegation OR feeder arrangements with Subbies. The delineation between amateur and pro is happening anyway. Might as well formalise it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Subbies in QLD is much smaller than Premier tho, right?

Sydney Premier Rugby under SRU is 12 clubs with a total of 48 Grade and 36 Colts sides (in theory). QPR has womens as well and often extends down into juniors. Premier Clubs in Sydney do juniors at rep level but leave it to the village clubs to bring those players through.

Sydney Subbies is nearly 50 clubs with a total of about 120 Grade and 24-30 Colts sides.

If the SRU actually played it smart, they'd split off their pro ambitions and make a competition all their own with the top 30ish players at their club. The rest engage in promotion/relegation OR feeder arrangements with Subbies. The delineation between amateur and pro is happening anyway. Might as well formalise it.

The counter argument to what you've suggested, which I agree with by the way, is the idea that it's the presence of the grade players in the stands that help drive revenues and that without them they wouldn't be able to turn a profit. Which is frankly a little BS in my opinion. Firstly, if it were just players in attendance the crowds wouldn't crack a couple of hundred a game. And second, whether they want to admit it or not the reliance on past and present players doesn't make a strong case for their product. They need to be able to draw an audience beyond those that have played for the club if they want to create a sustainable semi-pro/low level professional competition.

If they truly thought they had a solid entertainment product they'd look to do as you've suggested. Honestly, I would prefer to see someone set out criteria for a national club competition. They all have some degree of ambition in that regard anyway. So give them the pathway. If they can meet it then they can move on while those who can't can actually become actual grassroots clubs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If you're bored for rugby, Japan Top League One starts today, Sungoliath vs Brave Lupas broadcast on Stan at 5:30 AEDT has some big name players:

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
So, around 5 weeks now until the scheduled kickoff of Super Rugby.

Most teams fully back in pre-season, although disrupted due to isolations etc.

I'm hoping we get some fresh content from the Stan crew in the coming weeks, a bit of a 2021 review and some 2022 insights. It will be good to get some momentum leading into 2022. Fingers crossed we get to kickoff on time without issues...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not directly 'rugby' related, but interesting to see Stan are also shifting into Pay-Per-View with a new product called 'Stan EVENT'
May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'SBW PROMOTIONS & GREEN MACHINE BOXING PRESENTS V TURF WAR SONNY BILL BARRY WILLIAMS HALL Live & Exclusive Wednesday, March 23 Stan. EVENT PAY-PER-VIEW'

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting.

I'm not the target market for this event, but I guess it makes sense considering they've got Sonny Bill involved with the rugby stuff.

I'll be interested to see how much money they drop into the production values for something like this. The general consensus amongst my mates was the Gallen v Lusick card which was charged out at $60 a pop by Main Event, was very underwhelming and frankly a ripoff.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They're charging $50 for this one, personally i find some of the undercard fights more entertaining

Last edited: