• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I personally think Kayo/Fox is a better move than having it on Stan. We are talking about one of the biggest subscription bases in Australia. However I do like the idea of some FTA. Perfect world for me would be having FTA offering 1 game a week but that 1 game been the state where the broadcast is sent to. This is what happens in US sports. FTA offers the local team and then needing to subscribe for the remaining games. It even happens here in Aus with AFL, QLD gets different FTA games to what Victoria gets sometimes.

For the record I think Stan has done a great job, however Stan sport doesn’t have a large audience

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I do like the idea of the local game as it does draw more attention. I know I’ve skipped a Force game v the Highlanders because I just don’t care. (Except our Force die hards go off so I enjoy lurking here during it)

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
I personally think Kayo/Fox is a better move than having it on Stan. We are talking about one of the biggest subscription bases in Australia. However I do like the idea of some FTA. Perfect world for me would be having FTA offering 1 game a week but that 1 game been the state where the broadcast is sent to. This is what happens in US sports. FTA offers the local team and then needing to subscribe for the remaining games. It even happens here in Aus with AFL, QLD gets different FTA games to what Victoria gets sometimes.

For the record I think Stan has done a great job, however Stan sport doesn’t have a large audience
This is a great idea

half

Alan Cameron (40)
How to word this without inflaming the more traditional posters. My stance has always been from the late 90's when per team Rugby was the highest paid code per team and per game and had the second best attendance, we needed to develop a National Domestic Competition, as position I held until a couple of years ago, when i said we are no longer strong enough to develop a NDC .

Further I said I don't know what to do anymore as we are right now past a recovery to a much better place.

Having said all this, I just read a US article on big tech, and how they are getting involved in sport, I have copied only part of the article, what stands out for me is totally new competition and the answer just maybe if we can alien Rugby to somehow connect into the newer hhhmmmm say actives or sports, if streaming is the new God then the young are who we need and thats were our investment should be, its clear in the US anyway Football is connecting to the young.

As I said our investment should be aimed at the young,

To the copied bit

"""
The woes of legacy leagues are unlikely to stop tech titans from acquiring even more of them–but Big Tech should be looking at the most popular sports on digital. This wave of new sports, from E-Sports and Robo Sports to Trick Shots and Parkour, are the sports of the future, racking up billions of views from Gen Z males.

Apple scores big with the MLS
In a big move that does look to the digital future, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook and Eddy Cue, SVP of Services, secured exclusive rights to MLS. It’s the one and only traditional sports league that attracts the same demographics as streamers, including Gen Z males. In fact, it has the youngest audience among all legacy leagues."""""

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@half yep I see things going that way with streaming, NZR has set up a streaming platform for future , and think this will happen more with other unions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_9026.jpeg

F1 has embraced the new world

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How to word this without inflaming the more traditional posters. My stance has always been from the late 90's when per team Rugby was the highest paid code per team and per game and had the second best attendance, we needed to develop a National Domestic Competition, as position I held until a couple of years ago, when i said we are no longer strong enough to develop a NDC .

Further I said I don't know what to do anymore as we are right now past a recovery to a much better place.

Having said all this, I just read a US article on big tech, and how they are getting involved in sport, I have copied only part of the article, what stands out for me is totally new competition and the answer just maybe if we can alien Rugby to somehow connect into the newer hhhmmmm say actives or sports, if streaming is the new God then the young are who we need and thats were our investment should be, its clear in the US anyway Football is connecting to the young.

As I said our investment should be aimed at the young,

To the copied bit

"""
The woes of legacy leagues are unlikely to stop tech titans from acquiring even more of them–but Big Tech should be looking at the most popular sports on digital. This wave of new sports, from E-Sports and Robo Sports to Trick Shots and Parkour, are the sports of the future, racking up billions of views from Gen Z males.

Apple scores big with the MLS
In a big move that does look to the digital future, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook and Eddy Cue, SVP of Services, secured exclusive rights to MLS. It’s the one and only traditional sports league that attracts the same demographics as streamers, including Gen Z males. In fact, it has the youngest audience among all legacy leagues."""""
I posted recently about the Las Vegas Golden Knights Ice Hockey team is offering its own platform for $69 per year for all their games. I like the concept for engaging your direct audience. Others will still get a league wide pass but a lot of casuals only want the local side IMO

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I feel like we are getting closer to a Champions League style comp each day. Waugh made some comments in the Roar article about RA losing Crichton (could be from earlier) saying the way we get better is playing more varied teams e.g. South African.

If a champions league comes into play, do Stan retain the rights to stream it because it would likely involve Super teams. Or does that competition hit the open market?

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I remember an article from a couple of years ago that Stan gained nearly 150,000 sport subscribers since it began broadcasting rugby union matches - do the math that 150k x $24 - that's $3.6m per month they'd lose if they dropped rugby.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hah, Doran is taking the absolute piss. Fox demonstrated year on year that they had absolutely no clue how to make the competition appealing the the masses.

Look back on the last decade we had with fox and objectibely, tell me how the coverage changed for the better?

It was the same commentators with the same antics serving up the same lack of enthusiasm.

The more competition we have in the coverage space, the better it is for our game.
When he says knowledge of the industry he is correct. How have they survived as the major player for so long?

They have no interest in growing rugby, but if Stan lose rugby it’s a massive blow for Stan Sports. It also would really hurt Stan’s chances of getting the NRL rights and that is the end game for Fox

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I remember an article from a couple of years ago that Stan gained nearly 150,000 sport subscribers since it began broadcasting rugby union matches - do the math that 150k x $24 - that's $3.6m per month they'd lose if they dropped rugby.

In the case of Stan Sport where it’s a ‘value add’ product, it’s more than just number of users. A key metric they reference in the annual report is average revenue per user and the retention rate of customers that improved.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When he says knowledge of the industry he is correct. How have they survived as the major player for so long?

They have no interest in growing rugby, but if Stan lose rugby it’s a massive blow for Stan Sports. It also would really hurt Stan’s chances of getting the NRL rights and that is the end game for Fox

Yep, procuring the rights to rugby is a cheap way to kill off opposition long term than risk losing additional sports when they next come up.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The amount of subscription services is becoming crazy, sports passes alone have gone crazy. As long as rugby does not believe you can follow the premier league model.

As for the Stan/Fox arguments, when rugby was on Fox you got Super Rugby and Top14, had to pay extra for other channels to get URC, Premiership and Heineken Cup. There was even a season where the Heineken Cup wasn't available at all in Australia. Since then I cracked it with Australian providers and have found alternative ways to watch rugby, I have to admit I enjoy watching the World cup mixing up which broadcaster I use.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People are so quick to forget that for 20+ years while the game was on Foxtel the regular argument was that if the games were on FTA then lots more people would tune in just because they had access to it.

Now we're on Stan where the coverage is a lot better than it ever was on Foxtel and people are arguing we should go back to Foxtel because there are more potential eyeballs that could watch the game because they have access to the platform. We were there for 20 years and it was very clear they didn't watch. Rugby League and AFL fans didn't watch in any meaningful way just because they had access to the channel with rugby on it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now we're on Stan where the coverage is a lot better than it ever was on Foxtel and people are arguing we should go back to Foxtel because there are more potential eyeballs that could watch the game because they have access to the platform.

The Venn diagram of such people and those who believe club rugby is the answer:

1696293104711.png

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Getting more than just the Wallabies games for the RWC ('27) on FTA would be essential. This year, the Optus paywall was the largest criticism of the Women's football WC. Some nights, I wouldn't have minded putting it on in the background, especially when some of the larger teams, e.g. Germany and USA, were playing. If you took the Matilda's success out of the equation, you wouldn't have realised the tournament was on.