• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

Yeah Cricket Australia have done a great job establishing the tournament and deserve a lot of credit, Channel 10 also came to the party offering enough coverage to get it into people's homes and build awareness.

I like the mercenary status of players, for whatever reason it seems to work well, it seems to be a game built on the entertainment value rather then parochialism which is unique Australian sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
To be fair though, it is far easier to take the family to a game of cricket in the summer then it is to take the kids to the footy in the winter.

League / AFL / Union need their parochialism otherwise no one will show up given that its cold and shitty and you could just watch on tv.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I like the mercenary status of players, for whatever reason it seems to work well, it seems to be a game built on the entertainment value rather then parochialism which is unique Australian sport.

It works well because cricket is the most individual team sport there is. There's really nothing team about cricket. It's who has the best players and therefore players can just slot in and perform.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Loving the new deal for AUS rugby. We still have a lot of work to do to compete with the likes of league and AFL, but it looks like we at least wont have to spend the next 4 years worrying about financial ruin.

My gut says the new conference system will be a winner for us too. less games in unwatchable timeslots, more games against the kiwis. The next 4 years is looking positive.

I'd like to think that some of those FTA games will be games played in SA at 2 or 3am Sunday morning. That makes it practically live.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's a simple game, anybody can understand it, the rules are clear, and there is plenty of action.

That's what the people want, folks.

Cricket is simple, but so is the schedule. With the exception of two or three day you know you can sit down and watch a game.

I would suggest if there was no such thing as T20 and you could play NRC in summer that you would get good ratings if FTA had a Rugby game with 70-100 points a game every night.

Another key to T20 ratings is lack of competition, most households have the TV on when someone is home, they are not going to read a book when there is no new shows to watch, they just have a choice between a live game of big hitting cricket or the thousandth rerun of a shit sitcom.

The big question is what would T20 ratings be like if it was against new season programs on 7 and 9?

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
The big question is what would T20 ratings be like if it was against new season programs on 7 and 9?

Or alternatively if it were played in the same season and so compete with rugby, league, AFL and soccer.

Lack of alternatives surely plays a part in it's success.

T

TOCC

FFA are looking to get $80million/annum for the A-League broadcast rights when they expire in 2017

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They'll probably get it. Fox may be desperate for anything to retain football subscribers. BeIN has been buying up club football left right and center, ESPN seems to have a monopoly on the European internationals, and Optus went big and bought the EPL. They're down to 2 La Liga games a week and the A-league come the start of the 16/17 seasons. Speculation is good fun.

The curious thing to me, at least, is the attitude I've observed online to BeIN's presence in the football market. For quite a long time, I've seen fans of soccer, and for that matter all sports, complain about the prohibitive cost and lack of choice in the Subscription Television model, longing for an Online Sports equivalent to Netflix or Amazon Video. And yet, there's what I can describe as a despising towards BeIN, despite having a lot of the things they're looking for. Admittedly, the lack of HD, no Chromecast or Apple TV support, poor mobile app and less than fabulous catch up abilities are frustrating, but it's a non-long term contract internet service, with many European leagues and Cups, for what I think is 20ish dollars a month? Whereas for the most basic of Foxtel packages, you'd be paying about $60 a month, on a contract, for Standard definition sport.

I digress. New year, good deal has emerged for the ARU, hopefully the FTA coverage is sufficient to encourage either live NRC or Super Rugby on FTA in the future, if a Global Rugby Streaming service has not emerged by then ;)

T

TOCC

Not exactly broadcast rights but still relevant, the BBL got 80'000 people to a game at the MCG last night. The trajectory of this competition is astonishing, established only a few years ago it's now getting ratings and crowds which put many of the other codes and completions to shame.

With the NRC signing up for a further 5 year I think there's a few learning points that the ARU could take from how the BBL was established.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
With the NRC signing up for a further 5 year I think there's a few learning points that the ARU could take from how the BBL was established.

Okay, I'll bite. What are the lessons?

The only one that springs to my mind is that the BBL is a form of cricket that is hugely suited to a mass television audience.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Get big international stars and household Aussie names playing top tier cricket every night during holidays on free to air with no real competition from other sports.

To be honest, not sure the NRC can take much away from that at all......

T

TOCC

Right, so there's absolutely nothing that the NRC could adopt from the BBL?

How about their marketing, match day experience, fan interaction or nature of broadcast coverage(referring to quality not quantity).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Right, so there's absolutely nothing that the NRC could adopt from the BBL?

How about their marketing, match day experience, fan interaction or nature of broadcast coverage(referring to quality not quantity).

I reckon Super Rugby is going to be looking at the lessons (but so will everyone else so will be really hard to make any progress based on that)

NRC is so far from this level that there really isn't much they can take from it.

T

TOCC

NRC is so far from this level that there really isn't much they can take from it.

I really can't agree with this sort of sentiment, and what scares me is that I think some of the administrators in this code hold similar opinions.

You honestly don't see any ways that the NRC could improve their matchday experience like the BBL? There no way they could Improve broadcasting quality or player interaction like the BBL?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
According to today's "Hurled", the BBL is 9th on the list of the 10 most popular sports competitions world-wide, based upon average crowd attendances (28,279). This number is possibly a bit rubbery, because of the extraordinary MCG crowd of 80,000 a couple of weeks ago. Incidentally, the AFL is 5th on the list with 33,428.

And Tennis Australia is "in talks with Channels 7 and 9" to transform the "Fast 4" concept into a team-based tournament featuring the world's best players.

Faster, shorter, brighter and less complex is what FTA wants.

This is the future, it is coming, ready or not.