• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Its surprising how much peoples opinions vary on commentators.

I think Justin Harrison is good to go - knowledgeable about the game, can talk and passionate Australian without it bleeding into bias.

Drew on Stan was alright, but to be honest all the stories on the GBRA podcast about how he hated training and loved going for midweek drinks before a test gave me the shits. How serious was he about the Wallabies winning?

I think Matt Rodgers, Horwill, Hooper etc were all far better speakers on Stan than Drew.

Morgan Turinui is the pick of the bunch.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Harrison has at times stopped short of giving a proper analysis of a situation which I imagine may stem from his position as CEO of RUPA, not surely there is a level of conflict in some of his analysis.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Funny w@anker but.
I dunno. Maybe it’s the delivery. Didn’t even really like him when he was at the Brumbies. That being said, there’s gotta be people that appeal to a variety of people. I tune them out if I don’t like them. Years of practice with Kearns ;)

Reactions: dru

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Harrison has at times stopped short of giving a proper analysis of a situation which I imagine may stem from his position as CEO of RUPA, not surely there is a level of conflict in some of his analysis.
I also wonder if that is the case sometimes, Sonny Bill seems to struggle with the flow of his commentary. I enjoy Morgan and Merts they have a way of being analytical with being boring. I have been impressed with Mat Rogers when he has been on.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Justin Harrison is better in studio guy then colour commentary to the game. I’ve mentioned it before but his insights into a game are too slow for his pace of the game. We don’t care about your commentary on the last lineout Justin when the ball has already moved hands by hands and is now on the other side of the wing running down the sideline.

As for Drew Mitchell… good riddance. Never was a fan… addition by subtraction.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
- SBW the worst
- Horan a close 2nd, I swear he doesn’t know much about the players.
- Harrison I don’t mind, he’s happy to throw some punches which is what rugby desperately needs
- Mitchell I don’t mind, happy to voice his mind which is what I want
- Turinui the best of the bunch
- SBW is so bad at it's astonishing since they would have no shortage of training since he's been involved with the NRL as well. At this point I just assume he is given a deal by 9 when they got him back to the Roosters like 9 did to stop Joey going to Rugby.
- Horan exists in a world we will not understand. He says things that just don't make sense. Can't help but still like the guy.
- I'd have Harrison in the pre/post match. He doesn't seem great on the in game calling as he shows his colours like Kearns would but in the pre or post he's free to throw the slightly inflammatory barb to get a response and it suits that moment.
- Mitchell should just be a sideline guy. He has a good manner with players but we don't always need the philosophy behind banter.
- I'm not a Turinui fan (I think he's a people pleaser) but a lot of people are fans of him so who am I to judge. Does seem popular amongst the franchises which is a bonus.

- Mat Rogers was quality. Such a talented footballer and for someone considered a League player even with his junior experience he has always had time for Rugby and speaks about enjoying them both.
- Alana Ferguson is the one I think always offers something. She's usually pretty spot on with her analysis.

- Nick McCardle seems a nice guy but he doesn't get it going. Go on 9/Stan, sign Matt Burke from 10. Sports newsreader there but let him undo the top button on some sport coverage. I think he'd be good.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
- Alana Ferguson is the one I think always offers something. She's usually pretty spot on with her analysis.
Alana cops a lot of undue criticism - I won't speculate as to why... - but I feel she's really come into her own in the last season or two. She probably isn't as 'polished' as the others who have been doing it much longer, but as you said, her analysis is usually solid.

Really hoping Hoops and Burke get a more permanent call up. Also very much liked what Horwill's been contributing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hooper was very good. In between 7s tournaments surely he can be involved. Horwill was impressive and he seems like a good person which Rugby need all around.

Hoiles can be interesting but not entertaining at times and he comes across as sour. Think coaching is the goal and it comes across as he's pretty critical in all his analysis.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Its surprising how much peoples opinions vary on commentators.

I think Justin Harrison is good to go - knowledgeable about the game, can talk and passionate Australian without it bleeding into bias.

Drew on Stan was alright, but to be honest all the stories on the GBRA podcast about how he hated training and loved going for midweek drinks before a test gave me the shits. How serious was he about the Wallabies winning?

I think Matt Rodgers, Horwill, Hooper etc were all far better speakers on Stan than Drew.

Morgan Turinui is the pick of the bunch.
I disagree about Harrison - he is a bit hold hands and singalong when it comes to players - being the RUPA boss and all.

He will never be able to be overly critical - I mean they used him in the review FFS. Was he open and honest at the WC etc (like SBW)? Can he even be open and honest when he is the RUPA boss (how can he criticise players) and if RA uses him for independent reviews, how can he publicly voice issues with them and NOT be declared bias in those reviews?

I think the commentators need to be pundits and entertainers with no RA or any other professional affiliations, they need to amp it up a bit.

That's why I liked Rodgers. Horwill was a bit light on - obviously hooper was never going to be vocal because he was negotiating a new contract - morgan is good but still has the oldy goldy wallabies gig.

Its actually why i FINALLY liked sbw - he said what he meant and meant what he said, no filters.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
- SBW is so bad at it's astonishing since they would have no shortage of training since he's been involved with the NRL as well. At this point I just assume he is given a deal by 9 when they got him back to the Roosters like 9 did to stop Joey going to Rugby.
- Horan exists in a world we will not understand. He says things that just don't make sense. Can't help but still like the guy.
- I'd have Harrison in the pre/post match. He doesn't seem great on the in game calling as he shows his colours like Kearns would but in the pre or post he's free to throw the slightly inflammatory barb to get a response and it suits that moment.
- Mitchell should just be a sideline guy. He has a good manner with players but we don't always need the philosophy behind banter.
- I'm not a Turinui fan (I think he's a people pleaser) but a lot of people are fans of him so who am I to judge. Does seem popular amongst the franchises which is a bonus.

- Mat Rogers was quality. Such a talented footballer and for someone considered a League player even with his junior experience he has always had time for Rugby and speaks about enjoying them both.

- Nick McCardle seems a nice guy but he doesn't get it going. Go on 9/Stan, sign Matt Burke from 10. Sports newsreader there but let him undo the top button on some sport coverage. I think he'd be good.
SBW - Agree, but I have heard kids love him, so there's that.
Horan - I can dislike the guy...
Harrison - Agree
Mitchell - Don't care either way, I think you are right through the sideline only.
Turinui - I don't mind him he's good enough
Rogers - I got sick of his standard cliche crap didn't like him at all
Ferguson - I like her. She's good so is Sera Naiqama
McCardle - Does the job his hired for.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Hooper was very good. In between 7s tournaments surely he can be involved. Horwill was impressive and he seems like a good person which Rugby need all around.

Hoiles can be interesting but not entertaining at times and he comes across as sour. Think coaching is the goal and it comes across as he's pretty critical in all his analysis.
Yeah I've got the same thoughts re: Hoiles.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cheika involved again either

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
SBW - Agree, but I have heard kids love him, so there's that.
Horan - I can dislike the guy...
Harrison - Agree
Mitchell - Don't care either way, I think you are right through the sideline only.
Turinui - I don't mind him he's good enough
Rogers - I got sick of his standard cliche crap didn't like him at all
Ferguson - I like her. She's good so is Sera Naiqama
McCardle - Does the job his hired for.

Kids just love seeing a jacked guy and looking up his shoulder charge highlight from the Bulldogs.

They don't listen to the noises coming out of his mouth.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree about Harrison - he is a bit hold hands and singalong when it comes to players - being the RUPA boss and all.

He will never be able to be overly critical - I mean they used him in the review FFS. Was he open and honest at the WC etc (like SBW)? Can he even be open and honest when he is the RUPA boss (how can he criticise players) and if RA uses him for independent reviews, how can he publicly voice issues with them and NOT be declared bias in those reviews?

I think the commentators need to be pundits and entertainers with no RA or any other professional affiliations, they need to amp it up a bit.

That's why I liked Rodgers. Horwill was a bit light on - obviously hooper was never going to be vocal because he was negotiating a new contract - morgan is good but still has the oldy goldy wallabies gig.

Its actually why i FINALLY liked sbw - he said what he meant and meant what he said, no filters.
I reckon if Harrison leaves his RUPA gig, then I think he can be good - his brain is good enough to analyse what's going on, but I agree, at the moment he's stuck between three camps - the players, RA, and the fans who want good content.

Totally agree definitely not for commentating the game - he's just too slow - but pre/mid/post game and the weekly shows go for it.