• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah the A league is going to feel some pain I think here.
I was watching fox sports the other day - the news channel was AFL, NRL then random global sports. Very little on rugby and even less Australian soccer. Fair enough as they dont televise supe and a-league, but seems a little small minded.

JRugby2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah the A league is going to feel some pain I think here.
I was watching fox sports the other day - the news channel was AFL, NRL then random global sports. Very little on rugby and even less Australian soccer. Fair enough as they dont televise supe and a-league, but seems a little small minded.
They don't directly benefit from talking about sports that they don't broadcast, so they don't talk about them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I am not sure it is so surprising that fox sports don't care about showing other sports when they've got bulk NRL and AFL content to churn through as well.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Further to the Paramount article. News, has an article indicating 10's days are numbered, is well worth a read its very very very very long, and quite detailed.

Embattled broadcaster Network 10 is facing “serious turmoil” amid failing programs, sliding ratings, an ad revenue crisis, and a messy ownership battle at its American parent company.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^
Further to the News article on 10 above.

Wonders aloud

Murdoch has wanted 10 for decades and tried to buy in when it was in receivership but Paramount piped him at the post at the last minute...

News, reporting 10 is going under, hhhhmmmm.... Fox and News have always wanted a FTA. Just think if Murdoch buys 10 from Paramount Global, uses it as was said to be part of his plan to help run major sport by being FTA, Stream, Subscription and Print.

He had permission to buy last time and put in his bid, and as I said Paramount piped him at the post.. and getting that permission to buy took over 12 months..

Last edited:

JRugby2

Allen Oxlade (6)
^^^^^
Further to the News article on 10 above.

Wonders aloud

Murdoch has wanted 10 for decades and tried to buy in when it was in receivership but Paramount piped him at the post at the last minute...

News, reporting 10 is going under, hhhhmmmm.... Fox and News have always wanted a FTA. Just think if Murdoch buys 10 from Paramount Global, uses it as was said to be part of his plan to help run major sport by being FTA, Stream, Subscription and Print.

He had permission to buy last time and put in his bid, and as I said Paramount piped him at the post.. and getting that permission to buy took over 12 months..

Love the cynicism (truly, I do) but they're quoting researchers and media industry experts in the article saying that 10's position is untenable - maybe there is something behind NC shining a light on it but there is definitely a lot of smoke anyway. 4th behind the ABC last year and no light at the end of this dark tunnel

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was a bit disappointing this morning to see Offsiders on ABC have no mention of Rugby. While I have gotten used to this as a long time viewer, surely a 10 second mention of the conditions in Sydney last night could have made to cut?

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Super Rugby Pacific last nighjt
Average 136,000 (BVOD 7,000) [Reach 541,000]

Tracker

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Total TV Overnight Top 30 Programs
SUPER RUGBY PACIFIC 2024
Nine166,00043,0004,000
SUPER RUGBY PACIFIC 2024Nine541,000136,0007,000
I am not being biased since I am a Tahs fan, but if the Tahs were firing, you would get a much higher number. NSW and QLD are our strongest markets.

Really hoping the Reds secure a home semi or quarter, so hopefully we'' get decent numbers

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair play to them.

Last night's NRLW Origin match was higher rating free to air (by average audience) than any NRL or AFL match this year.

Footyindustryau on Twitter -
NRL Womens State of Origin 1 rated a record average audience -and in the process smashing the previous Nine broadcast record for NRLW Origins – of 941,000 (including BVOD of 128,000) with a reach of 1.983 million. (Data: VOZ)

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fair play to them.

Last night's NRLW Origin match was higher rating free to air (by average audience) than any NRL or AFL match this year.

Footyindustryau on Twitter -
What does reach mean? Is that a guess at how many are watching each TV?

The number surprises me, we have a TV at work that often has league on it and I don't think anyone knew the game was on.

Dirkgee96

Frank Row (1)
What does reach mean? Is that a guess at how many are watching each TV?

The number surprises me, we have a TV at work that often has league on it and I don't think anyone knew the game was on.
Reach is the number of people who watched for at least 30 seconds. It's a number cooked up by the FTA channels that is apparently the same as what websites use to determine their views.

I'm a bit suspicious though and I think it's just a way to hide the FTAs increasing decline over the last decade.

Still that NRLW origin number is impressive even looking at the old average audience measurement