• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
how many people are going to actively seek out a fta game though? the ratings for that reflect the interest and are garbage.

Yes club rugby has seen major improvements from having one game a week on ABC. But really who is this product for? Anyone who actually cares about the game would be at their local club/school footy. I suspect with the ease of actually broadcasting these games getting a lot easier over the last 5 years there is progress made towards clubs just streaming the game on youtube, not hard to set up and pay an aspiring commentator $50 to call the game.

It definitely was on at the pubs more than you imply
Completely agree - having one FTA game doesn't matter when no one watches the game, Channel 9 hasn't done anything to promote these fixtures.

I would argue more people that actually watch sport who have been lost to watching other codes jump on their Kayo Sports on a weekend to see the schedule than the boomers that open Free to Air TV.

This is about engaging the current market and setting up for the future.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

This take is 100% where rugby is atm i know its a bit of comedy thrown in but Rugby has turned into this niche sport where we have lost all our casual supporters

I actually liked the point about grass roots, yeah it could always do with more money but its actually okay

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Completely agree - having one FTA game doesn't matter when no one watches the game, Channel 9 hasn't done anything to promote these fixtures.

I would argue more people that actually watch sport who have been lost to watching other codes jump on their Kayo Sports on a weekend to see the schedule than the boomers that open Free to Air TV.

Look, I agree one FTA game is crap - but it's better than having NO FTA games. It does need to be better. Ch 9 won't do better because it's in direct competition with NRL which they also broadcast.

I just don't think going back to Fox who hid Rugby for a decade is the right thing to do.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
In an ideal world, you could find a solution where you are on Fox/Kayo and a FTA network like many of the other sports. EG 1/2 games per week on 7/9/10 and the rest exclusive to Fox/Kayo.

Stan Sport is a barrier as it is not in-venue at the majority of pubs, and casual fans are not watching as a result. It is serving us rusted-ons superbly but it is not allowing the game to grow.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
In an ideal world, you could find a solution where you are on Fox/Kayo and a FTA network like many of the other sports. EG 1/2 games per week on 7/9/10 and the rest exclusive to Fox/Kayo.

Stan Sport is a barrier as it is not in-venue at the majority of pubs, and casual fans are not watching as a result. It is serving us rusted-ons superbly but it is not allowing the game to grow.
If it did go back there - RA would have to insist that the level of production, number of games shown, different shows etc are not reduced in anyway.

But I don't realistically see that happening.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The promotion around Super Rugby Au was certainly bigger than anything Fox had produced since the early days of Super Rugby...

And the French mid week series rated quite well that year.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The promotion around Super Rugby Au was certainly bigger than anything Fox had produced since the early days of Super Rugby...

And the French mid week series rated quite well that year.

lock downs & ppl couldn't do much else remember, Epic series that french one loved it

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's bizarre that people are arguing that going from Foxtel to Stan/9 was a step backwards.

It's an improvement in every way. There is more rugby on FTA, more rugby from more competitions on the subscription platform and a lot more domestic rugby with women's and club rugby being featured strongly.

The ratings on Foxtel were pretty clear that league and AFL fans weren't tuning in to watch rugby just because they had access to it.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

That's on the pub then, the entire process is documented clearly on their website and its "only" $300 per month for most pubs I'd imagine

1695776862408.png

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah there were initial teething issues with Stan's venue access, but that seems to have resolved. If your pub isn't showing it, you're going to the wrong pub

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's bizarre that people are arguing that going from Foxtel to Stan/9 was a step backwards.

It's an improvement in every way. There is more rugby on FTA, more rugby from more competitions on the subscription platform and a lot more domestic rugby with women's and club rugby being featured strongly.

The ratings on Foxtel were pretty clear that league and AFL fans weren't tuning in to watch rugby just because they had access to it.

Agreed, the product from Stan if you're a rugby fan is superior to Foxtel/Kayo. It's an absolute smorgasbord of footy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
League passes aren’t a new thing but teams taking it over is as far as I’m aware.

Thats very reasonable as a 1 off payment.

Quick maffs:

$70 USD ~ $109.30 AUD
$109.30 AUD / 69 games ~$1.59/game
$1.59 times 14 games ~$22.50 AUD per super rugby season

Other teams are doing this as well in the NBA etc.

It's a pretty limited product and is very much linked with the weird broadcasting restrictions that exist in US Sports.

In this example the package shows 69/82 regular season games for people who live within the local TV market. For the Las Vegas Knights this is: "Fans must be located within the team’s television territory – which extends through Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and certain counties in California, Nebraska and Arizona".

Nationally televised games (which will be the other 13/82 games) aren't included in the package (you likely need a basic cable package or access to another streaming service to access the channels that show these games (ESPN etc.)).

Basically teams are deciding not to sell the local rights to a channel that less and less people have access to and instead controlling sales of it directly. It only relates to a portion of the fanbase though.