• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just on that, can anyone with a 4K TV and 4K Stan account notice a difference when the stream is supposedly in 4K (to 1080p HD)? I cannot for sport but for TV Shows/Movies, it's definitely noticeable.

You're unlikely to be seeing any fully 4K sport productions... so the signal is being upconverted somewhere along the path.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Generally, just one or two talking heads at the ground to grab interviews/sideline commentary and everything goes through the studio hubs in Melbourne...

There's some real savings in not having to fly people all over the country, and COVID certainly helped push for new methods.
Yep, even a couple of people at game I like to help give a feel. Not a big thing just I prefer some to be at game itself.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Just on that, can anyone with a 4K TV and 4K Stan account notice a difference when the stream is supposedly in 4K (to 1080p HD)? I cannot for sport but for TV Shows/Movies, it's definitely noticeable.
Well yeah because the most Kayo normally allows with out dropping out is 720p. It’s fucking shit

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, I can tell the difference, it’s noticeable.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure how that's relevant? I'm comparing

Sport
Stan 1080p -> 4K not noticeable

Movies
Stan 1080p -> 4K very noticeable
Not all 4K (and 1080p, and 720p, etc.) is alike – there are ranges/bands of bitrates that qualify for 4K, 1080p, etc.; live broadcasts are probably transmitted at a lower bitrate than tv/movies, so even though it's technically 4K, it's not as crisp as it could be.

The other issue with relying on international feeds, as Stan has with the Argies games, is that they're at the mercy of whatever the host provides – i.e. it could be of a differing quality to their own broadcast capabilities.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Stan 4K specific stuff is surely in 4K? It's only ever Wallabies Tests or a headline tennis match.

It’s being broadcast in 4K, and it’s now likely being filmed in 4K, but somewhere downstream the signal is being downgraded to 1080 and then upconverted for your viewing pleasure…

Broadcasters are slowly catching up to the technology available.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not all 4K (and 1080p, and 720p, etc.) is alike – there are ranges/bands of bitrates that qualify for 4K, 1080p, etc.; live broadcasts are probably transmitted at a lower bitrate than tv/movies, so even though it's technically 4K, it's not as crisp as it could be.

The other issue with relying on international feeds, as Stan has with the Argies games, is that they're at the mercy of whatever the host provides – i.e. it could be of a differing quality to their own broadcast capabilities.
That makes perfect sense - thanks.

Basically, 4K purely for sport isn’t worth it yet.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I read today that the AFL are underwhelmed by the $500M p.a. bid which Channel 10 and Paramount+ put forward for their next television deal.

Apparently they are looking for closer to $600M p.a. to move away from the current providers, Foxtel and Channel 7.

It would be interesting if the AFL jump ship, would mean Fox are pretty much tethered exclusively to the NRL as their core product. And I have heard ESPN are going to enter their own ESPN+ product here which would likely take NFL and NBA back.

It would probably be a good outcome for Rugby. I like what Stan are doing, but if Fox have money available in the next few years, they could make a big play for the Australian based RWC, or at least make it a decent bidding war (which it likely would be regardless).
There was talk a while ago that Disney may bring ESPN under their subscription to get back their sports.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There was talk a while ago that Disney may bring ESPN under their subscription to get back their sports.

I wouldn't be mad at that - Disney already gets a workout in our household for the kids programming, I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for some sports.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldn't be mad at that - Disney already gets a workout in our household for the kids programming, I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for some sports.
That might just buckle Kayo if you take the NFL, NBA, College Football, NHL and MLB from them with ESPN.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That might just buckle Kayo if you take the NFL, NBA, College Football, NHL and MLB from them with ESPN.

I wonder if Fox would then partner directly with the NRL to create a standalone product. They could probably still charge $20 a month and people would pay for it, it's not much different to what Stan Sport was offering for Rugby when they launched, the current season and a decent back catalogue.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A short note for Stan, in the off chance they read.

All you have to do guys, at the Wallaby half time, is warn us that a AB/Bok spoiler is coming. Better don't talk about. That is for the second week running, 80 mins of broadcast I won't be watching.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
A short note for Stan, in the off chance they read.

All you have to do guys, at the Wallaby half time, is warn us that a AB/Bok spoiler is coming. Better don't talk about. That is for the second week running, 80 mins of broadcast I won't be watching.
I tweeted stansports last week if they can't even bother to read their own feed, I'm sure they don't read here.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I tweeted stansports last week if they can't even bother to read their own feed, I'm sure they don't read here.

I understand a desire to cover rugby in a rugby broadcast. Nonetheless it is pretty obvious with the broadcast timing, that there would be plenty of viewers who were holding the record button for the earlier match. Pretty disrespectful for those who get up to watch the feed live.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Anyone here understand how streaming systems operate? I had a couple of lock-ups with Stan this and last week. Not really complaining. But I ended up swapping between my lap top and the TV. Consistently the laptop is something like 10s to 15s ahead of the TV stream. Again, not a big issue I'm simply interested.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Anyone here understand how streaming systems operate? I had a couple of lock-ups with Stan this and last week. Not really complaining. But I ended up swapping between my lap top and the TV. Consistently the laptop is something like 10s to 15s ahead of the TV stream. Again, not a big issue I'm simply interested.
Hard to say without knowing the specific devices, but at a guess it's likely that the network hardware in your laptop is significantly better than your TV, so the difference becomes clear when the TV is struggling with a live high quality feed.